Europa League Group Stage - Matchday 1

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

“I know The Fiver is supposed to be ironic and world-weary and all that but … Big Vase is fantastic! Manchester United beaten by teams you can’t pronounce, much less spell, two years on the bounce. More schadenfreude than you can shake a stick at and a first look at the players the Premier League will blow all their money on in January. Plus teams from countries in Europe that you can’t place on a map scoring amazing goals against teams you’ve kind of heard of. Big Vase makes me smile, cheer, gasp and completely forget about how lousy my life is. What else is football supposed to do? Yours from a beach in Hawaii. Yes, really” – Joe Mercer.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

bugylibicska wrote:“I know The Fiver is supposed to be ironic and world-weary and all that but … Big Vase is fantastic! Manchester United beaten by teams you can’t pronounce, much less spell, two years on the bounce. More schadenfreude than you can shake a stick at and a first look at the players the Premier League will blow all their money on in January. Plus teams from countries in Europe that you can’t place on a map scoring amazing goals against teams you’ve kind of heard of. Big Vase makes me smile, cheer, gasp and completely forget about how lousy my life is. What else is football supposed to do? Yours from a beach in Hawaii. Yes, really” – Joe Mercer.
Even though he seems to be genuinely praising the EL, which we need more of, he can't spell Feyenoord? It's not an obscure team. He can't place countries on a map and never heard of teams? Just coming off as ignorant, to be honest.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

bugylibicska wrote:“I know The Fiver is supposed to be ironic and world-weary and all that but … Big Vase is fantastic! Manchester United beaten by teams you can’t pronounce, much less spell, two years on the bounce. More schadenfreude than you can shake a stick at and a first look at the players the Premier League will blow all their money on in January. Plus teams from countries in Europe that you can’t place on a map scoring amazing goals against teams you’ve kind of heard of. Big Vase makes me smile, cheer, gasp and completely forget about how lousy my life is. What else is football supposed to do? Yours from a beach in Hawaii. Yes, really” – Joe Mercer.
Another tard. Talking like Feyenoord are some no name club in some backwater that's never done anything. I'd be critical of that if it was a post on here, never mind some clown that gets paid to write shit like that, and then complain their life is shit when they get paid to write articles on football when they don't know shit about football teams. These people have no respect for the game.

Unless I'm totally missing the point and the idea is to purposely have people writing the articles who don't know shit about football. That would actually make a lot of sense with the complete lack of any substance or insight to this stuff, though I still don't get why they exist at all. Supposedly to be humorous? Though perhaps humorous to people who aren't into football, and who have the same sneering attitude towards it? That's like the only thing that would make this make sense to me.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Thunder_PT wrote:
Even though he seems to be genuinely praising the EL, which we need more of, he can't spell Feyenoord? It's not an obscure team. He can't place countries on a map and never heard of teams? Just coming off as ignorant, to be honest.
Oh, finally someone besides me has a pop at one of these things! :banana: :lol:

Seriously, I genuinely wonder is it only me who gets bothered by any of them? Since no one else ever talks about them which leaves only bugy who obviously likes them or he wouldn't post them.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Well, he`s from Hawaii. Lots of people in America don`t know even the name of their own capital, so I`m not surprised he`d never heard of Feyenoord. Maybe I`ve a very twisted sense of humour, but he came across as funny to me. Funnier than Malko for sure. :lol:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Lorric wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:

Seriously, I genuinely wonder is it only me who gets bothered by any of them? Since no one else ever talks about them which leaves only bugy who obviously likes them or he wouldn't post them.
I think you`re pissed off more because MU lost, than the guy`s ignorance. Maybe he remembered Midtjylland from last year and just exaggerating a bit to make his point. You`re damn right I enjoy these letters, but you seriously think I`m the only one? I realize that it irritates a lot of people that I cheer for the Russian and Ukrainian teams, they could do me a favour. Some people openly cheer against them, does it bother me, not a bit, rather Zenit`s comeback felt even sweeter. A small man wants revenge, a man forgives and the wise won`t be bothered. Cheer up, it`s only a game and it could be worse. :D
Ed

Post by Ed »

bugylibicska wrote:A small man wants revenge, a man forgives and the wise won`t be bothered. Cheer up, it`s only a game and it could be worse. :D
+10 Bugy, very wise words there for just an average Saturday morning.
I'm glad this forum can still amaze me sometimes, despite all the drab in general. :D

O yeah, and I wanna add: keep those Fiver letters coming please. I like them as a fresh wind after a few scorching hot summer days.

And "Funnier than Malko" that's just a cheap shot ! :mrgreen:
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

At bugy,

I, for one, am quite happy to have a big fan of the Eastern European teams here on the Forum. Your basic attitude here is refreshing. Keep up the quality posts--even if I don't read every word of the Brit columnists' articles. :mrgreen:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Thanks a lot guys standing up for the ``minority``. :D I feel like Stuart Malley in the "Daily Affirmation With Stuart Smalley" :
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." :lol:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

bugylibicska wrote:
Lorric wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:

I think you`re pissed off more because MU lost, than the guy`s ignorance. Maybe he remembered Midtjylland from last year and just exaggerating a bit to make his point. You`re damn right I enjoy these letters, but you seriously think I`m the only one? I realize that it irritates a lot of people that I cheer for the Russian and Ukrainian teams, they could do me a favour. Some people openly cheer against them, does it bother me, not a bit, rather Zenit`s comeback felt even sweeter. A small man wants revenge, a man forgives and the wise won`t be bothered. Cheer up, it`s only a game and it could be worse. :D
No, it's nothing to do with that. Remember I said I was struggling to care that United got robbed by the linesman.

I have no idea if you're the only one who likes them, or I'm the only one who is bothered by them. I'd like to know the answer to both questions. I just get this really strong feeling they aren't into the game and are pointing and laughing at it and those of us who are into it and think they're above it and us. Which is much worse than mere ignorance. But when you add that to the package as well...

https://youtu.be/RoRlLbqLm-c

I don't have any problem with you, I like you. :smile1:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Lorric wrote:
bugylibicska wrote:
Lorric wrote: Oh, finally someone besides me has a pop at one of these things! :banana: :lol:

No, it's nothing to do with that. Remember I said I was struggling to care that United got robbed by the linesman.

I have no idea if you're the only one who likes them, or I'm the only one who is bothered by them. I'd like to know the answer to both questions. I just get this really strong feeling they aren't into the game and are pointing and laughing at it and those of us who are into it and think they're above it and us. Which is much worse than mere ignorance. But when you add that to the package as well...

https://youtu.be/RoRlLbqLm-c

I don't have any problem with you, I like you. :smile1:
That was sweet from you! Well, you can see I`m not the only one who likes these letters, but I`ve no clue if you`re the only one who`s bothered by them, probably not. Those who laugh at us and think they`re above us, I cannot help them, but I don`t see hidden maliciousness in his post only pure schadenfreude. And when a team like MU losing you can expect nothing less. :)
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Can't see why someone should be bothered by that letter. Some dude, following "soccer" from Hawaii, made wrote a letter to the editor that - at least for me - was intended to be sarcastic. Teams that you can't spell, from countries that you can't place on a map. Wunderbar. Can't think of a better way to mock ManUtd. More of that please...
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

greenbay wrote:Can't see why someone should be bothered by that letter. Some dude, following "soccer" from Hawaii, made wrote a letter to the editor that - at least for me - was intended to be sarcastic. Teams that you can't spell, from countries that you can't place on a map. Wunderbar. Can't think of a better way to mock ManUtd. More of that please...
Well Watford might be about to supply you some. They're beating United right now.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Lorric wrote:
greenbay wrote:Can't see why someone should be bothered by that letter. Some dude, following "soccer" from Hawaii, made wrote a letter to the editor that - at least for me - was intended to be sarcastic. Teams that you can't spell, from countries that you can't place on a map. Wunderbar. Can't think of a better way to mock ManUtd. More of that please...
Well Watford might be about to supply you some. They're beating United right now.
Man. U. tied; then Juan Camilo Zúñiga and Troy Deeney made it 3-1 for Watford at 84' and 90'+ respectively. :applause: :applause: :applause:
:offtopic: Incidentally, it would be "interesting" to watch Watford and hear an English announcer try to pronounce "Zúñiga." :twisted:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

AlanK wrote:
Lorric wrote:
Man. U. tied; then Juan Camilo Zúñiga and Troy Deeney made it 3-1 for Watford at 84' and 90'+ respectively. :applause: :applause: :applause:
:offtopic: Incidentally, it would be "interesting" to watch Watford and hear an English announcer try to pronounce "Zúñiga." :twisted:
I watched the last 30mins. Zooneega. Is that right?