cycling

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 14:35
OlliWender wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 13:42 It's weird how there seem to always be different nations starting to dominate an era in cycling, at least in terms of gc riders.

Late 2000s/early 2010s Spain: Contador, Valverde, Joaquim Rodriguez
Followed by Britain: Wiggins, Froome, Thomas, Yates brothers
and now even Slovenia: Roglic and Pogacar
In Britain only Froome managed to win more than 1 great tour. Like in other sports, the gap from sharks and other teams has grow and now its hard so see anybody outside top 4 teams to win a great tour.
True. I really haven't been following cycling the last 5 years or so and my favorite years were actually around 2003-2008 but the big scandals every year from 2006 on really hampered my enjoyment.
The positive thing about those years was definitely that, after Armstrong's first retirement, all the teams seemed roughly equal and everyone had at least one decent top 10 Grand Tour rider, and if not, then they had a great team for supporting their sprinter like Boonen, Hushovd or Petacchi.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

OlliWender wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 14:56
rpo.castro wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 14:35
OlliWender wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 13:42 It's weird how there seem to always be different nations starting to dominate an era in cycling, at least in terms of gc riders.

Late 2000s/early 2010s Spain: Contador, Valverde, Joaquim Rodriguez
Followed by Britain: Wiggins, Froome, Thomas, Yates brothers
and now even Slovenia: Roglic and Pogacar
In Britain only Froome managed to win more than 1 great tour. Like in other sports, the gap from sharks and other teams has grow and now its hard so see anybody outside top 4 teams to win a great tour.
True. I really haven't been following cycling the last 5 years or so and my favorite years were actually around 2003-2008 but the big scandals every year from 2006 on really hampered my enjoyment.
The positive thing about those years was definitely that, after Armstrong's first retirement, all the teams seemed roughly equal and everyone had at least one decent top 10 Grand Tour rider, and if not, then they had a great team for supporting their sprinter like Boonen, Hushovd or Petacchi.
Armstrong destroyed one of the most beautiful cycling eras.
Lately we had some Froome-Quintana battles.
I ve been following more the Giro instead of Tour. Looks most of the times more competitive and with more room for surprises and where Ineos fails more.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Ronde van Vlaanderen (or Tour of Flanders) already on the road.
Superfavourite Wout van Aert out of the race due to covid-19. Mathieu van der Poel is now the favourite but there a lot waiting for their time.

So far in World Tour, 5 wins for Slovenia, 3 for Belgium, 1 for Colombia, 1 for Netherlands and an historic win for Biniam Girmay from Eritrea (first african winner of a cycling classic).
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Brilliant with for Mathieu van der Poel. He and Pogacar were the strongest men but Mathieu wait for the riders behind them to sprint. Pogacar got in the trap and fell to only 4th place. Will have to wait to get a Monument.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Great stage for Team Jumbo Visma (and of course Jonas Vinegaard) and a really really bad day for Pogacar. A new rivalry?
NederPAOKtzis

Post by NederPAOKtzis »

Not only a great stage but more so a great strategy to burn Pogacar. In Pogacar's defence I must mention the loss of two teammates with Covid.
PAOK is not a club. PAOK is a cultural phenomenon.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

After the 2 first main stages events (Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico) today we will have the first monument, Milan-Sanremo, for the first time in history not starting in Milan.
Tadej Pogacar just smashed Jonas Vingegaard in Paris-Nice but today the lot of favourites is wider.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Mathieu van der Poel won Milan San Remo, 52 years after his grandfather, Raymond Poulidor.
Filippo Ganna 2nd, Wout van Aert 3rd and Tadej Pogaçar 4th.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Britain's Women's Tour cancelled for 2023 due to lack of funds
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/wo ... d-for-2023
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Another Monument for Mathieu van der Poel, his 4th, 3rd different.
Wout van Aert with lack of luck had another flat tire when it looked he had the win.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

And another classic for Tadej Pogacar: Amstel Gold Race. Will all important classics be conquered by this two ET's?
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

2nd Ardennes Classic, La Fleche Wallone. Guess the winner. He is from Slovenia.
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

The new Eddy merckx
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Tomorrow we can have 2 trebles. Not only Pogacar won Amstel and Fleche but Demi Vollering did the same in women's.

Big favourites to win tomorrow.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Demi Vollering did it. Won Liege-Bastonge-Liege and the Ardennes treble, something that Pogacar won't.
He crashed early in the race and retired.