Euro 2016

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Kjello

Euro 2016

Post by Kjello »

Who will get the Euro in 2016?

Scotland (Posible joint bid with Wales, Ireland or Northern Ireland?)
Greece
Sweden and Norway
France
Turkey

Have all been reported to bid. With joint-bids in both 2008 and 2012 maybe UEFA want a single bid this time?

Both Scotland, Greece and Turkey may be depended on three or more venues in one city. Three in Glasgow, and mayby four in Athens and Istanbul.

Is France then the only real option?
zax

Post by zax »

there will be no euro 2016 coz in 2012 it's the end of the world :lol:
LevskiFan

Post by LevskiFan »

Greece :thumbs: Its like my second home..so I would be happy to see the Euro there 8)
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

do you know when the decision is to be taken?
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

According to wikipedia - it's spring 2011.
levski.bg

Post by levski.bg »

My bet is that Greece & Turkey will win together, if UEFA stick on the idea to organise this tournament, where there was not such in history (or not recently, if we point Yugoslavia-1976, like a part of the same region with Greece and Turkey).
Kjello

Post by Kjello »

Lyonnais, is France bidding? Have read both that they want to bid and that they won't.
LevskiFan

Post by LevskiFan »

levski.bg wrote:My bet is that Greece & Turkey will win together, if UEFA stick on the idea to organise this tournament, where there was not such in history (or not recently, if we point Yugoslavia-1976, like a part of the same region with Greece and Turkey).
no way...Greece and Turkey together...I wont believe it...
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

thanks Kaiser.
Kjello wrote:Lyonnais, is France bidding? Have read both that they want to bid and that they won't.
I understood that the FFF really wanted to bid.
Now I presume that this needs to be officially discussed with a lot different parties (among them the State obviously, UEFA as well), but I haven't heard that they finally wouldn't bid.
Kjello

Post by Kjello »

Okey, maybe it's just my imagination that have read France denying a bid.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

LevskiFan wrote:
levski.bg wrote:My bet is that Greece & Turkey will win together, if UEFA stick on the idea to organise this tournament, where there was not such in history (or not recently, if we point Yugoslavia-1976, like a part of the same region with Greece and Turkey).
Maybe they got closer in 2011 and be awrded this as prize?? (only to be fighting again in 2016, causing the EC to go to......France

What's the problem wtih 3 venues in 1 city? I just heared on the radio that "in this EC the distances are already so long. in 2012 Gdansk-Donetsk is almost 2000 km. Terrible. Holland+Belgium was great!"
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

A big factor will be - 16 or 24 teams.

24 would make it tougher even for some joint bids. Though then even a three country hosting might not be unreasonable - still 21 qualifying spots.

That said I don't see the current tournament as a great advert for 24 teams. Even with 16 there are too many countries who don't seem to believe in themselves & play for "damage limitation" or to "not lose" rather than win. I suspect that 75% (at least) of the extra teams would have similarly limited ambitions.

Otherwise it's far too early to judge who the front-runners will be.
bbi

Post by bbi »

is there a reall chance of having 24 teams? i wouldn't like it even if romania is one country that would benefit from this. the spectacle would drop in the group stages. and the players are all ready tired from theire clubs so in the final they won't be able to run at all.
FORZA STEAUA! FORZA MILAN!
il_padrino

Post by il_padrino »

LevskiFan wrote:
Why is it hard to believe? For 2008 we were candidates together with Greece.* Why not for another time? ;)

* - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_2008#Bid_process
best regards / mit freundlichen grüssen
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

bbi wrote:is there a reall chance of having 24 teams? i wouldn't like it even if romania is one country that would benefit from this. the spectacle would drop in the group stages. and the players are all ready tired from theire clubs so in the final they won't be able to run at all.
24 teams are no good.
1. qualification becomes nearly meaningless
2. there is no good tournament mode with 24 teams