Coefficient calculation principles 21/22 onwards?

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
simonk

Coefficient calculation principles 21/22 onwards?

Post by simonk »

Any idea how points will be awarded 21/22 onwards in order to ensure:
-gradation of the competitions ( CL is the most difficult, ECL the weakest one)
-Group winners of EL and EL2 should’nt have a disatvantage for having less games
-compatiliby to current principles (the same success should have similary worth than before) (sorry for my grammar)
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

simonk wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 23:52 Any idea how points will be awarded 21/22 onwards in order to ensure:
-gradation of the competitions ( CL is the most difficult, ECL the weakest one)
-Group winners of EL and EL2 should’nt have a disatvantage for having less games
-compatiliby to current principles (the same success should have similary worth than before) (sorry for my grammar)
UEFA has not released any info about this yet. Will probably be anounced somewhere early 2021.
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

Finally I got some details on the provisional coefficient calculation in the next season.

Match results (2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw) will be awarded from the group stage of CL, EL, and ECL onwards, with the exception of the knockout rounds for EL-R16 and ECL-R16. For the country coefficient matches in qualifying rounds are awarded with 1 points for a win, and 0.5 point for a draw.

Qualifying club points for elimation in:
ECL-Q1 = 1.0 point
ECL-Q2 = 1.5 points
ECL-Q3 = 2.0 points
ECL-Q4 = 2.5 points

Minimum club points for playing in:
ECL-GS = min 2.5 points
EL-GS = min 3.0 points

Bonus points (also count for country ranking):
CL-GS = 4 points
EL-GW = 4 points
EL-RU = 2 points
ECL-GW = 2 points
ECL-RU = 1 point

EL-KO en ECL-KO no bonus points, no match points

CL-R16 = 5 points
EL-R16 = 1 point

CL-QF = 1 point
EL-QF = 1 point

CL-SF = 1 point
EL-SF = 1 point
ECL-SF = 1 point

CL-F = 1 point
EL-F = 1 point
ECL-F = 1 point

Maximum number of points per club (may be deducted from the info above):
CL = 38 points
EL = 34 points
ECL = 30 points

This info was obtained from a reliable source but needs confirmation from UEFA.
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
offside

Post by offside »

bert.kassies wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 19:02Finally I got some details on the provisional coefficient calculation in the next season. (...) This info was obtained from a reliable source but needs confirmation from UEFA.
Thank you Bert!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

This is great! Apologies to any post I may have missed, but this imo is superior to any proposal dreamed up here, with some innovations no one thought of.

I expected they'd use the ELQ pts for the ECLQ. But bonus points based on group performance instead of group participation with double for the EL without undermining the CL is brilliant. Achieved by just not awarding points for the first KO round of either competition, and thus also giving a clear advantage to group winners.

Also, I think under this format, getting into the top 15 is less daunting than we thought it would be.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

So in stead of giving the teams that skip a round 4 extra bonuspoints like is done for the CL last 16, in EL and ECL they just don't give points for wins and draws in EL-R2 and ECL-R2.

That makes sense, sine otherwise all bonuspoints should have been upgraded to make playing CL after the group stage better for your coefficient. But that would make the difference between clubs qualifying and not qualifying to big.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

If we apply this to last season's EL, we can see the difference it would make.

For a random example of a group winner that got to R16 and a runner up, take Chelsea and Slavia Prague.

Chelsea won both R32 legs vs Malmo, so 4pts. Now, they'd still get 4pts, plus the new R16 bonus point. So group winners are even better off than the best possible scenario without even having to play! Slavia got a win and a draw vs Genk, so 3pts. If they get past their opponent, they still get 3pts, via the 2pt and 1pt bonuses. Lose and they still get 2, which is the best a losing team can get. So only a double winner would be worse off, and a 2pt winner would be better off, so it balances out.

3rd place teams are worse off than ECL top 2 teams, but might not have continued on in the old system. The top 24 teams normally go through, but the EL will not contain the top 24 teams, the ECL will have teams that would be pot 1 and 2 in the EL. Still though, I think I would have given EL 3rd teams one bonus point. But we'll get to find out whether 3rd in the EL or 2nd in the ECL is the greater achievement (or if it's about equal) when they clash! Something I personally think will be really interesting to find out. If the ECL 2nds overall get the better of the EL 3rds, then they'll merit that bonus point over the EL 3rds.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

EL and ECL Group Winners and Runner ups get bonus points?

That is a big change.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Thanks for this information, good to have it available at last.

Can we also assume that the points for elimination in both CLQ and ELQ remain as they are now?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

SimonB wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 20:25 Thanks for this information, good to have it available at last.

Can we also assume that the points for elimination in both CLQ and ELQ remain as they are now?
Well everyone will fall into the ECL, so you can't get completely eliminated from Europe from CLQ or ELQ.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Lorric wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 20:32
SimonB wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 20:25 Thanks for this information, good to have it available at last.

Well everyone will fall into the ECL, so you can't get completely eliminated from Europe from CLQ or ELQ.
LOL, what made me post this rubbish :question: :amstupid:

I did realise this after leaving the screen for a while (and had hoped nobody would notice before I returned to correct it)
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

Firnen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 20:14 EL and ECL Group Winners and Runner ups get bonus points?

That is a big change.
Yes,but not matches point,not bonus point for KO 16 round. :D Thats strange! :mol: Two wins or two losses, no matter for coefficinets. :D
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Firnen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 20:14 EL and ECL Group Winners and Runner ups get bonus points?

That is a big change.
Well, that is of course to compensate the 2 matches in round of 32 that they can't score any points in.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

So the 2 main things in my opinion:
1. ECL points will not be very different that EL, it does make sense since not every team has access to EL...
2. EL teams got huge bonus compared to earlier, top teams in EL would get on average MUCH more points than they were expected to get in CL, by finishing as group winners they get 5 more bonus points than as of now, without the risk of being eliminated in R32. I believe this would cause many distortions, even more than now, but given that pot A in CL is now composed from champions only, it shouldn't matter that much.

Edit: remember that EL will not be stronger than it is now, even on average. Someone showed in an earlier post that the distribution of teams that were expected to lose their spot in EL if the new system was implemented this year is about 4 teams from each one of pots 1-4.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

The main difference between EL and ECL will be in the much easier qualifiers for EL, only 2 qualifying rounds, PO without teams from the strongest leagues and without a separate PO for the champions. :clapping: But the groups will be stronger in the EL. In the ECL the main problem will be to pass the difficult qualifiers, 3 or 4 QR and in the 4th QR there are waiting N7 and N6 from the Top 5 leagues. :down: But the lucky ones who enter the GS ECL will have an easier job in the group, the weak champions from the separate draw and the losers from the EL qualifiers should bring a lot of points in the group to the teams from the QR ECL. :banana: