UEFA Euro 2024

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
matt

Post by matt »

Jua Ferreira wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 19:42 EUROs are always better than WCs, even with 24 teams
I'm not sure. MD1 of World Cup 2022 delivered unexpected results, such as Saudi Arabia - Argentina or Japan - Germany, or almost (Belgium - Canada and Senegal - The Netherlands).
So far MD1 of EURO 2024 is really dull, results-wise. Far from the best advertisement for an expanded tournament.
International break hater
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Romania - Ukraine in Munich
The "smallest" game of the EURO so far, Ukraine favorites. 1-2.

Belgium - Slovakia in Frankfurt
The Red Devils looked good unter Tedesco, Slovakia probably in the fight for the 3rd place against Romania. 3-0.

Austria - France in Düsseldorf
Looking forward to this. The Austrians came with high ambitions and their development under Rangnick is very good. Players like Sabitzer and Laimer gained more experience on top level now. France of course the favorite, maybe top fav for the title. But they have to fight in their opener. 1-2.
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

I suspect that the performances of the favourites so far on MD1 won't be indicative of their overall tournament performances.
offside

Post by offside »

Tazmania wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 23:58I suspect that the performances of the favourites so far on MD1 won't be indicative of their overall tournament performances.
From my memories: in the last World Cup Argentina lost the opening match against Saudi Arabia, and then won the trophy; in the 2010 World Cup Spain lost the opening match versus Switzerland, qualified safely first in the group only because Switzerland wasn't able to defeat Honduras, and then won the trophy; Italy started really bad in both 1982 and 1994 World Cups, but won the trophy in 1982 and reached the final in 1994; and so on...

So yes, performances in the opening match are not always indicative of what a team will achieve at the end of these tournaments: the most important thing is to perform the best later in the KO phase, where there is not a second chance; this is especially true when 16 out of 24 teams qualifies from the GS to the KO phase, like in this EURO.

However, all that being said, I guess that it still better to start with a victory rather than with a loss! :grin1:
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

National teams that start with high wins like Germany and Spain have already almost secured the Round of 16. Even if they lose the next two games by minimal scores and finish third in the group, they would have over 90% chances to pass the group due to 3 points and a positive goal difference. :dontknow:
offside

Post by offside »

I just watched Belgium - Slovakia: very balanced game which could finish with any result.

In the end it was a victory for Slovakia: deserved, congrats! :clapping:

Belgium was quite unlucky: two goals by Lukaku were denied by VAR (an offside of centimeters and a soft handball by the player who made the assist), and a shot was saved on the goal line by a Slovakian defender. :fingal:

With this result, and the other earlier this afternoon, the first place in this group is very unpredictable now: Romania 3, Slovakia 3, Belgium 0, Ukraine 0. The next matches are: Slovakia - Ukraine; Belgium - Romania.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

I thought Belgium - Slovakia should be the most one-sided game so far, what a shocker. The (clear!) Romania win was also a big surprise.

Only two games this time, for one day:

Turkey - Georgia in Dortmund
Fan advantage for the Turkish team, Georgia has nothing to lose, lets see what they can show with Kvaradona. 2-1.

Portugal - Czechia in Leipzig
Portugal won 1-0 in the QF 2012 and 3-1 in the group stage match 2008. This time I'd say... 2-1.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Good predictions !
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Croatia - Albania in Hamburg
Huge pressure for the Croats, with another defeat they are probably out because of the goal difference. Even a draw would be disappointing against the easiest opponent and with one game against a decent Italy left. So they have to win and I think they are good enough to do it. 2-0.

Germany - Hungary in Stuttgart
Hungary was a hard opponent for us at the previous EURO, a late Goretzka goal prevented us from losing to them in Munich. This time I think Germany are better than before and Hungary not as good as three years ago, but I still think they will give us a hard time, for sure a harder time than Scotland did. 2-1.

Scotland - Switzerland in Cologne
I wish Scotland a better performance, the fans deserve it. Switzerland should win, but I hope it's a close match. 1-3 (the decisive third goal late in the game).

Lyonnais wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 23:10 Good predictions !
Finally, after some bad ones. :wink:
amenina

Post by amenina »

In the first round, 34 goals were scored, an average of 2.83 goals per match.

Five teams have yet to score: Croatia, Serbia, Ukraine, Belgium (thanks to two goals disallowed by VAR), Austria (though they did score an own goal).

Scotland and France have scored only thanks to their opponents. Portugal also had one of their two goals scored by their opponents.

So "own goals" have a clear lead in the top scorer table, with 3. There are no players with 2 goals, and 31 players with 1 goal.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Given how good the Swiss looked against Hungary and that we appear to have the white flag up, I expect a one sided drubbing tonight.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Based on the group rankings after the 1st game, the R16 would look like this

ESP v CZE
GER v DEN
---
POR v ALB
FRA v SVK
------
ROM v SLO
NED v TUR
---
ENG v POL
SUI v ITA
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
sinskras

Post by sinskras »

Lyonnais wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:43 Based on the group rankings after the 1st game, the R16 would look like this

ESP v CZE
GER v DEN
---
POR v ALB
FRA v SVK
------
ROM v SLO
NED v TUR
---
ENG v POL
SUI v ITA
Turkey is 1st and Portugal 2nd in group F, so these 2 other way around.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Vincic in Spain v Italy, Taylor in Netherlands v France...there are good referees in this tournament but UEFA is promoting the mediocre ones.
amenina

Post by amenina »

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/028e ... the-match/

Every EURO 2024 Player of the Match

Matchday 1

14/06: Germany 5-1 Scotland – Jamal Musiala
15/06: Hungary 1-3 Switzerland – Granit Xhaka
15/06: Spain 3-0 Croatia – Fabián Ruiz
15/06: Italy 2-1 Albania – Federico Chiesa
16/06: Poland 1-2 Netherlands – Cody Gakpo
16/06: Slovenia 1-1 Denmark – Christian Eriksen
16/06: Serbia 0-1 England – Jude Bellingham
17/06: Romania 3-0 Ukraine – Nicolae Stanciu
17/06: Belgium 0-1 Slovakia – Stanislav Lobotka
17/06: Austria 0-1 France – N'Golo Kanté
18/06: Türkiye 3-1 Georgia – Arda Güler
18/06: Portugal 2-1 Czechia – Vitinha

Two players each from the leagues of England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Saudi Arabia.