French Ligue 1 - Coupe de France - Coupe de la Ligue 2015/16

Domestic league and cup football
Malko

Post by Malko »

French football: The place is in the Top4 in Europe, and all must be done to get there again
Malko

Post by Malko »

PSG is showing the way......

You say "We (Caen) are a small club....." In Leverkusen or Newcastle nobody says "we are a small club...." and they are not bigger........
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Newcastle fans have an image where they believe they are a massive club when they aren't they haven't won anything in like 5 or 6 decades.

Most deluded fans on the earth.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Malko wrote:French football: The place is in the Top4 in Europe, and all must be done to get there again
:confused: :confused: :confused: or :rollfloor: :rollfloor: :rollfloor:

Take your pick. Their well-earned place is somewhere between fifth and seventh. :wink: Well-earned, that is, if they can hold onto it this season. It may be better or much worse in the future. :P
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Aliceag

Post by Aliceag »

PSG will show the way when they actually can win a CL for a start or a couple of EL... So far I've only seen mediocre French Leagues without opposition (and what those other teams do in Europe show their true quality...). PSG even fail to win their group. And from a Portuguese point of view they won to Benfica and Porto away in recent years, which is certainly a sign of some quality, however I haven's seen PSG win in Benfica or Porto stadium so far... ok, they've done it in Braga, which was an EL finalist... So, up to now, that's the level they are...

IF and When I start seeing PSG beating Portuguese top teams home AND away and actually winning european titles I might concede they are getting there. But when Porto has 2 EL and 1 CL in the last 11 years, and Benfica 2 EL finals and a semi final and 2 CL quarters in the same period, I don't think PSG is better than this. What I think is that the rest of the French league is even way below this. Lyon, Marseille, Monaco and the likes seem they are performing on a level even inferior to Braga this year... Well a Porto in such a league would cruise, like they did in the 2003-2004 and 2005-2009..

If you ask me, I'd say PSG right now in on the level of Jesualdo Ferreira's Porto in a weak league without opposition, the parallel is clear... Jesualdo's Porto in 2006-2009 topped groups against Liverpool and Arsenal, and eliminated Atletico MAdrid and then was knocked out by future champions Manchester after tying 2-2 in United and being eliminated by a Ronaldo lucky shot 0-1 at home. All this is comparable to what PSG has done recently.

Still, that 2006-2009 Porto who won 4 Portuguese leagues, topped CL group stages against English top tier teams and reached CL quarters was clearly inferior to 2003-4 and 2011 one. And that's the same about PSG. PSG is still inferior to 2003-4 and 2011 Porto. When they are able to pull one of those seasons out, and achieve similar results then, they will start gettting there.
Play fair and square!
Malko

Post by Malko »

AliceAG, it's ridiculous yu think presently Porto or Benfica are like Paris SG. And the Portuguese league is much more weak than the french one all over......Paris is with Barcelona,Real and maybe another (not portuguese) club one f the 4 best in Europe. France needs a second ne like that. Portugal has none.

Zippy, thats it, Newcastle fans think their small club is a big one, Caen fans think their medium one is a small one.....football mentality in France must change,
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Malko wrote: You say "We (Caen) are a small club....." In Leverkusen or Newcastle nobody says "we are a small club...." and they are not bigger........
Surely you can present some statistics to show that SM Caen are on the same level as Leverkusen or Newcastle, regarding national and international success, fanbase, or financial strength?

:smile1:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Malko wrote:AliceAG, it's ridiculous yu think presently Porto or Benfica are like Paris SG. And the Portuguese league is much more weak than the french one all over......Paris is with Barcelona,Real and maybe another (not portuguese) club one f the 4 best in Europe. France needs a second ne like that. Portugal has none.

Zippy, thats it, Newcastle fans think their small club is a big one, Caen fans think their medium one is a small one.....football mentality in France must change,
We've been through this and through this, Malko. PSG is one of the top eight, not one of the top four, and their performance last season in the CL showed that they were #8. Interesting :wink: how you say that PSG will eliminate Real Madrid, should they meet in the KO's, after PSG couldn't even score against Real in two GS games.
Malko

Post by Malko »

spoonman Caen is playing top 3 in France, Leverkusen is playing top3 in Germany........that's for me the same notoriety. Well, Caen had not the opportunity to be smashed like Leverkusen was playing Championsleague, that's true......i thik one year, levekusen had 0 points in GS, another year they advanced to round of last 16 to get 10 goals in the first opposition.....well.....yes, caen didn't have that opportunity yet.
Newcastle? When did i read this name internationally for the last time ??????? maybe when i read Caen......

Financial strenght, thats it ! That is what i claim. Teams from same level should have same financial strengh.....and France has to react about that.

Alank, how can you say PSg is only Number 8, when they got eliminated by the Number one? They also could be Number two then......
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Malko wrote:spoonman Caen is playing top 3 in France, Leverkusen is playing top3 in Germany........that's for me the same notoriety. Well, Caen had not the opportunity to be smashed like Leverkusen was playing Championsleague, that's true......i thik one year, levekusen had 0 points in GS, another year they advanced to round of last 16 to get 10 goals in the first opposition.....well.....yes, caen didn't have that opportunity yet.
Newcastle? When did i read this name internationally for the last time ??????? maybe when i read Caen......

Financial strenght, thats it ! That is what i claim. Teams from same level should have same financial strengh.....and France has to react about that.

Alank, how can you say PSg is only Number 8, when they got eliminated by the Number one? They also could be Number two then......
No, no, no Malko. PSG went out in the round of eight, with the worst statistics of the four losers. You can't take credit for the games they DIDN'T play, only for the ones they did play. Remember (hey, SirHenri--too good to pass up :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: "They gotta PLAY the games" :!: :!: :mrgreen:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

spoonman wrote:
Malko wrote: You say "We (Caen) are a small club....." In Leverkusen or Newcastle nobody says "we are a small club...." and they are not bigger........
Surely you can present some statistics to show that SM Caen are on the same level as Leverkusen or Newcastle, regarding national and international success, fanbase, or financial strength?

:smile1:

Please don't start this argument most SM Caen fans like myself accept we aren't a big club our rightful place is lower half of Ligue 1 Top 6 of Ligue 2
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Malko wrote:spoonman Caen is playing top 3 in France, Leverkusen is playing top3 in Germany........that's for me the same notoriety.
Great. :mrgreen: So you don't realise that there's a difference between playing among the top 3 for a couple of weeks and staying among the top 3 for over a decade?
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Malko wrote:i thik one year, levekusen had 0 points in GS, another year they advanced to round of last 16 to get 10 goals in the first opposition.....well.....yes, caen didn't have that opportunity yet.
Leverkusen have always survived the CL group stage, until now. They were even in the final 2002.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Another great performance of Caen, this time at Bordeaux (4-1) and both Damien Da Silva and Any Delort join the top 10 of the best players of the league so far with Bryan Dabo who made anotheer great performance with Montpellier at Lyon (4-2)

best 8 performances

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PSG) 8.46
2. Hatem Ben Arfa (Nice) 8.39
3. Whabi Khazri (Bordeaux) 8.24
4. Angel Di Maria (PSG) 8.22
5. Damien Da Silva (Caen) 8.11
6. Lassana Diarra (Marseille) 8.02
7. Thiago Silva (PSG) 8.02
8. Andy Delort (Caen) 7.92
9. Bryan Dabo (Montpellier) 7.89
10. Serge Aurier (PSG) 7.86
etc.
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Jens

Post by Jens »

BurningStorm wrote:Leverkusen have always survived the CL group stage, until now. They were even in the final 2002.
If you mean surviving the group stage by finishing at least as third then you are right. In 1999 and 2000 they had been third in the group.