Portugal won the Eurovision?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

There are countries from the East (Russia), there are countries from the West (Iceland, Portugal) in the Grand final, but the countries from the centre of Europe were wiped out. You can draw a straight line from Croatia in the South (and even Montenegro, if you count countries that did not participate this year), up until Poland in the North.
I watched most of the first semi-final.

Well, it will be a great final as usual! :D :applause:
seso

Post by seso »

Thank you Earl! A great moment of the year, like every year! :grin1:

Interested to see how Greece and Cyprus will do! Pretty girls both of them, with completely different style.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

The fight seems to be between Malta and Italy.
I think the eliminated songs weren't good at all. There are still.some like Spain and Germany but they are big 5 and already in the final.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

I wonder how the split for the semi-finals was made. Semi-final 1 included mostly eastern countries, and semi-final 2 included mostly western countries. Has the Eurovision done regional grouping? ;) :wink:

I heard that San Marino is good this year!
If they win, I think that matt should walk to the Eurovision there next year by foot... :)
matt

Post by matt »

EarlofBug wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 18:06I heard that San Marino is good this year!
If they win, I think that matt should walk to the Eurovision there next year by foot... :)
Ahah, i won't repeat the same mistake with San Marino. A close race at the end between Italy and San Marino tomorrow night would be funny :!:
International break hater
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Because it is held in Holland, they showed a replay of the previous time it was held in Holland, 1976. The time it was still about the songs and not about the performance or the stories of the performers.
I miss those times......
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

EarlofBug wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 18:06 I wonder how the split for the semi-finals was made. Semi-final 1 included mostly eastern countries, and semi-final 2 included mostly western countries. Has the Eurovision done regional grouping? ;) :wink:

I heard that San Marino is good this year!
Its by a draw made in January, but with pots taking account voting patterns (countries that vote always in their neighbour not matter how bad the song is).
https://eurovision.tv/about/in-depth/se ... tion-draw/
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Ricardo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 23:53 Because it is held in Holland, they showed a replay of the previous time it was held in Holland, 1976. The time it was still about the songs and not about the performance or the stories of the performers.
Was it ever like this? I think it's the same, it was always political. The difference is that now you can watch the video clips on the internet. If ever, it's more about the music now than ever.
rpo.castro wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 13:09 Its by a draw made in January, but with pots taking account voting patterns (countries that vote always in their neighbour not matter how bad the song is).
So they didn't do a good job in the semi-finals allocations :) On the 1st semi-final, most the countries were from eastern Europe, while in the 2nd semi-final, most of the countries were from western Europe.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

EarlofBug wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 23:18
Ricardo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 23:53 Because it is held in Holland, they showed a replay of the previous time it was held in Holland, 1976. The time it was still about the songs and not about the performance or the stories of the performers.
Was it ever like this? I think it's the same, it was always political. The difference is that now you can watch the video clips on the internet. If ever, it's more about the music now than ever.
rpo.castro wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 13:09 Its by a draw made in January, but with pots taking account voting patterns (countries that vote always in their neighbour not matter how bad the song is).
So they didn't do a good job in the semi-finals allocations :) On the 1st semi-final, most the countries were from eastern Europe, while in the 2nd semi-final, most of the countries were from western Europe.
I just checked because I only watched the 2nd and its very close.
2nd sf: serbia, albania, bulgaria, Moldova, greece austria, czechia, poland, estonia

1sf russia, azerbaijan, Ukraine, romania, Slovenia, croatia, Macedonia, Lithuania, cyprus

Its half-half.

Good songs tonight. I know Italia is big favourite, although not my kind. Loved Switzerland and Malta. France great song also although not my style (never appreciated Edith Piaff style).
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Italy smashed competition in public vote.
Nice contest for France and Switzerland.

4 countries with 0 points, UK with double 0.

Now all zitti e buoni
matt

Post by matt »

Next year Eurovision will be held in Italy
matt

Post by matt »

Now the fight can start among italian cities (to host this event)
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

matt wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 01:16 Now the fight can start among italian cities (to host this event)
I would say Bergamo, Genoa or Roma! :)
seso

Post by seso »

A good performance by the girls, well done!
seso

Post by seso »

Voting preferences between countries in Eurovision during 1997-2017:

The most important factor seems to be 'vicinity'. Another important factor is religion (Azerbaijan-Turkey-BiH). Another important factor is ethnic group (Finland-Estonia). When there is a combination of all three, then you have: Russia-Ukraine, Belgium-theNetherlands, Denmark-Norway-Sweden etc.