Belgian Football Season 2016-2017

Domestic league and cup football
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

Cup Final:

Oostende - Zulte Waregem 3-3 aet (2-4 PSO)

Zulte Waregem qualified for ELGS
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Gorandinho wrote:Cup Final:

Oostende - Zulte Waregem 3-3 aet (2-4 PSO)

Zulte Waregem qualified for ELGS
Crazy game.

Anderlecht and Club Brugges should play CL (qualifiers)
One of Gent, Oostende and Charleroi for EL
One of Standard, Mechelen, Genk for EL (likely) I assume.
Although Gent and Genk would deserve these EL tickets based on their results this year.
Black Eagles 1903
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Gorandinho wrote:Zulte Waregem qualified for ELGS
Will be interesting what Zulte Waregem will do if when they can't get 1st any more, but still can get 2nd in the play-offs. Will they go for the CL-Q3 spot with a big risk not qualifying for the GS at all (they will be unseeded in both CL-Q3 and EL-Q4), or will they settle for 3rd spot in the play-offs.
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

Forza AZ wrote:
Will be interesting what Zulte Waregem will do if when they can't get 1st any more, but still can get 2nd in the play-offs. Will they go for the CL-Q3 spot with a big risk not qualifying for the GS at all (they will be unseeded in both CL-Q3 and EL-Q4), or will they settle for 3rd spot in the play-offs.
Yes the Zulte manager claims he would rather finish 5th instead of 2nd. That's why the cup final should be played at the end of the season. Now Zulte Waregem may deliberately lose games to not finish 2nd.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Gorandinho wrote:
Forza AZ wrote:
Yes the Zulte manager claims he would rather finish 5th instead of 2nd. That's why the cup final should be played at the end of the season. Now Zulte Waregem may deliberately lose games to not finish 2nd.
This is something the Belgian football federation should take a look at. Gorandinho is absolutely right. Zulte might deliberately lose games. Things like this lead to match fixing, so I agree with him. The cup final should be at the end of the season, like almost all the other leagues. On the contrary, they still might go for the title. They are only four points back of leader Anderlecht, so it goes without saying the title is still attainable (quite unlikely though). So it's a toss up
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Quite the conundrum for Zulte. For now they'll surely go for the title, their fate is in their own hands. 10 games to make up 4pts.
jmf

Post by jmf »

Lorric wrote:Quite the conundrum for Zulte. For now they'll surely go for the title, their fate is in their own hands. 10 games to make up 4pts.
Zulte is too weak to fight for the title. The club is in a weakening situation for weeks (8 points/21 the last 7 matches in Jupiler pro league).
seso

Post by seso »

Can I ask the Belgian members something irrelevant about Romelu Lukaku? Has he seriously had a full season for Anderlecht when he was 16 years old (and Anderlecht finished first)? Is this possible? I know he was born in Antwerp, but has someone seriously checked his birth certificate etc documents??
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

It's certainly possible. Rooney was built like a man at 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4dBWUjuCU0
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lukaku dwarfing the other kids in school football:

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/pictur ... -10-380031

Another example that could be presented is Barron Trump how tall he is.
jmf

Post by jmf »

seso wrote:Can I ask the Belgian members something irrelevant about Romelu Lukaku? Has he seriously had a full season for Anderlecht when he was 16 years old (and Anderlecht finished first)? Is this possible? I know he was born in Antwerp, but has someone seriously checked his birth certificate etc documents??
Hey man ! This is not Botswana here. Concerning your "birth certificate" you pissed me off ! He was born in a city not in the jungle.
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

The urban jungle :degsmile:
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

dnina10 wrote:
Gorandinho wrote:
Forza AZ wrote: Will be interesting what Zulte Waregem will do if when they can't get 1st any more, but still can get 2nd in the play-offs. Will they go for the CL-Q3 spot with a big risk not qualifying for the GS at all (they will be unseeded in both CL-Q3 and EL-Q4), or will they settle for 3rd spot in the play-offs.
This is something the Belgian football federation should take a look at. Gorandinho is absolutely right. Zulte might deliberately lose games. Things like this lead to match fixing, so I agree with him. The cup final should be at the end of the season, like almost all the other leagues. On the contrary, they still might go for the title. They are only four points back of leader Anderlecht, so it goes without saying the title is still attainable (quite unlikely though). So it's a toss up
2010-2011

May 16th : Westerlo qualifies for the EL testmatches. Against Brugge 4th.
May 17th : Standard is qualified for the CLqR3.
May 21st : Standard wins the cup. Westerlo is runner-up.
May 25th : first leg of the EL playoff between Brugge and Westerlo.

Both teams were qualified for EL :
-Westerlo wins the cup and is qualified for ELqR4. The playoff is useless.
-Westerlo loses the cup and is qualified for ELqR2 (old system, the cup finalist could qualify if the winner is qualified for CL). The playoff could be played to decide if Brugge or Westerlo qualified for ELqR3.

That's why they changed.
seso

Post by seso »

I thought that this would stir up trouble. I have no weird intentions, but imo even now he looks older than 24...
jmf

Post by jmf »

Day 1 of the play-offs in Belgium

Today : Zulte-Anderlecht and sunday AA Gent-KV Brugge. Already key matches for week 1 !