Scottish Football 2016/17

Domestic league and cup football
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Thistle won 1-0 at Dundee, and have 6 cleansheets in the last 8 games. How terribly un-Thistle! But I'll take it!

On a sadder note, former Celtic player Tommy Gemmell has died aged 73 after a long illness. He scored in the 1967 and 1970 European Cup finals.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

All favourites won in the cup.

Semis draw:

Celtic vs Rangers
Hibernian (2) vs Aberdeen

In the league it's Celtic vs Rangers next on Sunday the 12th. Celtic have done nothing but win since the last time I mentioned them. W26 D1 L0 in the league. Fortunately for Rangers, Celtic can't quite mathematically win the league in this match. If Celtic win and Aberdeen lose, Celtic will have a 30pt lead over Aberdeen with 10 games left, so technically Aberdeen could win all 10 and Celtic lose all 10 and Aberdeen have a better GD.
SteffenM

Post by SteffenM »

Catched the old firm.
Celtic in the lead 1-0 after 40.

Not sure what I prefer. The football or the awesome Scottish language/dialect. :mrgreen:
Only problem, unfortunately the commentators doesn't follow others games as they do in the radio :roll:

(Sviatchenko going to EPL soon? :) )
Les_Canaris

Post by Les_Canaris »

SteffenM wrote:Catched the old firm.
Celtic in the lead 1-0 after 40.

Not sure what I prefer. The football or the awesome Scottish language/dialect. :mrgreen:
Only problem, unfortunately the commentators doesn't follow others games as they do in the radio :roll:

(Sviatchenko going to EPL soon? :) )
I think the Celtic team will look very different come the start of Champions League qualifying in July.

Scotland is another country where the bottom is more exciting than the top.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Ended 1-1, ending Celtic's winning streak at 22 wins. Still on for the undefeated season and treble though, but Rangers can potentially stop both of those though not the league title win.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sblKqaNzykU

:lol: @ angry ball girl or whatever she is. :mrgreen:
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Another league with a Portuguese coach, good debut for Caixinha at Rangers, 4-0 against Hamilton.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Thunder_PT wrote:Another league with a Portuguese coach, good debut for Caixinha at Rangers, 4-0 against Hamilton.
Two rough experiences recently for Hamilton at Ibrox, first going down 6-0 in the Cup, and now this loss which sends them to the bottom of the table. Directly, because it lowered their GD below that of Inverness.

How do you pronounce that? I'll take a guess at it and say kaisheena.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Lorric wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:Another league with a Portuguese coach, good debut for Caixinha at Rangers, 4-0 against Hamilton.
Two rough experiences recently for Hamilton at Ibrox, first going down 6-0 in the Cup, and now this loss which sends them to the bottom of the table. Directly, because it lowered their GD below that of Inverness.

Close, not bad. :)

"ai" is pronounced just like the letter 'i' in English (like in "Mike"). The 'nh' is a sound that doesn't really exist in English, the closest thing to it would be 'ny' like in "canyon". All the rest is correct.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Thunder_PT wrote:
Lorric wrote:

Close, not bad. :)

"ai" is pronounced just like the letter 'i' in English (like in "Mike"). The 'nh' is a sound that doesn't really exist in English, the closest thing to it would be 'ny' like in "canyon". All the rest is correct.
Thanks. :smile1:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Wow, Aberdeen. They went to Dundee and won 0-7! No red cards. A loss would have seen Celtic win the title, so that will have to wait until at least Sunday.

It will be interesting to watch that one and see how the home fans react to the goals going in.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Rangers were held at home 1-1 by Motherwell. Caixinha did something extremely unusual in this match. Not only did he use all three of his substitutions at half time, but he used all three on defenders.

That wasn't the only match to feature something very unusual. St. Johnstone were at bottom of the table Hamilton today. They presented a golden opportunity to Hamilton as they had two players sent off at the end of the first half for fighting. With each other. The score was 0-0, and the nine men almost managed to grab the point, but an 89th minute goal gave Hamilton the win. Inverness are now bottom.

Michael's Thistle beat Ross County 2-1, and are now almost certain to make the top 6.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Celtic crushed Hearts, 5-0 win to confirm that they are the Champions. Undefeated, just two draws.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Michael's Thistle got a point at Celtic Park. Got lucky I think to face them at this time. Caixinha's reign is not going well, a 0-0 draw at Kilmarnock, more points dropped to a bottom 7 side. St. Johnstone beat Hearts to put a 5pt gap between them and Hearts and are now 6pts behind Rangers.
fillow

Post by fillow »

Finally they decided to get rid of all the unnecessary 2nd phase matches! :D