Automatic ELGS places vs EL Qualifiers

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Lorric

Automatic ELGS places vs EL Qualifiers

Post by Lorric »

I decided to see how many of these supposedly cream of the crop sides got through this year.

Of the 16 teams granted automatic GS places, supposedly the cream of the EL crop, 10 were eliminated.

Feyenoord, Zorya, Mainz, Standard Liege, Braga, Konyaspor, Nice, Southampton, Internazionale and Zurich were eliminated. Manchester United, Athletic Bilbao, Celta Vigo, Schalke, Fiorentina and Zenit advanced. 3 won their group. One group had three such teams thus minimum of 1 to advance, maximimum 15.

Of the 13 teams that had to qualify and didn't drop from the CL, Saint Etienne, Az Alkmaar, Genk, Gent, Krasnodar and Osmanlispor advanced. Gabala, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Austria Wien, Sassuolo, Rapid Wien, Panathinaikos and Slovan Liberec fell. 6/13 is better than 6/16. The absolute bare minimum requirement should be the auto qualifiers outperforming the qualifiers. They should be doing it convincingly.

So EL teams and CL dropouts advanced equally, 12 each. I'm going to check last season too.
Last edited by Lorric on Sat Dec 31, 2016 16:19, edited 2 times in total.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Glad I did this, last year, of the 16 auto qualifiers, 12/16 advanced, which is excellent. Liverpool, Sion, Napoli, Villarreal, Braga, Marseille, Lokomotiv Moscow, Fiorentina, Tottenham, Anderlecht, Schalke and Augsburg qualified. Groningen, Dnipro, Besiktas and Asteras were eliminated.

Of the qualifiers, Athletic Bilbao, Saint Etienne, Midtjylland, Krasnodar and Dortmund qualified. So only one less than this year. So the CL dropouts only got 7 teams through. Eliminated were Belenenses, Rosenborg, Legia Warsaw, Bordeaux, PAOK, Rubin Kazan, Dinamo Minsk, Slovan Liberec, Gabala and AZ Alkmaar were eliminated. 5/15.

The year before there were less auto GS places.

So total performance 18/32 for the auto qualifiers, 11/28 for the qualifiers.
Last edited by Lorric on Sat Dec 31, 2016 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

The results should be even. We are comparing similar teams together.

2016/2017 was "special" in the sense that teams from the top countries failed hard (Mainz, Nice, Southampton, Braga and Internazionale). Just some statistical noise.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I've made some changes to the thread following doing two years ago's results and changed the title. So now it's just statistics. Two wildly different years, too early to make judgements on what it means, and then they're going to change the allocation again in two years...
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

Lorric wrote:I've made some changes to the thread following doing two years ago's results and changed the title. So now it's just statistics. Two wildly different years, too early to make judgements on what it means, and then they're going to change the allocation again in two years...
Oh, don't worry too much about it. I remember, after the World Cup, when people were bitching about the 13 european spots.