Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

@Thunder_PT:

Thanks and a tip o'the hat :!: :up: :up:
germanyfrance33

Post by germanyfrance33 »

Thunder_PT wrote:
The law says:
"The honors of the Pantheon are intended to honor and perpetuate the memory of Portuguese citizens who have distinguished themselves for services rendered to the country, in the exercise of high public positions, high military services, the expansion of Portuguese culture, literary, scientific and artistic creation or defending the values ​​of civilization, for the sake of dignity of the human person and the cause of freedom"

So, can football be considered "artistic creation"? If not I believe they'll just change the law a bit so Eusébio can get in.

Edit: Coincidentally, right after writing this, I read that the parliament approved Eusébio's burial in the Pantheon.

I don't think that there was need to change the law....to me qualifies easily as "expansion of Portuguese culture".
Even in a small way,football and the way is played and felt,reflects a part of every nation/society/people's soul. And that's culture.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

And now Coluna is gone, shortly after Eusebio.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/history/ ... 63204.html
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

bugylibicska wrote:And now Coluna is gone, shortly after Eusebio.

RIP to him.

Only in February, and 2014 has been harsh to football so far in terms of losses. :(
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

bugylibicska wrote:And now Coluna is gone, shortly after Eusebio.

Another of my favorites. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
QEPD
kleber

Post by kleber »

R.I.P
gogu

Post by gogu »

Coluna was a great player. After watching some games of Benfica and Portuguese NT after Eusébio passed away I understand better is role in the field. He was a true leader.
And we cannot forgett that in those days, Portugal (and Europe?) was still racist. Coluna came from Mozambique and become the first african (black) to be captain of Benfica and NT. There was no blacks in leading positions in other areas. Also for that, or maybe because of that, Coluna is in the History.
After independence of Mozambique, he returned to be the first national champion as coach, and later he was president of the national FA.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Bellini who captained Brazil in the 58 WC in Sweden died.

http://us.soccerway.com/news/2014/March ... s/n271026/
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Grosics Gyula the goalkeeper for Hungary during the golden years has died. He was 88 years old. Only one player left - Buzánszky Jenő - from that team. RIP Grosics Gyuszi! :(
Todor

Post by Todor »

bugylibicska wrote:Grosics Gyula the goalkeeper for Hungary during the golden years has died. He was 88 years old. Only one player left - Buzánszky Jenő - from that team. RIP Grosics Gyuszi! :(
Last week I watched the official FIFA film for the 1954 WC. Then I checked how many players from the final were still alive. It proved only four were, two from each team. Now sadly they are only 3 : Horst Eckel - aged 82, Hans Schaefer - aged 86 and Jeno Buzanszky - aged 89
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It wasn't unexpected, after cardiac arrest and a coma, but :arrow:

Alfredo di Stefano has died at age 88. Hasta siempre, don Alfredo :!: QDEP.

Although I became a fan in 1965 when he was at the very end of his career, I had no idea who he was and don't know whether he played in either of the two games I saw that fall.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

AlanK wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Although I became a fan in 1965 when he was at the very end of his career, I had no idea who he was and don't know whether he played in either of the two games I saw that fall.
RIP to a legend.

My late grandfather saw most of the greats from the 50s to 80s from the terrace, and maintained the four greatest he ever saw were Jimmy Johnstone, Eusebio, Puskas and Di Stefano.

And now they've all gone. :cry:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

"No hay pájaros hogaño en los nidos de antaño." :cry:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Michael S Collins wrote:

RIP to a legend.

My late grandfather saw most of the greats from the 50s to 80s from the terrace, and maintained the four greatest he ever saw were Jimmy Johnstone, Eusebio, Puskas and Di Stefano.

And now they've all gone. :cry:
I have seen all four playing, hard to argue with the taste of your grandfather. Puskas with Di Stefano (and Gento) arguably the most lethal attacking force in history. RIP Alfredo! :(

Real's apotheosis was the 7-3 victory against Eintracht Frankfurt in the 1960 European Cup final held at Hampden Park, Glasgow. In the autumn of his career he struck up a famous partnership with another great striker of the 1950s, the Hungarian Ferenc Puskás. Both were then in their mid-30s, Di Stéfano balding and Puskás with a pot belly, but that evening more than 125,000 Scottish fans were held spellbound by their sublime, almost exotic skill in what is still regarded as one of the greatest games ever. Di Stéfano scored three goals and Puskás four.

http://www.footytube.com/news/guardian/ ... p_newsfeed
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

"There is a phalanx of great ones – [Johan] Cruyff, [Diego] Maradona, Pele, [Ferenc] Puskas and Di Stefano. Di Stefano was one of the greatest in my mind. (Alex Ferguson)

http://ca.soccerway.com/news/2014/July/ ... o/n352759/

I find it curious he did not mention any names from England, Germany, France, Spain or Italy. Except Maradona and Pele the others never won a WC. Could it be that the losers (according to Mourinho) are remembered, not the winners. (I would add Eusebio to his list.)