Women's Championsleague

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Even the male Asian Champions League is split into East and West until the final. If even that needs such a measure, I can't see the women getting a group stage. Also, the CONCACAF one really struggles with costs.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Lorric wrote:Even the male Asian Champions League is split into East and West until the final. If even that needs such a measure, I can't see the women getting a group stage. Also, the CONCACAF one really struggles with costs.
Asia is a lot bigger then Europe, and also has almost no good club teams in the middle part of the continent. So it makes sence to limit the travel distance.
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

I'd introduce a group stage rather sooner than later. Two groups of four, followed by semi-finals.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

spoonman wrote:I'd introduce a group stage rather sooner than later. Two groups of four, followed by semi-finals.
That thought entered my head too, but if long distance is crippling to teams even that might not work. Russia's Rossiyanka were seeded in the last 16, and were unfortunate to draw Bayern. That club is based in Western Russia though, so nowhere near as bad as getting a Kazakh club. There was a Kazakh club in the last 16 though. PSG took them out, though if they'd drawn a weaker seed, such as Rossiyanka, could they have got through?
AnelZ

Post by AnelZ »

Well, SFK 2000 didn't hat much problem to play against Rossiyanka when it comes to financial burden although they operate on a very slim budget. But then again Rossiyanka essentially plays in suburb of Moscow and Moscow is well connected. If they had played against someone from Kazakhstan, I'm not able to comment if it would pose a threat on their liquidity.
Doživjeti možda neću da prođeš u finale
i da velikog Reala pobjediš na penale...
SteffenM

Post by SteffenM »

Also important to remeber clubs like Man City and PSG put alot of money into their women team right now.
While the Danish and Italien clubs for instance still are going with very small budgets. So their is big difference on what the clubs are capable of.

However, it should be decided by sports performances and not money.
So as long Danish and Italien clubs are going to the final 16 and final 8's, with slim budgets, they shouldn't be excluded because of a wish of GS.

If Women should have a GS, UEFA needs to put more money into it.
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

SteffenM wrote: If Women should have a GS, UEFA needs to put more money into it.
Yes, that goes without saying. I guess TV stations from France, Germany, Scandinavia (or Eurosport as a pan-European broadcaster) would pay a half-decent amount of money for the TV rights of a group phase with 8 teams. That alone should cover the travel expenses.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

PSG has reportedly made a megabucks offer for Barsa's Jenni Hermoso, who starred in Barsa's quarterfinal and semifinal games against Rosengard and PSG in the CL this season.
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Lyon won today their ... 11th title in a row in the French League. They have a 8-point lead over Montpellier with 2 games left.
They however have to play 3 times PSG in their last 4 games, (i) in the domestic league, (ii) in the French Cup final and then obviously (iii) in the Champions League final where they'll try to defend their crown.
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Today, VfL Wolfsburg have won their third Bundesliga title, despite losing 2-0 at Freiburg. Bayern München are now in the driving seat regarding CL qualification. After winning 4-0 at Turbine Potsdam, Bayern are now 2 points ahead of Potsdam, with one matchday to go.
scapulaire24

Post by scapulaire24 »

Lyon and Montpellier will play CL next year.
PSG needs to win the Champion's League if they want to return in CL.
Malko

Post by Malko »

It's crazy, that unlike with the men, the best nations like France do not have 4 participants.
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

It's not crazy, it's common sense. There are only two top nations at the moment. If you gave them 4 slots each, you'd kill the Champions League.
Malko

Post by Malko »

..well with teams like Barcelona and Manchester City, you also could give England and Spain a sport more.....3 for France and Germany, 2 for England and Spain
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

if you want to evolve women football in other countries you should NOT do that. It would be killing football, just like men CL is killing the football in the not so rich countries.......