Euro 2024 Group A: Germany - Scotland - Hungary - Switzerland

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

That was knackering to sit through.
Hoopy

Post by Hoopy »

Michael S Collins wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 23:11 That was knackering to sit through.
We were unlucky though don't you agree? Can't believe we hit the post late on
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Hoopy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 22:58 A win would give the 4pts which (hopefully) would negate the GD. 4pts isn't a guarantee to go through but it is very likely based on previous tournaments. A loss probably meant Scotland would be out considering the GD
Yes, in the previous EURO there were three 3rd placed teams with 4 points, so they all advanced. The fourth best was Ukraine with 3 points and a GD of -1.

Good chance for Scotland, difficult for Hungary even with a win.
Hoopy

Post by Hoopy »

BurningStorm wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 23:19
Hoopy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 22:58 A win would give the 4pts which (hopefully) would negate the GD. 4pts isn't a guarantee to go through but it is very likely based on previous tournaments. A loss probably meant Scotland would be out considering the GD
Yes, in the previous EURO there were three 3rd placed teams with 4 points and they all advanced. The fourth best was Ukraine with 3 points and a GD of -1.

Good chance for Scotland, difficult for Hungary even with a win.
I think Hungary are out tbh but they have nothing to lose now so that might not help Scotland.

Tierney probably missing out will be a huge loss and might make a difference. I am glad Porteous can't make it cause he's a liability, I'd probably switch Ralston for Forrest as well (or mcrorrie) Ralston doesn't look fully fit
Hoopy

Post by Hoopy »

Uefa have given Scott McTominay the first goal, by the way.

And rightly so.

He's now scored nine goals for Scotland under Steve Clarke, with only John McGinn (18) netting more.

He had only scored one at the start of Euro 2024 qualifying - madness!
Hoopy

Post by Hoopy »

With one game to go I think Scotland and Hungary showed that they aren't shit at football. I find it funny a lot of the critics have gone quiet "sight seeing, bad at football" etc.

It's easy to judge teams on one game when you don't usually see them through a season/campaign.

I understand Hungary lost and Scotland drew but Germany are world class and Scotland were unlucky not to win in the end, maybe reserve judgement till you actually see a team over more games rather than one offs
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

Germany win as expected.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Club-Mate wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 21:31
bugylibicska wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 20:41
Lorric wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 20:37 @bugylibicska Highlights are already up on BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/vi ... rr1xj3099o

Maybe you'll be able to see it regardless, but if you're still in the UK you'll definitely be able to see it.
I'm back in Canada and it's blocked here. I'll watch if I can, but for me it's a blatant foul not shoulder to shoulder.
When in doubt often would be decided for the bigger team, in this case Germany. The same yesterday, clear foul on a Czech player and not allowed and short time later Portugal scored. Similar big mistake of ref in the AUT vs FRA match. Baumgartner alone to Maignan, he saved by foot and then??? should be corner all right? no, kick off for France shortly later France scored their only goal. I could tell more sophistications here but I don't want to.
If a ref wouldn't know whom to blow for a penalty or whom not to blow, he's very soon out of the privileged group invited to international tournaments. Or better, never invited to join the group. As the mafioso said: it is what it is. This Makkelie is a very poor ref, but he knows how to play the game.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

There is way more pushing and shoving with every corner kick in every game. If that's a foul, then half the corner kicks from now on will result in a defensive free kick. While for the other half, the game will be continued from the penalty mark.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Hoopy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 23:13
Michael S Collins wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 23:11 That was knackering to sit through.
We were unlucky though don't you agree? Can't believe we hit the post late on
Well, we were unlucky in that we make scoring goals look really difficult (and hit the post, missed a few golden chances, and conceded off our one real error of the game). However I'd say we were also lucky VAR was used properly twice to rule out offside goals for Switzerland, given how badly we've seen the system used in Britain.

Still, it's in our hands on the final day (because 4 points is 99.9% qualification) and that's all you can ask. But I said before the tournament I felt the game v Hungary would be the trickiest and I'm still feeling that way! Especially now its do or die for both.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Congratulations Germany! :applause:

This time, unlike in Euro 2020 and in UEFA Nations League twice, they defeated Hungary!

My opinion about the Orban-Gundogan incident:

1) It is a foul. That's not "shoulder to shoulder", Gundogan may have used his shoulder to charge Orban, but he didn't use it against Orban's shoulder, the shoulder is the upper part of the arm, not below it.

2) I believe that Germany would have won even without this incident

3) So Makkelie's decision harmed both teams, it harmed Hungary because it gave an unfair goal to Germany, but it also harmed Germany because it robbed them the possibility of winning the match without the referee's help.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Lorric wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 18:25 Btw, why are Germany not playing in their beautiful home kit in their home tournament as the admin home team in this game?
Because they need to show off their beautiful pink kit so Hungarian can see that it's the new black. Somehow we just still don't get it!
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

anty1975 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 19:32
Jua Ferreira wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 18:41 The goal should be cancelled tbh. Clear foul
Don't think so, shoulder to shoulder challenge and German guy was stronger thats all :wink:
A shoulder to shoulder challenge does not automatically mean no foul. Please look it up. It was a clear foul.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Lorric wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 19:41
anty1975 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 19:32
Jua Ferreira wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 18:41 The goal should be cancelled tbh. Clear foul
Don't think so, shoulder to shoulder challenge and German guy was stronger thats all :wink:
Totally objective comment here, no bias at all. :wink:

But I decided to go back on the Iplayer and look, and I think it is ultimately shoulder to shoulder. I think the Hungarian is trying to turn on impact so he's off balance and goes sprawling.
Again, shoulder to shoulder does not automatically mean no foul. This was a clear foul but while I was watching the second half (seeing Hungary didn't get a clear penalty either) I realized this match has been politicized by UEFA. They just couldn't afford Hungary claiming the moral high ground again, not with all that's happening with the elections, the Hungarian EU presidency etc. It's just disgusting how they turned the politics volume up and appointed Dutch referees who were clearly in favour of the Germans. Disgusting, disgusting. If I was the president of the Hungarian FA I would make a huge thing out of this. It really doesn't matter what Gündogan says, he was just rubbing our face in it. Shame on the decision makers who let this happen.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Hoopy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 23:23Uefa have given Scott McTominay the first goal, by the way.
I agree. It was a shot on goal that Schar deflected, so it's a goal. It should only be considered an own goal when the shot wasn't on goal and was only a goal because of the deflection.

There are controversies about this for assists too. If you see UEFA.com or soccerway or goalpoint, sometimes they disagree about this. Was Turkey's third goal an assist by Orkun Kokçu? Was Netherlands' second goal an assist by Aké? Etc.

Hoopy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 23:37 With one game to go I think Scotland and Hungary showed that they aren't shit at football. I find it funny a lot of the critics have gone quiet "sight seeing, bad at football" etc.

It's easy to judge teams on one game when you don't usually see them through a season/campaign.

I understand Hungary lost and Scotland drew but Germany are world class and Scotland were unlucky not to win in the end, maybe reserve judgement till you actually see a team over more games rather than one offs
Which "critics" do you have in mind?

I've read lots of complimentary articles about both Scotland and Hungary, and rightfully so, it wasn't propaganda or wishful thinking from fanboys.

How Hungary survived in Nations League A, in a group with Italy, Germany and England, and how they won their qualifying group for Euro 2024 undefeated.

How Scotland was promoted to Nations League A finishing above Ukraine, and then qualified for Euro 2024 above the "Norwegian superstars".

The fact that they both reached Euro 2024 already proves that they're good teams, just like any other Euro 2024 participant.

Actually, the most disrespectful comments that I remember were about two Group E teams, Romania and Slovakia! Ironically, they both won their games, and in Romania's case emphatically. :grin1:
Last edited by Dragonite on Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:17, edited 3 times in total.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)