World Cup 2022 [GROUP C] Argentina, Mexico, Poland, Saudi Arabia

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Lyonnais wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 04:29
bugylibicska wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 22:11 All 4 teams alive. Argentina must beat Poland to top the group. Mexico must beat Saudi Arabia to avoid going home and they keep an eye on the goal differences. Mexico have 0:2 while Poland have 2:0.
And to be complete Saudi Arabia advance with a win over Mexico. A draw may be enough if Argentina defeat Poland
Yes. Tunnel vision. I owe an apology to the Saudis. That's what I've thought before the start and after the 1st round:
C) Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland
Walk in the park for Argentina and they'll reach the semis, at least. The key match: Mexico - Poland, but the winner will drop out at the 1st hurdle.

Well, walk in the park in heavy rain? I still believe Argentina will go through, neither Mexico nor Poland were impressive. There's a big question mark, though, will Saudi Arabia make this stunning win count and advance? Argentina might benefit if finish 2nd by avoiding Brazil in the semis.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Argentina stumbled, but still finished on top. I've picked Mexico as 2nd in a 50/50 battle, but Poland pipped them. Saudi Arabia caused one of the biggest shocks in WC history by beating Argentina, but still ended up at the bottom. So, Argentina - Australia and France - Poland.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Szczesny is the man of the match for the third time. He saved 10 shots on goal, including a penalty kick!! Poland on the other hand had zero shots on goal.

Congratulations Argentina and Poland! :thumbs:

Argentina started with a defeat but still recovered and won the group, avoiding France and playing instead against Australia.

As for Poland, they progressed from the group stage for the first time since 1986!

It's interesting that in 1986 they also started with a 0-0 draw (vs Morocco in 1986, and vs Mexico now), then won the second match (1-0 vs Portugal in 1986, and 2-0 vs Saudi Arabia now), and then lost the third match by two goals difference (0-3 vs England in 1986, and 0-2 vs Argentina now).

By the way, in 1986 they were smashed by Brazil in the next round, losing 0-4 (biggest defeat in their World Cup history alongside another 0-4 vs Portugal in 2002). Let's see if this time they'll also be smashed by their next opponent France.

Mexico finally scored goals, finally won a match... but it was too little and too late.

Maybe they should have selected Feyenoord's Giménez.

He's Mexican, EL's top scorer at the moment, and it's because of him that Feyenoord advanced from the group stage, scoring the winning goal against Lazio coming from the subs bench.

He could have done the same for Mexico today, but to do it, he would have to be in the squad... :dontknow:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
seso

Post by seso »

I read that Alexis Mac Allister is just 24 years old and he has been playing for Brighton & Hove Albion since 2019. He already has 10 apps for the Argentina national football team! Mac Allister's older brothers Francis and Kevin are also professional footballers. They are the sons of Carlos Mac Allister and nephews of Patricio Mac Allister, both retired footballers. Mac Allister is of Irish descent. Interesting that the family did not take up Gaelic football; I read that it is also popular in Argentina!
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

We have an another football circus thanks to Mr. Kulesza (head of Polish FA). He decided not to use a clause which allows him to extend Michniewicz's contract (which expires with the end of this year), but... he also said he is not dismissed (yet) and further cooperation will be under discussion. So what is the problem with making a decision? Money? I don't think so. It is just a silly game by Kulesza and Michniewicz will be dismissed eventually.

It is not the first time he is not serious with making decisions, some forum members probably remember a circus with election for a new NT coach after Sousa's departure. Kulesza is a disco-polo music producer and I have to say that quality of his ruling is equal with quality of this genre of "music" he produces.