German Football Season 2016-17

Domestic league and cup football
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

What's the difference between Red Bull and Coca Cola?
You made me wonder why doesn't Coca Cola buy a football club...
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

I think that Red Bull have a different business model. Like Coca-Cola, they're selling sugared water - but theirs is about three times more expensive than Coca-Cola's (they're only selling small cans/bottles, at least in Germany, so there's no chance to get a discount for buying larger containers). Coke's beverages are everyday products for mass audiences, so they're putting their advertising money in campaigns that reach everybody, e.g. ad boards in World Cup stadiums.

Red Bull are mainly targeting younger consumers, and they've always invested a lot of money into "extreme sports" or "funs sports". And they like to be agressive and polarising. Red Bull Salzburg instantly became the most-hated football team in Austria, and that seems to be part of the strategy. Coca-Cola probably couldn't risk doing that. They're too mainstream.

(This reminds of the Carling brewery that used to sponsor Rangers and Celtic. If they'd sponsored just one of the Old Firm clubs, fans from the other side might have boycotted their beer. :wink1: )
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Malko wrote:"RB Leipzig is playing football for to make money for Red Bull. " i don't think this worldknown brand needs a Bundesliga football club to make money......LOL....it's rather that red Bull finances this club.
Obviously Red Bull don't care what you think. As they obviously felt it to be necessary to increase their brand awareness by having a football club playing in Champions League one day. Look at all the money burnt for nothing in Salzburg on a team with zero awareness outside Austria, one of the smallest football markets in western Europe, and with a top league getting no attention elsewhere in Europe.

So Germany, especially Leipzig, became the logical choice to replace Salzburg. A league with way better CL access than Austria have. A league with some substancial awareness outside Germany. And with Leipzig being located in an area of about 5 million people who have not seen top flight football in decades. And with Leipzig having a 40,000+ seater World Cup stadium, but having no tenants, so cheap to rent.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
SteffenM

Post by SteffenM »

Not sure why I post this, but think this in an interesting comparision of the French of German league, from one of the many who have played in both.
http://www.mainz05.de/mainz05/nc/aktuel ... ommen.html

Fans, stadium and media are more intense and competitors which are close in strength.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

I doubt Bayern will make as many points this season as in the worst Guardiola season, but with this competition they'll still finish miles ahead...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

SteffenM wrote:Not sure why I post this, but think this in an interesting comparision of the French of German league, from one of the many who have played in both.
http://www.mainz05.de/mainz05/nc/aktuel ... ommen.html

Fans, stadium and media are more intense and competitors which are close in strength.
What you expecting him to say, of course he's going to say the Bundesliga is better. As the English would say he knows what side his bread is buttered.

I don't care what League is better (I Support a team not a league) but what do you expect a player playing in a league to say "oh yeah by miles and miles the league i left is far far better and i'm not stepping forward in my career at all" :lol: It would be like saying that your new employer was not as good as your current one in an interview your Boss may be able to read :lol:.

Plus this is a funny time to talk about teams being easy when Paris SG last week barley got past the team bottom of Ligue 1 and have already lost twice something that it took 2/3 season and they were 20+ points ahead to do last season. Paris SG will most likely win the league here but they aren't exactly destroying teams (well except my own of course :().
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Zippy wrote: Plus this is a funny time to talk about teams being easy when Paris SG last week barley got past the team bottom of Ligue 1 and have already lost twice something that it took 2/3 season and they were 20+ points ahead to do last season. Paris SG will most likely win the league here but they aren't exactly destroying teams (well except my own of course :().
I think it's obvious that he is talking about his time in Ligue 1, not about what happens now (and I agree, for comparing leagues we don't need interviews, we already have Bert's 5-year-ranking :mrgreen: ). Would be "nice" if Nice could make it, I said it since day one that Favre is a very good choice for them, but I still give PSG 80% to win it again.

Back to Bundesliga: RB Leipzig beat Werder 3:1, Schalke 3:0 against Mainz. Schalke are 14th now, Leipzig 2nd.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Bundesliga table looks more distorted than ever in about my lifetime. Bayern are #1. That's the only thing normal there. Then come Leipzig, Hertha, Hoffenheim and Cologne. That's pretty much the least usual suspects in decades for the European spots. While the usual suspects, judged in terms of decades, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Schalke, Bremen, Hamburg are mostly in the bottom half on the table. With Stuttgart in level 2 on top. STRANGE!
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

This is the season Hamburg gets relegated. Time to stop the clock.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Leverkusen shocked in the Cup. :o
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Thunder_PT wrote:Leverkusen shocked in the Cup. :o
Against the world famous team "Sportfreunde Lotte" (3rd level, last season even 4th level). :twisted:

Results:

Tuesday, 25th October, 18:30
Sportfreunde Lotte – Bayer 04 Leverkusen 2:2 (4:3 in PSO)
Dynamo Dresden – Arminia Bielefeld 0:1
SC Freiburg – SV Sandhausen 3:3 (3:4 in PSO)
Würzburger Kickers – TSV 1860 München 0:0 (3:4 in PSO)

Tuesday, 25th October, 20:45
Hallescher FC – Hamburger SV 0:4
Eintracht Frankfurt – FC Ingolstadt 0:0 (4:1 in PSO)
FC St. Pauli – Hertha BSC 0:2
Borussia Mönchengladbach – VfB Stuttgart 2:0

Wednesday, 26th October, 18:30
FC-Astoria Walldorf – SV Darmstadt 98
Hannover 96 – Fortuna Düsseldorf
1. FC Heidenheim – VfL Wolfsburg
SpVgg. Greuther Fürth – 1. FSV Mainz 05

Wednesday, 26th October, 20:45
1. FC Nürnberg – FC Schalke 04
1. FC Köln – TSG Hoffenheim
Borussia Dortmund – 1. FC Union Berlin
FC Bayern München – FC Augsburg (live on ARD Das Erste)
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Wednesday's results:

FC-Astoria Walldorf 1–0 SV Darmstadt 98 :shock:
Hannover 96 6-1 Fortuna Düsseldorf
1. FC Heidenheim 0–1 VfL Wolfsburg
SpVgg. Greuther Fürth 2-1 1. FSV Mainz 05

1. FC Nürnberg 2-3 FC Schalke 04
1. FC Köln 2-1 aet TSG Hoffenheim
Borussia Dortmund 1-1 aet (3-0 pso) 1. FC Union Berlin
FC Bayern München 3-1 FC Augsburg

Stand by for the R16 draw, it's going to take place in a couple of minutes.
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Round of 16 ties, to be played on 7th & 8th February:

Borussia Dortmund - Hertha BSC
Hamburger SV - 1.FC Köln
Sportfreunde Lotte (3) - 1860 München (2)
SV Sandhausen (2) - FC Schalke 04
Hannover 96 (2) - Eintracht Frankfurt
FC Bayern München - VfL Wolfsburg
SpVgg Greuther Fürth (2) - Borussia Mönchengladbach
FC-Astoria Walldorf (4) - Armina Bielefeld (2)
SteffenM

Post by SteffenM »

spoonman wrote:Round of 16 ties, to be played on 7th & 8th February:

Borussia Dortmund - Hertha BSC
Hamburger SV - 1.FC Köln
Sportfreunde Lotte (3) - 1860 München (2)
SV Sandhausen (2) - FC Schalke 04
Hannover 96 (2) - Eintracht Frankfurt
FC Bayern München - VfL Wolfsburg
SpVgg Greuther Fürth (2) - Borussia Mönchengladbach
FC-Astoria Walldorf (4) - Armina Bielefeld (2)
I guess if there should be prioritized 2 or 3 matches for television, it's not that difficult :roll: :wink:

Fun a 4th tier is still holding up. :mrgreen:
SirHenri

Post by SirHenri »

would have been the Berlin-derby if Union wouldn't have taken penalties as if the were swiss...0-3 after 6 shots...