UEFA Youth League 2017/18

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
pineapple stu

UEFA Youth League 2017/18

Post by pineapple stu »

So this is obviously exceptionally early, but...

A couple of teams are starting to qualify for this - maybe.

Breidablik and UCD (from Iceland and Ireland) have both qualified - if enough countries higher up have their underage winner get into the Champions' League proper. UCD - who were in the Europa League as a second division side last year - won their league final 4-1 v Galway last night. Breidablik won their league by three points.

In UCD's case, we need four teams to have be in both the CL proper and to be underage champions in order for us to reach the UEFA Youth League. (Breidablik need two such teams)

I've been having a look around, though, and I can't find any info at all on the following -

> Russian Under-18 Cup
> Belgian Under-17 league
> Azerbaijani Under-19 league
> Cypriot Under-17 league
> Bulgarian Under-18 Cup
> Kazakh Under-18 league
> Finnish U-17 B-Junior league

Anyone able to help there at all? Particularly the first two, which would be the most likely to have the winners also qualifying for the Champions' League proper.

This, of course, is assuming the rules stay the same for next year.

I have a file done up to keep track of all the leagues down to 37th (Ireland - I don't care beyond that :) ), and it could well be tight for UCD to get in - although there's a long way to go in a lot of the leagues of course. But "doubles" like Celtic in Scotland, Legia in Poland and Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia are already looking a bit unlikely even at this stage, so I don't think it'll go down as far as 41st as it did this year. Don't see that I can attach it here for reference though?

Any help welcome!
popularside

Post by popularside »

Well done to UCD on their victory.

I think it is worse for UCD. Ireland were 41st at the end of 2015/16. I think this is the one that decides the access list for 2017/2018.

Now it did get down to 41st this time so not without hope. Ireland are already 37th (at worst) for the end of this European campaign. This means that the 2017 U19 champions will have a much better chance of reaching the UEFA youth League.
pineapple stu

Post by pineapple stu »

Ah shite. You could well be right actually. I missed that looking at the current season rankings - very little ranking difference.

Still, as you say, 41st did qualify this year, and though I doubt it will do so next year, it makes the original query about the other leagues still valid I guess!