Battle of Managers

Domestic league and cup football
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

nemesys wrote: @ThunderPT
True that it is likely not the best generation for English coaches. Still, the best ones whitin these, gain more at home than traveling away. IIRC even the 10th-12th richer club in Premiership has a budget over Schalke, Leverkusen, Napoli, Roma, Benfica, Porto, and other similar clubs.
Money-wise, you're probably right. But if I were Tony Pulis (one of the good ones (Welsh, tbf :P)) and had an invitation to take over at Villarreal (earlier in the season when they parted ways with Marcelino), I wouldn't hesitate, even if it meant a lot less money.
nemesys

Post by nemesys »

Thunder_PT wrote:
nemesys wrote: @ThunderPT
True that it is likely not the best generation for English coaches. Still, the best ones whitin these, gain more at home than traveling away. IIRC even the 10th-12th richer club in Premiership has a budget over Schalke, Leverkusen, Napoli, Roma, Benfica, Porto, and other similar clubs.
Money-wise, you're probably right. But if I were Tony Pulis (one of the good ones (Welsh, tbf :P)) and had an invitation to take over at Villarreal (earlier in the season when they parted ways with Marcelino), I wouldn't hesitate, even if it meant a lot less money.
Of course! Who would not want to be the coach of a club with such a cool nick name! The Yellow Submarine! :mrgreen:
Gone.
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Thunder_PT wrote:
nemesys wrote:However, I don't consider this the only way to judge, like Malko said, Ferguson was on such same level of the greatest European coaches winning only in England, for instance.
I do think having success in different teams and different leagues proves more than having success in only one team over a long period of time. This is becoming less and less true, but it's still the case that you'll find different styles, attitudes and challenges in different countries. Could Ferguson have won it in Italy? We don't know, we'll never know. But Mourinho, Guardiola and Ancelotti proved they can win in different leagues.
On this it's fair to point out that Ferguson won the Scottish league (beating Celtic/Rangers) and the UEFA Cup with Aberdeen in the early 80s, so he reached the top in two countries.
nemesys

Post by nemesys »

MartinW wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:
nemesys wrote:However, I don't consider this the only way to judge, like Malko said, Ferguson was on such same level of the greatest European coaches winning only in England, for instance.
I do think having success in different teams and different leagues proves more than having success in only one team over a long period of time. This is becoming less and less true, but it's still the case that you'll find different styles, attitudes and challenges in different countries. Could Ferguson have won it in Italy? We don't know, we'll never know. But Mourinho, Guardiola and Ancelotti proved they can win in different leagues.
On this it's fair to point out that Ferguson won the Scottish league (beating Celtic/Rangers) and the UEFA Cup with Aberdeen in the early 80s, so he reached the top in two countries.
Indeed. Only England for Ferguson in my sentence was about the arbitrary big leagues titles ranking proposed as the topic of this conversation by ThunderPT. Since later on the concept was expanded a bit in a further post I made, it is fair to point out now that Ferguson also won in some other league. :)

However, this don't really chenge the point, in my opinion: to be able to win everywhere you go means that you have coaching skills, I guess; to be able to win a lot in a specific competition means that you have some coaching skills, I guess. In the end, both results are good. Maybe Ferguson could coach and win titles with, for instance, Real, Bayern, and/or Milan, or maybe Mourinho could win many consecutive domestic titles staying in Porto, or at Inter. Who knows? Still, they are both in the greatest of their generation.
Gone.
Todor

Post by Todor »

MartinW wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:
Actually he won the Cup Winners' Cup, but it didn't change anything. For me his best achievement is that he managed to transform Man Utd from a team of local importance into one of the world's top teams, well ahead of the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

bugylibicska wrote:
nemesys wrote:
bugylibicska wrote:Eriksson is from Sweden, not English.
What a blunder! :shock:
This happens when you write and post in a hurry, and want too say too much in little time, and skip double check what you just wrote.
So, the last Englishman I remember would be Hodgson maybe, but he didn't impress many Inter fans, to be honest. Unless I'm forgetting someone else.

@ThunderPT
Eriksson was coach of England without achieving anything, beside fooling the public making them believe they could win the WC. One problem could be - I`ve read somewhere - the high, almost prohibiting cost to get an international coaching certificate, more than 6 thousand pounds, 10 times more than in Germany.
Eriksson had a good club pedigree before taking the England job - he was the first manager to achieve a league and cup double in 3 countries (Sweden, Portugal and Italy) and came close to the full set of European trophies (UEFA with IFK Goteborg, CWC and Super Cup with Lazio, lost 1-0 in the European Cup final with Benfica).
No to Superleague
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Oldelpaso wrote:
bugylibicska wrote:
nemesys wrote: What a blunder! :shock:
This happens when you write and post in a hurry, and want too say too much in little time, and skip double check what you just wrote.
So, the last Englishman I remember would be Hodgson maybe, but he didn't impress many Inter fans, to be honest. Unless I'm forgetting someone else.

@ThunderPT
Eriksson was coach of England without achieving anything, beside fooling the public making them believe they could win the WC. One problem could be - I`ve read somewhere - the high, almost prohibiting cost to get an international coaching certificate, more than 6 thousand pounds, 10 times more than in Germany.
Eriksson had a good club pedigree before taking the England job - he was the first manager to achieve a league and cup double in 3 countries (Sweden, Portugal and Italy) and came close to the full set of European trophies (UEFA with IFK Goteborg, CWC and Super Cup with Lazio, lost 1-0 in the European Cup final with Benfica).
I`ve meant my comment to his England career, I knew he`d some success before.

``In January 2006, Eriksson was recorded saying he would be willing to leave England to manage Aston Villa if England won the World Cup, after being duped into believing that a wealthy Arab would buy the club, and wanted him as manager. The wealthy "Arab" was in fact the "Fake Sheikh" Mazher Mahmood, an undercover News of the World reporter. On 23 January, The FA announced that Eriksson would leave his job after the 2006 World Cup, and it was thought that the News of the World allegations played a part in this decision. This was later denied by both parties, with Eriksson explaining that there was a prior arrangement to terminate his contract immediately after the World Cup.``

And after his England job all went downhill: Man City, Mexico, Notts County (!), Ivory Coast, Leicester City, Asia....