Europa League Group Stage - Matchday 1

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

Gent is a better side than Braga. Seems like everybody forgot about last season already...
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

It could have been a fantastic week for Greeece if Panathinaikos didn't throw the game as usually in Europe...that Bulgarian center back was tragic and they gave a silly penalty. Ajax is not a good team but they took the win...
Good draw for PAOK against the strongest team of the group, they should have no problems for qualifying if they are serious against the other two teams.
Olympiacos took an expected away win, everything below 13-15 points will be a surprise.

Finally APOEL took a huge, huge win against Astana in a group where home points are gold ! Πάμε Θρύλε !
Digitaldude555

Post by Digitaldude555 »

Great win for Beer Sheva really takes the sting of the Maccabi loss, I'd imagine that Southhampton is leagues above Inter but I think Beer Sheva can squeak into the top 2.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Malko wrote:haha Burning Storm, Balotelli just failed to equalize...a 1-1 was near. and French teams showed they can play on the level of English and German teams this week. Germany failed vs England ...and a lot.
France also won vs Spain. Let's see the first spanish-german duel......
Gee, I hadn't realized that Sassuolo is a French team. :rollfloor: :rollfloor:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Gorandinho wrote:Gent is a better side than Braga. Seems like everybody forgot about last season already...
They're definitely favourites for 2nd now.
Zarastro

Post by Zarastro »

Malko wrote:haha Burning Storm, Balotelli just failed to equalize...a 1-1 was near. and French teams showed they can play on the level of English and German teams this week. Germany failed vs England ...and a lot.
Schalke came immediately after Balotelli's chance a lot closer to scoring. Nice had exactly 1 good attempt the whole game. Schalke probably close to 10. A 0:3 would have been deserved.

And when did a Spanish team lose to a French team?
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Zarastro wrote: And when did a Spanish team lose to a French team?
He is talking about the CL playoffs Monaco vs. Villarreal, after Villarreals coach was fired and their team wasn't the same as last season.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

And the final ac-counting :wink: : 37 goals first set; 24 second set = 61 in 24 games for 2.54 gpg.

Unfortunate--we had a period of a bit over 20 minutes in the second half of the second set during which ONE goal was scored . . .
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

AlanK wrote:
He meant Monaco vs Villarreal. Just wait for him to bring up how French teams to better against the Spanish than Germans do after Gladbach loses against Barcelona.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

BurningStorm wrote:
Zarastro wrote: And when did a Spanish team lose to a French team?
He is talking about the CL playoffs Monaco vs. Villarreal, after Villarreals coach was fired and their team wasn't the same as last season.
(Don't tell him that I knew exactly what he meant . . . hee, hee, hee :P :P :P ) Although I gotta admit, Monaco woulda beat Villarreal today . . .
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Thunder_PT wrote:
AlanK wrote:
He meant Monaco vs Villarreal. Just wait for him to bring up how French teams to better against the Spanish than Germans do after Gladbach loses against Barcelona.
That's exactly what I thought when he started his new topic. :mrgreen:

@Alan: :dontknow: :wink1:
jmf

Post by jmf »

Club-Mate wrote:
Malko wrote:There will be a revolution in Saint-Etienne if they lose that match....a revolution with the supporters. They will not stand that shame.
whom they play? Dudelange?
This guy has a huge problem with Germany...
SirHenri

Post by SirHenri »

Best results for me Schalke, Feyernoord and of course Be'er Sheva ! All in all, I'm totally satisfied today.

More please. But damn, two weeks of waiting.
Krys

Post by Krys »

Thunder_PT wrote:The key of this game was that weird indirect freekick given which led to the 3-2. I don't know what the ref saw there. Maccabi's player made a clean tackle. That player was virtually sent off, as he made a foul seconds earlier that would be the 2nd yellow card, but the ref gave the advantage. He sent him off later for that foul, but the indirect free kick I don't understand. Is it because that player shouldn't have been on the pitch anymore? Never heard of that rule.
Well we had this moment commented in details by the experts. It seems that this is quite unique situation and nobody except the ref heard about this rule :D
As the player shouldn't have been on the pitch but he finally touched the ball - indirect free kick - it is written in the rules.

Bravo, referee :applause:
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Krys wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:The key of this game was that weird indirect freekick given which led to the 3-2. I don't know what the ref saw there. Maccabi's player made a clean tackle. That player was virtually sent off, as he made a foul seconds earlier that would be the 2nd yellow card, but the ref gave the advantage. He sent him off later for that foul, but the indirect free kick I don't understand. Is it because that player shouldn't have been on the pitch anymore? Never heard of that rule.
Well we had this moment commented in details by the experts. It seems that this is quite unique situation and nobody except the ref heard about this rule :D
As the player shouldn't have been on the pitch but he finally touched the ball - indirect free kick - it is written in the rules.

Bravo, referee :applause:
We learn everyday :) Such a rare scenario, I don't think I've ever seen it.

However, I maintain that if this is the rule than the ref MUST let the player know he's off.