UEFA Euro 2024

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
matt

Post by matt »

When is the draw for EURO 2028?
International break hater
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

Michael S Collins wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:14 As I feel I said the last two tournaments, Norway have so much emerging talent you feel they'll qualify for something soon. Ahem.

Still annoyed by the Spain/Scotland game called off due to rain 20 odd years ago because it was 1-1 and Scotland were looking likely for a winner. Just a friendly but that one result could have given the team confidence for years.

I'm also not taking my eyes off Cyprus and Georgia. The latter due to history, the former because they are the sort of team who can give Scotland a black eye.

Terrible draw. Not as bad as the one the poor Irish got though.
Georgia has a good generation now. Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, sensation from Napoli, is obviously their main man but its not only about him there are other interesting players.
matt

Post by matt »

Group G, H and I are among the easiest ones i have ever seen for a World Cup or EURO qualifiers in Europe.
International break hater
THEPOSH

Post by THEPOSH »

matt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:26 Group G, H and I are among the easiest ones i have ever seen for a World Cup or EURO qualifiers in Europe.
We're reaping the benefits of moving to pot 1 status :-)
This should be an easy qualifier for Denmark.
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

matt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:26 Group G and H are among the easiest ones i have ever seen for a World Cup or EURO qualifiers in Europe.
Group E is easier than H, in E you have 3 average teams, In H you have also 3 average teams +1 top team (Denmark) :D
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Fixtures? Cooperation between the nations in the groups? Or will UEFA put it together?
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Ed wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:40 Seeding of the draw of the final tournament is based on the performance of teams in the qualification groups (minus against sixth placed teams), ordered by group position, points, GD etc.
Only this quali? So if Hungary wanted to be a top seed at the final tourney they'll not only have to win the group but also finish among the best six first placed nations?
Last edited by wannabeontop on Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

wannabeontop wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:38
Ed wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:40 Seeding of the draw of the final tournament is based on the performance of teams in the qualification groups (minus against sixth placed teams), ordered by group position, points, GD etc.
Only this quali? So if Hungary wanted to be a top seed at the final tourney they'll not only have to win the group but also finish among the best six first placed nations?
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Looking at the rest of the draw, at least it looks good for England to get a playoff if they fail. All the pot 1 teams who might have been seen as weaker got kind draws. So it seems unlikely 4 of the top 14 will fail.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Yes. But top 5 because Germany get auto top pot.
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Lorric wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:42
Most likely Spain, Croatia, Belgium and Portugal will take up 4 of those 5 spots so not very realistic to say the least. The best we could hope for is pot 2 for Hungary. Thanks for the answer.

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

wannabeontop wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:57
Lorric wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:42

Most likely Spain, Croatia, Belgium and Portugal will take up 4 of those 5 spots so not very realistic to say the least. The best we could hope for is pot 2 for Hungary. Thanks for the answer.
You're welcome.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Group A : Spain will cruise to the finals, a duel between Scotland and Norway for 2nd place. Norway has ANOTHER chance to make it to a big tournament, against a beatable opponent. But they are perfectly capable to waste it again. Georgia will cause damage to someone, but I don't think they can be 2nd. Cyprus is in a very difficult Group unfortunately. I am afraid they won't win a single match.

Group B : Not much to say here, Netherlands and France will be the top 2. Very bad draw for Greece, the opportunity will be via the Nations League play-offs. Ireland I expect to be rather unremarkable, Gibrlatar will probably end with zero points.

Group C : The Group of Death! Italy and England meet again, and Ukraine from pot 3 makes the Group tricky for the two big names. Italy won't be caught sleeping this time against North Macedonia, and Malta must be banging their heads against the wall with this Group. Can Ukraine cause an upset? Maybe, but they will have the Nations League second chance if they don't.

Group D : A very weak Group. Croatia will have no issues, and Wales are favourites for 2nd. Could one of Armenia or Turkey upset them? I'd like to see Armenia in the Euros, while Turkey finishing 2nd will be beneficial for Greece (via Nations League) - hence I'm rooting against the Welsh in this Group. Latvia is together with Turkey again!

Group E : Poland and Czechia must be smiling. A dream draw, which will send both of them to the Euro. I suspect the Faroe can get 3rd here, Albania is really bad under their last coach.

Group F : A straightforward Group. Belgium 1st, a duel between Austria and Sweden for 2nd, Azerbaijan and Estonia won't play a role. Worth noting that Sweden won't have a 2nd chance if they fail here.

Group G : Serbia and Hungary are the firm favourites here. Neither Montenegro nor Bulgaria have shown at any point recently that they are even close to the same level, while Lithuania is a terrible team.

Group H : A very interesting Group. Denmark will have no problems, but the 2nd spot is up for grabs. Slight advantage for Finland, but Slovenia and even Kazakhstan can hope!

Group I : Now or never for Israel, there won't be a better chance to make it to a Euro! Switzerland will be 1st, and Romania is not particulary strong or reliable, the Israelis have everything in their favour this time. Andorra will not end with zero points, they will get something from Belarus.

Group J : Portugal was lucky, but there will be a battle for 2nd place. The eternally choking Bosnia in Euro Qualifiers faces a falling Iceland, a rising Luxembourg and the disappointing Slovakia. For me it's a 4-team battle for 2nd.
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

Firnen wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 14:43 Group A : Spain will cruise to the finals, a duel between Scotland and Norway for 2nd place. Norway has ANOTHER chance to make it to a big tournament, against a beatable opponent. But they are perfectly capable to waste it again. Georgia will cause damage to someone, but I don't think they can be 2nd. Cyprus is in a very difficult Group unfortunately. I am afraid they won't win a single match.

Group B : Not much to say here, Netherlands and France will be the top 2. Very bad draw for Greece, the opportunity will be via the Nations League play-offs. Ireland I expect to be rather unremarkable, Gibrlatar will probably end with zero points.

Group C : The Group of Death! Italy and England meet again, and Ukraine from pot 3 makes the Group tricky for the two big names. Italy won't be caught sleeping this time against North Macedonia, and Malta must be banging their heads against the wall with this Group. Can Ukraine cause an upset? Maybe, but they will have the Nations League second chance if they don't.

Group D : A very weak Group. Croatia will have no issues, and Wales are favourites for 2nd. Could one of Armenia or Turkey upset them? I'd like to see Armenia in the Euros, while Turkey finishing 2nd will be beneficial for Greece (via Nations League) - hence I'm rooting against the Welsh in this Group. Latvia is together with Turkey again!

Group E : Poland and Czechia must be smiling. A dream draw, which will send both of them to the Euro. I suspect the Faroe can get 3rd here, Albania is really bad under their last coach.

Group F : A straightforward Group. Belgium 1st, a duel between Austria and Sweden for 2nd, Azerbaijan and Estonia won't play a role. Worth noting that Sweden won't have a 2nd chance if they fail here.

Group G : Serbia and Hungary are the firm favourites here. Neither Montenegro nor Bulgaria have shown at any point recently that they are even close to the same level, while Lithuania is a terrible team.

Group H : A very interesting Group. Denmark will have no problems, but the 2nd spot is up for grabs. Slight advantage for Finland, but Slovenia and even Kazakhstan can hope!

Group I : Now or never for Israel, there won't be a better chance to make it to a Euro! Switzerland will be 1st, and Romania is not particulary strong or reliable, the Israelis have everything in their favour this time. Andorra will not end with zero points, they will get something from Belarus.

Group J : Portugal was lucky, but there will be a battle for 2nd place. The eternally choking Bosnia in Euro Qualifiers faces a falling Iceland, a rising Luxembourg and the disappointing Slovakia. For me it's a 4-team battle for 2nd.
Agree in general with your assessments just think that Albania will challenge Poland and Czech rep, Broja is a big talent they never had such striker. And in the Danish group I think Slovenia, Finland and Northern Ireland are in a 3-way battle for second place. Don't believe in Kazahstan despite their Nations League success, their squad is very weak.
Todor

Post by Todor »

You have to qualify first :).