Post by Juliusz »

Matchday 2 - postponed match

League table

Result

Lechia Gdańsk - Górnik Zabrze 2:1
Mario Maloča 84', Łukasz Zwoliński 90'+6 - Emil Bergström 45'+1
Attendance: 5297

Top scorers:
9 - Davo (Wisła Płock), Saïd Hamulic (Stal Mielec)
8 - Marc Gual, Jesús Imaz (both Jagiellonia Białystok)
7 - Kamil Grosicki (Pogoń Szczecin), Mikael Ishak (Lech Poznań), Jakub Łukowski (Korona Kielce), Bartosz Nowak (Górnik Zabrze, Raków Częstochowa), Szymon Włodarczyk (Górnik Zabrze)
6 - Ángelo Henríquez (Miedź Legnica), Flávio Paixão (Lechia Gdańsk), Rafał Wolski (Wisła Płock)

Last minute winner by Lechia changed a lot. Now they are above relegation zone, while Górnik will have to be worried about their situation. They can still be involved in this battle.

Yesterday, the cup match Sandecja vs Śląsk was awarded to the guests (0:3 forfeit). That's because Sandecja players left the pitch by their own decision. Behaviour of visiting fans was considered racist though, so they have an away ban in the cup for 6 months and the club was fined 190,000 PLN.

Quarter-finals draw will take place tomorrow at 20:00 CET and this will be the last event in domestic football this year.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Polish Cup quarter-finals - result of the draw

KKS 1925 Kalisz - Śląsk Wrocław
Lechia Zielona Góra - Legia Warszawa
Pogoń Siedlce - Górnik Łęczna
Motor Lublin - Raków Częstochowa

So Ekstraklasa teams got opponents from II and III liga. It will be very interesting to see Raków vs Motor led by Goncalo Feio, who used to be assistant coach at Raków and knows a lot about this team. He also improved Motor a lot since he took over couple of weeks ago.

This round will be played from 28 February to 2 March 2023.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Attendances - Autumn 2022/23

Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Legia has published a financial report for the 2021/22 season.

Total income: 155.2M PLN ~ €33M, +59M PLN (+61%) in comparison to the previous year

Two most important factors:
- European performance according to the expectations (qualifying for the ELGS)
- Opening stadiums for the fans due to partial lifting the pandemic restrictions

-green color - income without tickets + seasonal tickets
-red color - tickets + seasonal tickets

Operational costs: 171M PLN ~ €36.4M, +25M PLN (+25%) in comparison to the previous year

Three most important factors:
- higher matchday costs, opening stadiums for the fans & more matches played (EL matches + more matchdays in Ekstraklasa due to extending the league from 16 to 18 clubs participating)
- higher costs of maintaining the stadium and the training center
- higher costs of maintaining the team due to participating in the ELGS (salaries, bonuses, medical staff)

Total debt - 194M PLN ~ €41.3M
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Polish Ekstraklasa will resume tomorrow :clapping: with Miedź Legnica - Radomiak Radom at 18:00 CET and Stal Mielec - Lech Poznań at 20:30.

Here are the odds to win the league:

Raków - 1.10
Legia - 12.50
Lech - 15.00
Pogoń - 50.00 etc.

Relegation Odds:

Korona - 1.25
Miedź - 1.50
Zagłębie - 2.25
Jagiellonia - 2.75
Piast - 3.75
Lechia - 3.75
Radomiak - 7.50
Śląsk - 7.50 etc.

Raków are clear favourites in the title race. They have 9-point advantage over 2nd placed Legia, they avoided significant weaknesses (only Deian Sorescu left for Steaua) and signed Jean Carlos from Pogoń Szczecin. Legia has an empty wallet and is focused much more on extending contracts with key players. At this moment Josue and Mladenović are very likely to leave the club after the end of this season. Jędrzejczyk and Kapustka will extend their contracts. Tomas Pekhart will return to Legia and sign a contract next week, unless something unexpected happens.

In the relegation battle I think that Zagłębie Lubin will avoid relegation. I consider Fornalik a very good coach and it is hard to imagine for me that Zagłębie will go down with him as the manager.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Matchday 18

League table

Results

Miedź Legnica - Radomiak Radom 0:0
Attendance: 3831

Stal Mielec - Lech Poznań 0:0
Attendance: 6001

Warta Poznań - Raków Częstochowa 1:1
Milan Rundić 26' (own goal) - Strátos Svárnas 58'
Attendance: 1846

Widzew Łódź - Pogoń Szczecin 3:3
Bartłomiej Pawłowski 67', Ernest Terpiłowski 79', Martin Kreuzriegler 90'+9 (penalty) - Kamil Grosicki 20', Sebastian Kowalczyk 75', Luka Zahovič 86'
Attendance: 17 680

Śląsk Wrocław - Zagłębie Lubin 0:3
Kacper Chodyna 33', Saša Živec 67', Tomasz Pieńko 90'+5
Attendance: 9080

Piast Gliwice - Jagiellonia Białystok 1:1
Kamil Wilczek 68' - Wojciech Łaski 61'
Attendance: 3328

Legia Warszawa - Korona Kielce 3:2
Josué 24' (penalty), Maik Nawrocki 36', Bartosz Kapustka 47' - Yevgeniy Shikavka 65', 79'
Attendance: 18 069

Lechia Gdańsk - Wisła Płock 1:0
Łukasz Zwoliński 53'
Attendance: 5675

Cracovia - Górnik Zabrze 2:0
Virgil Ghiță 17', David Jablonský 53'
Attendance: 7038

Top scorers:
8 - Kamil Grosicki (Pogoń Szczecin), Marc Gual, Jesús Imaz (both Jagiellonia Białystok)
7 - Mikael Ishak (Lech Poznań), Jakub Łukowski (Korona Kielce), Bartosz Nowak (Górnik Zabrze, Raków Częstochowa), Szymon Włodarczyk (Górnik Zabrze)
6 - Ángelo Henríquez (Miedź Legnica), Josué (Legia Warszawa), Flávio Paixão (Lechia Gdańsk), Bartłomiej Pawłowski (Widzew Łódź), Kamil Wilczek (Piast Gliwice), Rafał Wolski (Wisła Płock)

We are back. First round of the year started with four straight draws, including points lost by both Lech and Raków. Among the top half, only Legia and Cracovia managed to win. The former had a similar match vs Korona like Lech did. They had an enormous advantage, but in the end they had to be very nervous about the result. In the end, it was positive though.

Not much changed when it comes to squads and way of playing for almost all teams. One significant change is Waldemar Fornalik, who is now coach of Zagłębie and beat Śląsk badly in his first match.

There were not many exciting transfers, but there is still plenty of time, because our transfer window will last until the end of February. Saïd Hamulic was sold by Stal to Toulouse, so the competition for the top scorer will be even weaker. At the moment, Spanish Jagiellonia players are the only strikers to have at least 8 goals scored. Davo and Kamil Grosicki are midfielders.

This week we will see the postponed match Miedź vs Lech from matchday 2. It will be played on Wednesday at 19:00 CET.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Polish Ekstraklasa is well known for unique tactical solutions, unknown worldwide.

This time Rafał Augustyniak from Legia showed how to make an offside trap on the opponents' half of the pitch.

https://twitter.com/CANALPLUS_SPORT/sta ... ce%2F88391
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Greyn wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 04:56 Polish Ekstraklasa is well known for unique tactical solutions, unknown worldwide.

This time Rafał Augustyniak from Legia showed how to make an offside trap on the opponents' half of the pitch.

https://twitter.com/CANALPLUS_SPORT/sta ... ce%2F88391
:up: :rollfloor:
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Matchday 2 - postponed match

League table

Result

Miedź Legnica - Lech Poznań 2:2
Luciano Narsingh 16', Giánnis Massoúras 76' - Filip Marchwiński 36', Mikael Ishak 67' (penalty)
Attendance: 4547

Top scorers:
8 - Kamil Grosicki (Pogoń Szczecin), Marc Gual, Jesús Imaz (both Jagiellonia Białystok), Mikael Ishak (Lech Poznań)
7 - Jakub Łukowski (Korona Kielce), Bartosz Nowak (Górnik Zabrze, Raków Częstochowa), Szymon Włodarczyk (Górnik Zabrze)
6 - Ángelo Henríquez (Miedź Legnica), Josué (Legia Warszawa), Flávio Paixão (Lechia Gdańsk), Bartłomiej Pawłowski (Widzew Łódź), Kamil Wilczek (Piast Gliwice), Rafał Wolski (Wisła Płock)

Both Miedź and Lech start the new year with two draws. One can wonder, how on Earth Lech failed to win this. They were again inefficient, unlucky and had a keeper in his best shape against them. This time they even scored twice having many chances, but Miedź did too on their only two opportunities. The hosts were clearly happy with the result and rarely crossed their own half, but it ended all square.

This means that now... Widzew are third, because they don't calculate H2H vs Pogoń anymore. They are tied with Lech and Pogoń and not all matches among these teams were played, so goal difference comes into account first.

Yesterday evening Wisła Płock sold Davo to Eupen. So now the best scorers still active in the league are those with 8 goals, including Ishak (half of his goals are penalties now).

We continue with matchday 19 at the weekend, including the return leg Lech vs Miedź.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Matchday 19

League table

Results

Wisła Płock - Warta Poznań postponed (heavy snowfall)

Widzew Łódź - Jagiellonia Białystok 1:1
Dominik Kun 78' - Martin Kreuzriegler 90' (own goal)
Attendance: 17 081

Raków Częstochowa - Piast Gliwice 1:0
Jakub Czerwiński 40' (own goal)
Attendance: 5238

Górnik Zabrze - Lechia Gdańsk 1:1
Szymon Włodarczyk 45'+9 (penalty) - Łukasz Zwoliński 71'
Attendance: 8342

Zagłębie Lubin - Legia Warszawa 1:2
Łukasz Łakomy 66' - Paweł Wszołek 37', Ernest Muçi 59'
Attendance: 8427

Radomiak Radom - Stal Mielec 1:0
Raphael Rossi 24'
Attendance: 2545

Lech Poznań - Miedź Legnica 1:0
Mikael Ishak 17'
Attendance: 10 820

Pogoń Szczecin - Śląsk Wrocław 0:2
Erik Expósito 48', John Yeboah 86' (penalty)
Attendance: 14 040

Korona Kielce - Cracovia 2:1
Piotr Malarczyk 30', Jakub Łukowski 56' (penalty) - Karol Knap 66' (penalty)
Attendance: 5679

Top scorers:
9 - Davo (Wisła Płock), Saïd Hamulic (Stal Mielec), Mikael Ishak (Lech Poznań)
8 - Kamil Grosicki (Pogoń Szczecin), Marc Gual, Jesús Imaz (both Jagiellonia Białystok), Jakub Łukowski (Korona Kielce), Szymon Włodarczyk (Górnik Zabrze)
7 - Bartosz Nowak (Górnik Zabrze, Raków Częstochowa)
6 - Ángelo Henríquez (Miedź Legnica), Josué (Legia Warszawa), Flávio Paixão, Łukasz Zwoliński (both Lechia Gdańsk), Bartłomiej Pawłowski (Widzew Łódź), Kamil Wilczek (Piast Gliwice), Rafał Wolski (Wisła Płock)

Postponed match, long time no see... This weekend we had serious weather issues which affected league matches:

Wisła - Warta had to be postponed and will probably be played at the beginning of March,
Widzew - Jagiellonia had to be moved by 30 minutes in order to prepare the pitch and the stands,
Raków - Piast was finished with some difficulties,
Górnik - Lechia had over 30 minutes interruption,
Zagłębie - Legia had to be moved by 10 minutes because of delay in Zabrze, but conditions were nice there.
The remaining matches were played relatively smoothly, although Radomiak had to do a lot of work in order to have their pitch more or less playable.

Top 3 now looks as I would like it. Raków didn't show anything special, Legia did their best in first 65 minutes again, then became nervous, and Lech were extremely inefficient. They hit the bar three times and had several misses, including these on open goal. Ishak scored two goals in two games vs Miedź, but he should have easily scored at least five or six. It could have all ended worse, but Henríquez was equally inefficient for Miedź.

Korona are alive at the bottom and you can't rule anyone out at the moment. Even Piast, who collected just one point from two matches, were much better vs Jagiellonia and fought hard vs Raków. Currently the team in the worst shape seems to be Jagiellonia, but things can change quickly. After a miserable loss vs Zagłębie, Śląsk had a hard time vs Pogoń, but still were able to win.

Next week will see an important match Zagłębie vs Piast (with Waldemar Fornalik, ex-Piast, now at Zagłębie, as the main hero, and of course the direct relegation battle) and two major disappointments so far against each other, Jagiellonia vs Pogoń.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Juliusz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 00:38
Currently the team in the worst shape seems to be Jagiellonia, but things can change quickly. After a miserable loss vs Zagłębie, Śląsk had a hard time vs Pogoń, but still were able to win.
I did not watch Górnik - Lechia, but after watching Cracovia - Górnik (2-0) I have to say that Górnik are as bad as Jagiellonia. They were helpless and toothless vs Craxa. Cracovia scored very early and you would expect from a team that is behind to start attacking to find the equaliser. Instead, they were not able to make a few complete passes on the opponents half. When Podolski (who is supposed to be a forward in the Górnik team) realised that there is no sense to wait for the ball near the box he started playing as the playmaker, but it did not help much.

As you wrote, things change quickly in Ekstraklasa, so I don't dare to make a prediction that they will be relegated, but I would definitely hire a new coach because this experiment with German coach is not working for Górnik.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Greyn wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 08:04
Juliusz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 00:38
Currently the team in the worst shape seems to be Jagiellonia, but things can change quickly. After a miserable loss vs Zagłębie, Śląsk had a hard time vs Pogoń, but still were able to win.
I did not watch Górnik - Lechia, but after watching Cracovia - Górnik (2-0) I have to say that Górnik are as bad as Jagiellonia. They were helpless and toothless vs Craxa. Cracovia scored very early and you would expect from a team that is behind to start attacking to find the equaliser. Instead, they were not able to make a few complete passes on the opponents half. When Podolski (who is supposed to be a forward in the Górnik team) realised that there is no sense to wait for the ball near the box he started playing as the playmaker, but it did not help much.

As you wrote, things change quickly in Ekstraklasa, so I don't dare to make a prediction that they will be relegated, but I would definitely hire a new coach because this experiment with German coach is not working for Górnik.
Good point about Górnik, but this match vs Lechia was quite balanced. It was also unusual in some way; long break, difficult conditions and referee errors, including no red card for Zwoliński and strange penalty for Górnik. I would wait and see, it was not so bad vs Lechia, but in the long run they might lack quality apart from Podolski.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

@Juliusz

Yes, let's wait and see. Relegation battle should be very interesting this season. Right now Jagiellonia and Górnik seem to be the easiest to catch for clubs in the relegation zone.

Miedź was quite competitive vs Lech at home, Lech dominated in Poznań, but even in that match Miedź had some chances to equalise and it was nervous for Lech till the final whistle.

Korona were very poor in Warsaw until the moment when Legia scored the goal for 3-0 and decided to stop playing football because, they thought, " the game is over". I expected an away win for Cracovia next week in Kielce, but Ekstraklasa showed its real, unpredictable face once again.

As for Piast, I don't rate Vuković as a coach too high. He once said about himself "I am a very good coach. Just not many people are aware of that". Well, I dare to disagree with his opinion... :wink: Fornalik's time in Gliwice came to an end, the team needed a new impulse, but I think that Piast will have a very tough time with avoiding relegation this year.

Speaking about Zagłębie Lubin, there are rumours that Jakub Świerczok may join the team soon. It would be a big strengthening for them. To be honest, I think that Świerczok is a better striker than Pekhart, who joined Legia in this transfer window.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

@Greyn

I consider Piast to have a team strong enough to be high in the table, definitely the top half. But they are not able to start collecting points regularly so far. If they don't wake up, their quality might not be so important, and mental aspects of the battle could be crucial then.

Given that Widzew, Stal and Warta have been surprisingly good this season, we are going to have at least one surprising team relegated. If Korona and Miedź are down, it would be more or less expected, although Miedź is stronger for me. For all other teams ranked 11-16, a relegation would be a disaster. Górnik and Śląsk seem random teams to me, they can play either great or terrible. Zagłębie should make progress under Fornalik even without more transfers. Lechia have had better results under new coach. So it looks either Piast or Jagiellonia for me... Or both. If the latter have their Spanish strikers fit, they should prevail, but their situation is getting worse and worse, especially since Cezary Kulesza left the club.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Examples of Widzew, Stal and Warta prove that you don't need to have a big budget to be competitive in Ekstraklasa. With a good management and responsible spending money every club can occupy a place in the top half of the table. 2 years ago Warta Poznań, with the smallest budget in the league, was involved in the battle for European spots with a few matchdays to go, while in most pre-season predictions they were main candidates for the last spot and relegation.

Jagiellonia and their offensive play depend a lot from the Spanish players, as you mentioned, particularly from Marc Gual. As you know, he will join Legia after the end of this season. Legia wanted to have him already this Spring, but luckily for Jaga fans, he will stay in Białystok for a few next months. Without Gual their chances to stay in the league would be very limited. He has to be fit at first and find a motivation to play his best for the rest of the season because people from Jagiellonia complained about Gual and his "I want to leave" attitude last Autumn.