English Football 2022/23

Domestic league and cup football
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Oldelpaso wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 07:59 Kane becoming Spurs' all time top goalscorer illustrates the food chain nature of the modern game. It means five of the "Big Six" have an all time top goalscorer who was active this century (Kane, Henry, Rooney, Aguero, Lampard). The only other club for whom this is true is Newcastle, who in their previous moneyed phase signed Alan Shearer for a world record fee in 1996. Anyone else with a promising goalscorer has them gobbled up by a bigger fish. Sometimes they become a key player like Rooney or Mane, more often they become a spare part like Rickie Lambert or Wilfred Bony.
Though it's Kane's highly unusual loyalty that stopped him being picked up by a bigger fish himself.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Nottingham - MU 0:3, surely United in the final and play probably Newcastle.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Actually Jimmy Greaves scored 268 goals for Tottenham, so Kane has some more work to do. And Greaves scored these 268 goals in 379 matches, while Kane scored 266 in 415 matches. Quite a difference.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Oldelpaso wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 16:25 they might have been better off employing Sean Dyche than Frank Lampard. At least he's a man with a plan.
Everton apparently read my season preview, as they are set to appoint Dyche.
No to Superleague
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

City picked their A team and Arsenal a Europa League style team.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

There's no question Arsenal still want to win though. They've started strong.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

0-0 HT. Arsenal look like the home team A team playing the opposition's weakened team. They're playing at a considerably higher tempo than City, winning most of the exchanges, and have had some good chances.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

But it is City who score first, hit the post, and an unlikely scorer in Ake with a great finish from a tight angle into the netting behind the post.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

No Arsenal comeback this time, it was a good game and I was hoping for a draw so I could see them play another game, but the victory is City's.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Lorric wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 22:57 No Arsenal comeback this time, it was a good game and I was hoping for a draw so I could see them play another game, but the victory is City's.
They meet in two and a half weeks anyway, the league match at the Emirates is on the 15th.

Arsenal started like a train, all the more impressive for doing so when changing half the team. That level of intensity was never going to be possible to sustain for a full 90, and as the game progressed City came into it more and more. On anothrr day Arsenal could easily have made the first half bearkthrougb and gone on to win. Their front foot approach makes a nice change from the low block 90% of the visitors to the Etihad employ.
No to Superleague
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Oldelpaso wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 23:22
Lorric wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 22:57 No Arsenal comeback this time, it was a good game and I was hoping for a draw so I could see them play another game, but the victory is City's.
They meet in two and a half weeks anyway, the league match at the Emirates is on the 15th.

Arsenal started like a train, all the more impressive for doing so when changing half the team. That level of intensity was never going to be possible to sustain for a full 90, and as the game progressed City came into it more and more. On anothrr day Arsenal could easily have made the first half bearkthrougb and gone on to win. Their front foot approach makes a nice change from the low block 90% of the visitors to the Etihad employ.
That just made me want it more, 3 games in a short space of time.

I was actually surprised they couldn't keep it going, or at least a good amount of it going, because they had a bench full of first teamers and they used them. But no, they dropped off and City were able to take advantage and had little trouble seeing the game out.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Fulham - Sunderland 1:1, a very good cup game, a draw was the least Sunderland deserved, played very well in front of 5,500 traveling fans.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Seems like an off weekend for me in terms of english football with this cup :D
I hope MU dont invest much strength later on in their match. Still not gonna watch it though :grin1:
matt

Post by matt »

My theory of teams wanting to avoid draws in the FA Cup get a clear rebuff: 5 draws in the afternoon slot out of 7 games.
International break hater
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Lorric wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 13:53
Oldelpaso wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 23:22

That just made me want it more, 3 games in a short space of time.

I was actually surprised they couldn't keep it going, or at least a good amount of it going, because they had a bench full of first teamers and they used them. But no, they dropped off and City were able to take advantage and had little trouble seeing the game out.
Sometimes a North American style best of 7 series seems like an appealing idea.

Two things were particularly noticeable about how Arsenal set up. Out of possession they were highly aggressive, going man to man really high up the pitch. In possession they primarily attacked down the left, trying to use Trossard and Tierney to expose 18 year old Rico Lewis. These two things meant Tierney was barely in his own half. It was really successful in stopping the City midfielders building anything, and meant play went back to Ortega all the time. He kept hitting long towards Haaland due to a lack of options. Low percentage, but with so many Arsenal players up high could put Haaland in a 1 v 1 battle with Holding. A risk Arsenal had to take. Trouble is this needs every single player to track their man tightly and is very tiring.

In any match you only get a half to use a novel tactic, as adjustments will be made at half time. Arsenal had their own half time adjustment to do too, albeit like for like. Once Holding was booked he was a red card waiting to happen. City's tactical change, bringing on Walker and Alvarez on the right, let them break free a bit. Walker could be used for the out ball more than Lewis (his pace was also handy once Martinelli inevitably came on).The Arsenal attacking changes were more chasing the game as they only came at 1-0. The momentum had gone already.

The constant tactical adjustment makes these clashes compelling. Its not the 4D chess some would make it out to be, but there's a lot of move and counter move. Will Arsenal go man for man next time? It worked against Grealish and Mahrez, but what if it were Bernardo Silva and Foden, more adept at receiving the ball in tight spaces? What impact would Odegaard starting make? Looking forward to the next installment.
No to Superleague