French season 2011-12

Domestic league and cup football
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

ok thanks Malko (and Forza AZ!)
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

I find it interesting to copy the comments of Pierre Menez (a very influencial commentator of Canal+) in his blog about the Gazelec - Lyon game played on Tuesday.
And believe me, Menez is definitely not a fan of Lyon, so his comments can be considered as neutral ones.

original article in French
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/pierro ... ml#more-id

Google translation

To vomit

[lyon] were competing in the Coupe de France on Tuesday night and we can say that Lyon made three things in Ajaccio: 1 / Qualifying. 2 / Score four goals. 3 / To get out without injury. And the third point, it was far from won. I remain amazed - and I mean it, believe me - of the attitude of the Ajaccio players during the match. The first half was a caricature of intimidation, a very bad episode of Mafiosa [series shown at Canal+ involving local mafia in Corsica]. In fact it was to vomit.

The red cad of Colinet is 1000 times deserved and I even found Mr. Ennjimi [referee] well magnanimous at times. And what about the idiot of Gazelec who tried to skin Gomis at the end of the match. What about the morons supporters who hurled monkey chants and bananas sent to the same Bafé Gomis? And Lyon striker should say thank you? Whatever next!
These practices are for me from another age and are chilling. And let no one say that it's funny, it's the local folklore and it's not too serious. It's a little speech that was held my colleagues of Eurosport during the match. According to them, this was the atmosphere of a "village party". I'm sorry to see this in a stadium, it is not folklore, it's bullshit.
In this context, I congratulate the players of Lyon, who have not added in and kept cool. As if sometimes professionals were more frequentable than amateurs that everyone blindly praise the state of mind. What's worse is that the Gazelec had something else to argue that this behavior of thugs. This particular context continues to exist in Corsica while at the same time, ACA has an impeccable attitude every weekend in Ligue 1.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

quevilly-rennes with live comments (only the winning goal unfortunately)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... 3NQTs&NR=1
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

In the video they're called Quevillaise. What's the difference between the two different spellings?
I'd like to ask the same about "Rennes" and "Rennais" (or "Lyon" and "Lyonnais" for that matter).

And what is the difference between the endings "-ais" and "-aise"?
I always thought "City name + -aise" describes a person that comes from that city.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

The official names of the clubs are

US Quevillaise
Stade Rennais
Olympique Lyonnais

but in every day language, we tend to use the name of the cities, i.e. Quevilly, Rennes, Lyon

the ending -ais(e) (depending on the gender of the name) means 'of'

Olympique Lyonnais is more or less Olympique of Lyon (an inhabitant of Lyon is a Lyonnais, same for Rennes and Rennais or Quevilly / Quevillais)

In Italy, they make the opposite. They call in usual language their teams by the name of their inahbitants (Udinese rather than Udine, Cremonese / Cremona, etc.).
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

Ah, thank you. That makes perfect sense.

:)

I had 5 years of French in school, but that was eleven years ago. :oops:
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Lusankya wrote: I had 5 years of French in school, but that was eleven years ago. :oops:
I can't blame you. I learnt German at school but 2 weeks ago, we had at home a German girl (exchange programme with the schools) and I had to speak in Englaish as I was unable to make a decent sentence in German :(
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Lyonnais wrote:The official names of the clubs are

US Quevillaise
Stade Rennais
Olympique Lyonnais

but in every day language, we tend to use the name of the cities, i.e. Quevilly, Rennes, Lyon

the ending -ais(e) (depending on the gender of the name) means 'of'

Olympique Lyonnais is more or less Olympique of Lyon (an inhabitant of Lyon is a Lyonnais, same for Rennes and Rennais or Quevilly / Quevillais)

In Italy, they make the opposite. They call in usual language their teams by the name of their inahbitants (Udinese rather than Udine, Cremonese / Cremona, etc.).
So it is the same as Lierse SK in Belgium and Hamburger SV in Germany etc.
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

Lyonnais wrote:
Lusankya wrote: I had 5 years of French in school, but that was eleven years ago. :oops:
I can't blame you. I learnt German at school but 2 weeks ago, we had at home a German girl (exchange programme with the schools) and I had to speak in Englaish as I was unable to make a decent sentence in German :(
Well, French and German are more difficult languages to learn than English and while I use English in my every day life, I sadly can't say the same about French.
I think with a lot of preparation I could still order or buy things in French. :wink:

Forza AZ wrote: So it is the same as Lierse SK in Belgium and Hamburger SV in Germany etc.
Exactly, however for Germans it looks very, very weird when people just write "Hamburger" without the SV.

:D
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Lyonnais wrote:
I wouldn't worry. I did French from Primary 6 (age 10) to my Standard Grades in S4 (age 16) and I was absolutely hopeless at it. In the decade since I've forgotten most of the little I learnt. "Je regrette, mais je ne comprendre rein du Francais!" (and please forgive the spelling, my English spelling can be dreadful too)

Still, mostly I found when we were in France that the French love someone who tries. :)

I think I amazed my mum in Rome and Barcelona - spoke none of the language but was able to communicate and find my way about with nothing more than gracias/grazie, a smile, and an indepth knowledge of European football (it is a common language of all nations, I find!)
Malko

Post by Malko »

Today 9 PM (Paris time) : Stade de France:
Finale de la Coupe de la Ligue

Olympique Lyonnais - Olympique Marseille

(For Lusankya: you see, in Marseille they do not take the adjective, but the town-name for the club. It's Olympique Lyonnais, but not Olympique Marseillais...., may understand who can...)

Anyways,besides beeing a top-match in France, it's for both teams the first (and for Marseille probably the last) chance to be sure to play an European Cup next year. The winner is qualified for EL (the loser is not qualified, even if........we spoke about it earlier).

Favorite is of course Olympique Lyonnais 2,35/1 , Marseille gets 3/1 at bwin.
But probably Marseille will play its "va-tout", being the last chance this year. Lyon may be concentrated more on the Championship to get the 3rd CL-spot for France. For Didier Deschamps, it seems to be a "very important" game too...........

anyways, there will be a great football-evening tonite, broadcasted all over the world.

In Germany for example, it's live on Eurosport Germany. (which is even fta all over Europe on satellite Astra (hehe.....a luxembourgish Satellite) )

Otherwise, there are always the streams, for example
http://www.sportlemon.tv/c-1.html
wich is for me the best site prestently.
OMfan

Post by OMfan »

After an awful season my team finally secured a european spot and i like that! We win the league cup.

Balance game where Lyon could equlised if the referee whistle the penalty for an obvious fault from Amalfitano on Lacazette.

I wish that Lyon could win the cup and beat Quevilly and secure the third place in championship. I think this is the only French team who could pass the Qualification round because of its good place in team uefa ranking.

Question: if Lyon win the cup and finish third in championship, does Quevilly goes in europa league?
flob

Post by flob »

Yes, if Lyon wins the cup and qualifies for CL, Quevilly will start for France in EL-Q3.
scapulaire24

Post by scapulaire24 »

flob wrote:Yes, if Lyon wins the cup and qualifies for CL, Quevilly will start for France in EL-Q3.
Start and finish. :?
Malko

Post by Malko »

scapulaire...this is not really true.....they have beaten some Ligue1-clubs,....and could beat some Q3-clubs too. A slight Problem...there are 2 legs.......but why not?
OM-fan, I hope, Lyon will win the Cup and Lille qualify for CL.
Ligue 1 is strong enough that 4-6 teams will survive the group stage....if they do not sell their players before !!!!!!!!