UEFA Euro 2024

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Slovenia - Serbia in Munich
Hard to predict. Slovenia got a nice point against Denmark, Serbia showed a decent performance against one of the top favorites. Maybe we'll see a similar game like the Albania-Croatia one? 2-2.

Denmark - England in Frankfurt
The Danes should try to get at least a point because a win against Serbia on MD3 is not a safe thing. England wouldn't be unhappy with a draw, I guess. However, quality wise they are better. 1-2.

Spain - Italy in Gelsenkirchen
The 'biggest' game so far. The Spanish team was clinical against Croatia and a bit lucky in the defense. Against Italy it's usually harder to score. 1-1.
offside

Post by offside »

BurningStorm wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 00:08Spain - Italy in Gelsenkirchen
The 'biggest' game so far. The Spanish team was clinical against Croatia and a bit lucky in the defense. Against Italy it's usually harder to score. 1-1.
It could be, and I hope in a balanced and fun match to watch, but I am rather skeptical about the chances for Italy to gain points in this match: with a victory Spain would be already mathematically first of the group, and I don't think that La Roja will miss the chance.

Italy can qualify second also losing this second match: actually a draw against Croatia would be enough.

My prediction is: Spain - Italy 3 - 1 (1 - 1 after the first half); goals by Morata, Chiesa, Yamal, and a late goal by Rodri.
Witkop1983

Post by Witkop1983 »

It looks like the two best teams of the tournament will meet in the quarterfinals. Unless somehow Germany will let Switzerland win...
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Slovakia - Ukraine in Düsseldorf
Huge pressure for Ukraine while Slovakia could reach the KO stage even with a draw already (most likely). I am not sure if Ukraine can change their body language completely. 1-1.

Poland - Austria in Berlin
Almost a 'must win game' for both, even though both would be still in the game if this ends in a draw, but especially for Austria with their high ambitions it would be a disappointment if they can not win this. I wouldn't be surprised if they draw against Poland but win against the Netherlands. However, prediction is 1-2.

Netherlands - France in Leipzig
A draw would be comfortable for both, but I think France will clinch the group win already. Lets see if the Dutch team can hurt France's defense more than Austria did. 1-2.
offside

Post by offside »

With all the respect for Germany, France, England, and others, I would be surprised if this Spain won't win this EURO.
air

Post by air »

Witkop1983 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 23:02 It looks like the two best teams of the tournament will meet in the quarterfinals. Unless somehow Germany will let Switzerland win...
I think it's early to say if Germany is one of the best teams or not. While Spain dominated Italy totally, Germany couldn't even get clear control for 60-70 minutes of a match against Hungary.
seso

Post by seso »

offside wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 08:17 With all the respect for Germany, France, England, and others, I would be surprised if this Spain won't win this EURO.
Let's also watch Netherlands-France today!

Rooting for Poland of course earlier!
offside

Post by offside »

seso wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:31Let's also watch Netherlands-France today!
My prediction is a draw, 2 - 2. :grin1:
air

Post by air »

Austria-Poland: both teams have my sympathy, and Hungary also needs a draw here. Let's have a 2-2, and I want to see the little golden generation of Sabitzer, Baumgartner, Gregoritsch, Laimer cooking.

Ukraine-Slovakia: although I personally like Slovaks, we need Ukraine to win 1-0 here.

Holland-France: I hope both teams will show that they are in contention for the title, I especially want to see nice football from the scousers in orange. Let's have a draw and both teams to play something for in the last round vs Austria and Poland.
JohnHarts

Post by JohnHarts »

dandeer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 13:08 I seriously think Uefa should go back to 16 teams but that would be bad for business, good for football. The latter they never cared about, unfo.
24 teams just doesn't work. The "best 3rd placed teams" nonsense means there is very little jeopardy as teams can go through with just 3 points. It's also poor for organisers and fans, who have no idea where they'll end up next round. Problem is there are no good ways to fix it

1) Scrap the round of 16 and just have the group winners and best runner-up from each half of the draw qualifying. That solves the jeopardy issue but results in more dead rubbers.

2) Replace the round of 16 and QF with a second group stage. Since groups of 3 have major issues, the top 2 from each half of the draw form groups of 6 with results between the teams who met in the first group stage carrying forward. The top 2 then qualify for the semis. Again that solves the jeopardy and logistical issues but is less appealing than knock-out games for fans and broadcasters. It could also lead to teams being eliminated with 2 games to play and adds 2 games for players.

Given all that, I would be hugely surprised if UEFA 2028 was not the last to feature 24 teams before they expand to 32. If they'd had 32 this year the additional teams would have been Wales, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Israel, Greece. I don't think the quality would have dropped significantly with them in but it does create the issue we now have with CONMEBOL WC qualifying that there is very little challenge for top teams any more.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Ukraine were my dark horses! (Alongside France and England as more realistic winners)

With my record I should have picked Hungary, Switzerland and Germany to win!
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Georgia - Czechia in Hamburg
Another spectacle with Georgia? Czechia of course favorite, they almost got a point against Portugal and should win this because against Turkey you never know. 1-2.

Turkey - Portugal in Dortmund
Another Dortmund game for the Turkish team. Both countries have met each other in three EUROs before and Portugal won all three of them without conceding any goal. This will change this time, but the winner should be the same again. 2-3.

Belgium - Romania in Cologne
Can Belgium strike back after their disappointment? Probably. 2-0.
seso

Post by seso »

Too bad for Poland... Belgium vs Romania should be very interesting today! Turkey vs Portugal too!
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

JohnHarts wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 13:39
dandeer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 13:08 I seriously think Uefa should go back to 16 teams but that would be bad for business, good for football. The latter they never cared about, unfo.
24 teams just doesn't work. The "best 3rd placed teams" nonsense means there is very little jeopardy as teams can go through with just 3 points. It's also poor for organisers and fans, who have no idea where they'll end up next round. Problem is there are no good ways to fix it

1) Scrap the round of 16 and just have the group winners and best runner-up from each half of the draw qualifying. That solves the jeopardy issue but results in more dead rubbers.

2) Replace the round of 16 and QF with a second group stage. Since groups of 3 have major issues, the top 2 from each half of the draw form groups of 6 with results between the teams who met in the first group stage carrying forward. The top 2 then qualify for the semis. Again that solves the jeopardy and logistical issues but is less appealing than knock-out games for fans and broadcasters. It could also lead to teams being eliminated with 2 games to play and adds 2 games for players.

Given all that, I would be hugely surprised if UEFA 2028 was not the last to feature 24 teams before they expand to 32. If they'd had 32 this year the additional teams would have been Wales, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Israel, Greece. I don't think the quality would have dropped significantly with them in but it does create the issue we now have with CONMEBOL WC qualifying that there is very little challenge for top teams any more.
Expanding from 16 to 32 was "too much" for the hosts in one go. So yes it will be expanded to 32 but they gave a couple of decades to coutrries to prepare for it. But 16 (or even 8 when I was younger) wasn't great either, when qualifying for your continental tournament is as hard as qualifying for the WC, there is something wrong.
diyx

Post by diyx »

The problem I see with a 32-team tournament is that only a handfull of countries are able to host. Even the 16-teams tournament was hosted by two countries more often than not.