CLGS Matchday 6

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Firnen wrote: Leverkusen went undefeated (!) and followed the French in the last 16. They are probably the weakest team of the last 16 for me.
I respect your opinion, but it sounds a bit harsh after dominating the other last 16 team Monaco (the second game wasn't important anymore with two b-teams against each other, but the first was) and Tottenham twice. They struggled against CSKA and that's the reason they are "only" 2nd in this group. 4 points against Spurs & Monaco, only 2 points against CSKA after leading 2-0 in the first game at home with a huge chance to score the 3-0. And Leverkusen had to play the whole group stage without Bellarabi, maybe their best player. He should be ready in the next round.

I'd say teams like Benfica, Porto, Leverkusen, Leicester, Monaco and Napoli are on a similar level. I can't say which one of them is the best and which one the worst. Since Roger Schmidt is coach, they beat Benfica two years ago (CL group stage) and Sporting last season (twice, EL KO stage) - so they like to face teams from Portugal - and Leicester are not in a good shape, their CL group was very easy and they are not experienced.

edit: In the last 3 CL seasons, Leverkusen have lost only 5 of 20 games. Opponents: Barcelona, Atletico, Zenit, AS Roma, Benfica, Monaco (2x), Tottenham, CSKA and BATE.
jmf

Post by jmf »

Firnen wrote:
Overgame wrote:
Firnen wrote:I think Club Brugge is one of the worse teams ever to play in a Champions League group. In such a group with Leicester, Porto and Kopenhagen they took 0 (!!!) points !! That's unbelievable and I can't understand how this team are champions in Belgium, a country where its other european teams are decent in the Europa League !
Easy.
FORTY FUCKING GAMES. And The last 10 games count double. So last year, when Gent and Anderlecht had to play their European Games, Brugge was happily resting. And in 2016/2017, Zulte-Waregem (not qualified in Europe), Ostende (not qualified in Europe) and Charleroi are actually sitting in the top 6, while Standard and Genk aren't.
At first, allow me to comment that the Belgian system is idiotic. It is completely unfair to have your points halved, a team that was better all year long and had a bad streak in April is heavily damaged. Totally unfair. Now, ignoring this, having European games is hardly an excuse for underperforming in the championship. In championships nearly as strong as the Belgian like Turkey, Switzerland, Czechia, Netherlands and Greece ( I don't include Ukraine due to the known not-football reasons that alter the championship the last 2 years), we hardly see a team underperforming so badly in Europe while beating their better-performing-in-Europe opponents in the championship. It's just strange :p
1) As i said, if I may, there isn't a huge gap between the teams in Belgium. For exemple the gap between 1st (Zulte) and 6 th = 4 points. In the NL = 15 ! And Zulte has less points in 17 matches than Ajax and Fejenoord in 15. In Greece, Olympiacos has 7 points ahead after... 10 games ! There's one team in Switzerland with 12 points ahead.

2) Bruges was poor in the beginning of the season with 5W-4L-1D in Jupiler League. And so in the CL. The first "good" match was at home vs Porto. They deserved to win the game. In the end with 0/12, I think the main goal since then was to be focused on the championship.
Yesterday Bruges played with #1 keeper but 7 players out of 10 were B-team players. Bruges has a top match in Anderlecht on sunday. So... But it's clear this CL season was a shame.
jmf

Post by jmf »

jmf wrote:
Firnen wrote:
Overgame wrote:
Easy.
FORTY FUCKING GAMES. And The last 10 games count double. So last year, when Gent and Anderlecht had to play their European Games, Brugge was happily resting. And in 2016/2017, Zulte-Waregem (not qualified in Europe), Ostende (not qualified in Europe) and Charleroi are actually sitting in the top 6, while Standard and Genk aren't.
At first, allow me to comment that the Belgian system is idiotic. It is completely unfair to have your points halved, a team that was better all year long and had a bad streak in April is heavily damaged. Totally unfair. Now, ignoring this, having European games is hardly an excuse for underperforming in the championship. In championships nearly as strong as the Belgian like Turkey, Switzerland, Czechia, Netherlands and Greece ( I don't include Ukraine due to the known not-football reasons that alter the championship the last 2 years), we hardly see a team underperforming so badly in Europe while beating their better-performing-in-Europe opponents in the championship. It's just strange :p
1) As i said, if I may, there isn't a huge gap between the teams in Belgium. For exemple the gap between 1st (Zulte) and 6 th = 4 points. In the NL = 15 ! And Zulte has less points in 17 matches than Ajax and Fejenoord in 15. In Greece, Olympiacos has 7 points ahead after... 10 games ! There's one team in Switzerland with 12 points ahead. So the points lost after an european match are a clear fact in Belgium because the opponent in never "weak"by comparison with the so-called "biggest" club.

2) Bruges was poor in the beginning of the season with 5W-4L-1D in Jupiler League. And so in the CL. The first "good" match was at home vs Porto. They deserved to win the game. In the end with 0/12, I think the main goal since then was to be focused on the championship.
Yesterday Bruges played with #1 keeper but 7 players out of 10 were B-team players. Bruges has a top match in Anderlecht on sunday. So... But it's clear this CL season was a shame.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

The simulator gave me :arrow:

Real Madrid-Leicester Most one-sided of this simulation.
Bayern M.-Barça Too soon.
Sevilla-Monaco Bring ém on :!:
Porto-Napoli Good draw for both.
Bayer L.-Arsenal Great draw for both--they can't BOTH lose :!: :mrgreen:
Benfica-Atlético Iberia rocks :!:
PSG-Borussia D. :applause: :applause: Really wanna see this one :!:
Man. City-Juve :up: :up:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Malko

Post by Malko »

I consider Barca , atletico and Real the best three.

I compare then Paris and Monaco with teams like Dortmund, Juve, Bayern, arsenal.

the others a little below....the weakest seems to be Leicester
Malko

Post by Malko »

AlanKwhy would be Bayern Barca too soon. The years before, bayern went through without meeting in the beginning a strong opponent.......while other strong teams eliminated each other very soon.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

SteffenM wrote:Well I have heard both Arsenal will def. draw Real and also def. draw Bayern München

So there's 38,504 % chance there's one who can say
"I told you" ;)

Arsenal would have a chance against Real Madrid, insists Wenger
8 December 2016

Arsene Wenger believes Arsenal could beat Real Madrid if the teams were drawn together in the Champions League last 16.

The Gunners finished top of their group after beating Basel on matchday six, while rivals Paris Saint-Germain dropped two points against Ludogorets.

Arsenal will now face a second-placed team in the first knockout round, with Madrid and Bayern Munich among their potential opponents.

But Wenger says Arsenal fear no-one.

"You look at the teams we can get, some look more prestigious, more difficult, and you would like me to say 'I don't want this team or that team' but that would put us already in an inferior position if it happens," Wenger said at a news conference.

"You can take Real Madrid, one of the favourites to win the competition, even against them we will have a chance of qualifying.

"Another inconvenient fact for us, we have not qualified for the last six years for the quarter-finals. That will be a huge challenge for my group and they will relish that."

Arsenal turn their attention to the Premier League again after their win over Basel, the Emirates Stadium side sitting second in the table after 14 matches, and Wenger is optimistic about his side's chances of battling for the title.

"I believe we have a good team dynamic and a very strong team spirit," he added ahead of this weekend's clash with Stoke.

"We are more mature than in previous years. Unfortunately, the same goes for the other teams. The Premier League is very open and interesting, there are a lot of good teams.

"We are in the middle of the fight for the title. We have a chance. December is an important month, we have some big games coming up. I am happy with the way we behave and our desire."
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Never before in the CL had a team concede the least goals in their group and finish 4th. This year both Sporting and Dynamo Kiev did it. :o
Aliceag

Post by Aliceag »

Disgrace for Sporting, however I have to point the 2 handballs not given at around minute 55. Those could be crucial in the end, we really need new technologies now. Still, Sporting has to blame themselves from being so poor scoring. They "almost" won all games and "deserved" to win all games, and ended up winning only 1. This is not acceptable, not even probabilistically, even math is against that team.

Benfica wasted a 3 goal lead in MD5 and a sure qualification by then. That was also a turning point. Ending up 2nd with 8 points is not a good result. They should be discussing 1st place in last MD.

Porto also wasted qualification on MD5 and should have been discussing 1st place on MD6. Ending up with 11 points and a massive destruction against the B team of the Champions of England is a very meager consolation. I take those 7 coeff points earned by them on MD6 as the "minimum acceptable" reward for all this disgraceful campaign by the Portuguese teams, but I'm not happy at all....

Well... for me the race is already over. I just hope we can at least get Leicester for Benfica or Napoli for Porto. Or Monaco for any of them if we want to settle things with France, but too late now...
Play fair and square!
SteffenM

Post by SteffenM »

Kutuz_off wrote:Image
You shouldn't happend to have the same magic for EL?
Maybe after the last match tomorrow? :)
Todor

Post by Todor »

SteffenM wrote:
Kutuz_off wrote:Image
You shouldn't happend to have the same magic for EL?
Maybe after the last match tomorrow? :)
For the EL the possibilities are much more even, as relatively speaking the number of constraints is far smaller compared to the open options.

If in CL a team has three constraints, it leaves it with 5 options, which increases the possibility of drawing any of possible teams from 12.5 to 20%

In EL it will still have 13 options, so the possibility of drawing any of the possible teams will raise from 1/16 to 1/13, or from 6.25 to 7.7 %.
FEPG

Post by FEPG »

My preferred fixtures would be:

Bayern - Monaco
Real Madrid - Leicester
Man City - Napoli
Paris - Dortmund
Sevilla - Arsenal
Benfica - Juventus
Porto - Atlético
Leverkusen - Barcelona
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

qualification to the Round of 16 in the last 5 seasons (2013-17), i.e. 16x5=80 teams

clubs:
5 - Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern, PSG, Real Madrid
4 - Atletico, Dortmund, Juventus, Man City
3 - Chelsea, Leverkusen, Porto, Schalke
2 - Benfica, Galatasaray, Man United, Milan, Monaco, Shakhtar, Zenit
1 - Basel, Celtic, Gent, D. Kiev, Leicester, Malaga, Napoli, Olympiakos, PSV, Roma, Sevilla, Valencia, Wolfsburg

countries:
17 - Spain
16 - Germany
15 - England
8 - Italy
7 - France
5 - Portugal
3 - Ukraine
2 - Russia, Turkey
1 - Belgium, Greece, Netherlands, Scotland, Switzerland
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

whoscored marks after GS

using the average of the best 3 performances

Top 10 players

1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) 9.72
2. Mesut Özil (Arsenal) 8.92
3. Neymar (Barcelona) 8.85
4. Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) 8.73
5. Ousmane Dembélé (Dortmund) 8.56
6. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern) 8.41
7. Edinson Cavani (PSG) 8.35
8. Steven N'Zonzi (Sevilla) 8.31
9. André Silva (Porto) 8.30
10. Fabinho (Monaco) 8.25
etc.

Best XI

............................ A.Sanchez (Arsenal) ..............................
......... Neymar (Barcelona) - Özil (Arsenal) - Messi (Barcelona) ........
................... N'Zonzi (Sevilla) - Fabinho (Monaco) ......................
Escudero (Sevilla) - Zanka (Kobenhavn) - Felipe (Porto) - Sidibé (Monaco)
.............................. Lloris (Tottenham) ................................
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580