Portugal won the Eurovision?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

This year, Moldova and Bulgaria gave each other 12 points, maybe because Romania wasn't in the final.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

At least, Germany have beaten England 3-0. :banana:
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

0pts.

Why do we even bother with this farce?

I was surprised that there's now some sort of qualifying but we auto-qualified? How, when we always get nothing or next to nothing? What's it based on?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Answering my own question:

In 1999, a rule change allowed the United Kingdom, along with France, Germany and Spain, to automatically qualify for the Eurovision Song Contest final (irrespective of their recent scores and without entering a semi-final), due to being the biggest financial contributors to the EBU.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

EarlofBug wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 23:18
Ricardo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 23:53 Because it is held in Holland, they showed a replay of the previous time it was held in Holland, 1976. The time it was still about the songs and not about the performance or the stories of the performers.
Was it ever like this? I think it's the same, it was always political. The difference is that now you can watch the video clips on the internet. If ever, it's more about the music now than ever.
I am probably too old then.
in 1976 the people getting the award was the songwriter, together with the performer(s). The conductor was important
I remember the shock of the Herrey's. That wasn't the best song, they won because of the nice performance
What about Bucks Fizz. Clear done because of the performance
The masks of hardrock Finland
The lady with the wurst/beard
And so often the stories of the participants are playing a big role for a symphaty vote. How many did Iceland got because of sympathy?
And come on what 'song' has won. I don't even call that music. It's the story behind the song that's won. Commentators said so too. Italy is popular because of the message they give.
I already hardly follow the songcontest anymore. I am interesed in music and always want to know who won. but am disappointed almost every year.

But have fun if you enjoy it.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Ricardo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 23:26
EarlofBug wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 23:18
Ricardo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 23:53 Because it is held in Holland, they showed a replay of the previous time it was held in Holland, 1976. The time it was still about the songs and not about the performance or the stories of the performers.
Was it ever like this? I think it's the same, it was always political. The difference is that now you can watch the video clips on the internet. If ever, it's more about the music now than ever.
I am probably too old then.
in 1976 the people getting the award was the songwriter, together with the performer(s). The conductor was important
I remember the shock of the Herrey's. That wasn't the best song, they won because of the nice performance
What about Bucks Fizz. Clear done because of the performance
The masks of hardrock Finland
The lady with the wurst/beard
And so often the stories of the participants are playing a big role for a symphaty vote. How many did Iceland got because of sympathy?
And come on what 'song' has won. I don't even call that music. It's the story behind the song that's won. Commentators said so too. Italy is popular because of the message they give.
I already hardly follow the songcontest anymore. I am interesed in music and always want to know who won. but am disappointed almost every year.

But have fun if you enjoy it.
I don't know the story behind Italy's song, or whats about, nor was my favourite but they put a good show (both for live and especially tv audience) and the chorus was catchy, which french song (for example) wasn't. It had a more visual impact. Its Eurovision song contest. Not Euroradio or something. Things around song count too, not only in eurovision.

I think this edition was quite good with lots of different songs, different genders, rock, nu metal, pop, romantic, blues/jazz style, tecno, world/folk music, non sense. A bit for every taste. And the same about past winners since the very dance Loreen's Euphoria to Ukraine's Wild Dances or Jamala's 1944, the cool sad from Salvador Sobral to the crazy Netta's Toy, with the very pop Mans Zelmerlow or current world hit from Duncan Laurence. Great diversity and people has a big weight on the choice, and so a vast majority picked Zitti e buoni. People's choice above all.

Gossip says that Ferrari mechanics went to celebrate this victory and forget to check Leclercs left axle.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

I also quite liked this edition due to the interesting mix of genres and staging. And i quite liked that there were so many bands this year, and that several of them made the final and finished in high positions. Generally, I think the show has done several things to improve during the last decade or so. The producer-decided running order means that we will no longer get 4 ballads in a row, or 3 high-energy songs right after each other. There are contrasts from one song to the next, which makes each song stand out more. The re-introduction of the jurys means that we avoid the excesses of the 00es, where the televote-only system meant that there were way too many joke-songs and focus on female dancers with the shortest skirts. Now countries that wants to win need a song which can appeal to both juryes and televotes, plus you can still aim for a quite good position with a song, mostly aimed at juries.

My favourite was Ukraine, which did very well with the televote, but was too much out there for the juryes. Still ended 5th overall. I was sad San Marino didn't end up higher. Of the two top songs, I would probably have preferred France to win. But it was fine with an Italian win. Like rpo.castro says it shows the range of possible winner genres. And I agree about the message/story part of the Italian song. I followed this year quite closely, and have no idea what the Italian song is about, and from what I have seen, very few of the people liking it knew either. It seemed that people supported it for being a great rock song, and the band having a nice energy and stage presence.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

up
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Contest is over already. Only remaining question: will Ukraine get 12 points from all countries or will there be a few exceptions?
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

greenbay wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 21:47 Contest is over already. Only remaining question: will Ukraine get 12 points from all countries or will there be a few exceptions?
Not from serbia
Witkop1983

Post by Witkop1983 »

Will the judges really give that many points to Ukraine? Or will it be more from the televotes?

They will not get 12 points from everyone as there are some "couples" that give eachother 12 points every time (like Cyprus-Greece)
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

UK is favoured to win the jury vote according to the bookies, but they actually have Ukraine as 2nd favourites for that. Would be surprised if Ukraine really did that well with juries, but that expectation helps explain why the bookies have it as such a large favourite. Juryes are humans as well, I guess, so maybe it will happen. I just think there are so many outstanding vocal performances which would normally appeal stronger to juries, that I think juries could easily 'explain' only putting Ukraine 8 to 12th in their ranking.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

There were some nice performances in the 2nd semi-finals, like Ireland, Malta, Israel and North Macedonia, that didn't progress to the finals, but some poorer shows advanced :(
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Ukraine was among favourites before the start of the war so they should have a good jury vote.