EL Round 2 (Last 32) [2017/18]

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

For anyone wondering, Alvalade stadium is to the east of Luz stadium, so Benfica vs. Astana still holds the record of most distant teams meeting in European competitions. Sporting vs. Astana is now 2nd.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

@Italians: Will Napoli take the EL seriously? Sarri is a successful coach, but strange guy. And winning the scudetto should be important enough. They don't need the CL place after winning the EL, they'll qualify anyway in the Serie A.

Atalanta is a different thing. They remind me of Hannover 96 a few years ago. Good spirit and results, great experience for them!
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Thunder_PT wrote:For anyone wondering, Alvalade stadium is to the east of Luz stadium, so Benfica vs. Astana still holds the record of most distant teams meeting in European competitions. Sporting vs. Astana is now 2nd.
:nono:

Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Dragonite wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:For anyone wondering, Alvalade stadium is to the east of Luz stadium, so Benfica vs. Astana still holds the record of most distant teams meeting in European competitions. Sporting vs. Astana is now 2nd.
:nono:

Lisbon to Astana beats that, 6173 Km.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

No it doesn’t!

https://www.distance.to/Astana/Lisbon
https://www.distance.to/Bordeaux/Almaty,KGZ

Distance Astana -> Lisbon (6.166 Kms; Driving route 7.428 Kms)
Distance Bordeaux -> Almaty (5.968 Kms; Driving route 7.467 Kms)

At least not by driving route. :mrgreen:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Copenhagen-Atlético If Atleti doesn't win, they're not trying. Simeone threw the EL in 2013 to concentrate on the league--but Atleti has no fears of not making the top four in the league. I think Atleti is gonna go for it--and no disrespect to Copenhagen, a team I like a lot.

Spartak M.-Athletic Athletic has "awakened," and is starting to play reasonably (if not well) under Ziganda. They'll be tough, but so will Spartak, unless they do a fold-o as against Liverpool.

Lyon-Villarreal Villarreal has hit a tough patch. Lyon a slight favorite NOW . . . but Villarreal will be a slight favorite should Bruno Soriano be back from injury in good shape.

Real Sociedad-Salzburg Every time I've watched la Real against tough opposition this season, they've melted like a cube of butter on a hot stove. Salzburg the favorite 55-45.
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
TheRipper69

Post by TheRipper69 »

AlanK wrote:Copenhagen-Atlético If Atleti doesn't win, they're not trying. Simeone threw the EL in 2013 to concentrate on the league--but Atleti has no fears of not making the top four in the league. I think Atleti is gonna go for it--and no disrespect to Copenhagen, a team I like a lot.

Spartak M.-Athletic Athletic has "awakened," and is starting to play reasonably (if not well) under Ziganda. They'll be tough, but so will Spartak, unless they do a fold-o as against Liverpool.

Lyon-Villarreal Villarreal has hit a tough patch. Lyon a slight favorite NOW . . . but Villarreal will be a slight favorite should Bruno Soriano be back from injury in good shape.

Real Sociedad-Salzburg Every time I've watched la Real against tough opposition this season, they've melted like a cube of butter on a hot stove. Salzburg the favorite 55-45.
Don't know mate, I feel Atlético could be afraid of not getting the 3rd place...
I don't see this year the mega Spain as in other years...

But this round, I think Atleti and Athletic are going through and maybe Real Sociedad (looks a 50-50 match)
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

The British coach Graham Potter and his Östersund, which also includes several other British players, will then take on Arsenal. Dream draw for them if you only look at it in a view to draw a crowd home (and the away leg) for them and media-wise in Sweden. And for the management, players as well, etc...
Will be fun to see the PL stars in wintry, cold, small town Östersund i February. The region with the most downfall of snow in the country during the winter. Don't know if they can move the match to Stockholm/Solna and the National Stadium or Tele 2 arena which both have a retractable roof, if they really want to draw a crowd? But I hope they stay up in Östersund for all purposes. I also believe that you can't jump from one arena to another in the European Cups. But I'm not 100% sure.

Arsenal is obviously mega favorites to go through. But with Östersund, you never know...
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

TheRipper69 wrote:
AlanK wrote:Copenhagen-Atlético If Atleti doesn't win, they're not trying. Simeone threw the EL in 2013 to concentrate on the league--but Atleti has no fears of not making the top four in the league. I think Atleti is gonna go for it--and no disrespect to Copenhagen, a team I like a lot.

Don't know mate, I feel Atlético could be afraid of not getting the 3rd place...
I don't see this year the mega Spain as in other years...

But this round, I think Atleti and Athletic are going through and maybe Real Sociedad (looks a 50-50 match)
Remember, rule change applies :!: No advantage to getting third place vs getting fourth place. Frankly, I think the change is stupid, but it'll sure enough make getting to the GS easier for our fourth-place teams. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Lurker wrote:The British coach Graham Potter and his Östersund, which also includes several other British players, will then take on Arsenal. Dream draw for them if you only look at it in a view to draw a crowd home (and the away leg) for them and media-wise in Sweden. And for the management, players as well, etc...
Will be fun to see the PL stars in wintry, cold, small town Östersund i February. The region with the most downfall of snow in the country during the winter. Don't know if they can move the match to Stockholm/Solna and the National Stadium or Tele 2 arena which both have a retractable roof, if they really want to draw a crowd? But I hope they stay up in Östersund for all purposes. I also believe that you can't jump from one arena to another in the European Cups. But I'm not 100% sure.

Arsenal is obviously mega favorites to go through. But with Östersund, you never know...
Arsenal currently have the 1st fixture listed as below on their website:-

Ostersunds FK v Arsenal
Thursday, February 15
Kick-off: 6pm (UK time)
Venue: Jamtkraft Arena

I believe that is the name of the Ostersunds FK home stadium.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Ukraine in Februray is ALWAYS a bad draw. Could have been much better against a more...demotivated for the EL opponent for AEK.
bossake

Post by bossake »

I am 85% delighted with the draw of FCSB (Former Club Steaua Bucharest :)) ) vs Lazio. A draw vs Milan or Arsenal would maded me 100% happy :).

A small good thing for us is that finishing second gived us the oportunity to have the first game home.
We will start the 2018 year with a home game in ~11 February against CFR Cluj, in 15 will play (home) vs Lazio and in 18 February we will have our biggest derby against Dinamo Bucuresti. An away game who knows where could maked us having some tireness problems because of travelling.

About the chances, I see about 25-30% for us and the rest for the Lazio. But maybe with Lazio treating not very interesting this competition (despite in the groups they showed clearly a 100% interest) and of course with some luck we might have a chance :).

The first game being played home I think will bring a minimum of 35-40.000 fans in the stands depending of course on what prices will be for the tickets.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

SimonB wrote:Arsenal currently have the 1st fixture listed as below on their website:-

Ostersunds FK v Arsenal
Thursday, February 15
Kick-off: 6pm (UK time)
Venue: Jamtkraft Arena

I believe that is the name of the Ostersunds FK home stadium.
Yeah, that's correct. (Jämtkraft Arena to be precise, a small 8k+ stadium)
matt

Post by matt »

BurningStorm wrote:@Italians: Will Napoli take the EL seriously? Sarri is a successful coach, but strange guy. And winning the scudetto should be important enough. They don't need the CL place after winning the EL, they'll qualify anyway in the Serie A.

Atalanta is a different thing. They remind me of Hannover 96 a few years ago. Good spirit and results, great experience for them!

No, if they are still in the title race, i afraid. I would bet on RBL right now.
Atalanta is the unluckiest team of this edition, concerning the draw.
Basically they had to avoid 2,3 teams out of 14, and they get BVB.
Right now they are in a mess, but i fear that in february they will be a totally different team. They just can't perform so bad for the whole year. Two interesting matches.
Surely Atalanta will focus 110% on the El. I will really support them.
Last edited by matt on Mon Dec 11, 2017 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
International break hater
matt

Post by matt »

Milan should overcome Ludogorets, but i wouldn't bet on it.

Lazio is stronger than FCSB and should qualify without many problems, though if they are still in the title/Cl race they might start to focus more on the league.
International break hater