2026 World Cup

World Cup 2026, Euro 2028, etc.
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

diyx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 09:42 I can imagine them being more flexible about the 3 rest days between the group stage and round of 32, because only 2 rest days happened quite a lot in previous tournaments. Moreover, they can arrange matches that involve a third placed team from groups A - E on or B - F on June 29, because at least one of them will certainly be qualified for R32.
Fifa's public announcement already said clearly that 103 out of 104 matches will have full 3 days rest for both teams, so I don't think they will adjust that later and force some 3rd place teams to have only 2 days rest.

The exception is the Bronze Final for which the loser of SF2 will only have 2 days rest, but as this is more like a friendly it's not so important.
Matt7r

Post by Matt7r »

There would be three days rest. The first 6 groups play on Wednesday and Thursday with matches 2-4 of Last 32 on the following Monday. The single match on the Sunday could be played (say) between two of the runners up from the groups which complete on the Wednesday.
diyx

Post by diyx »

amenina wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:03
diyx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 09:42
MartinW wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 08:05
I agree it's not ideal to split into two halves, but I think it is almost certain this will happen. The R32 will have 8 clear matches (1st v 2nd or 2nd v 2nd) plus 8 matches (1st v 3rd) which can't be worked out until the 3rd place rankings are known.

If we need to wait until after the last group matches are played on 27 Jun to work out the full 3rd place ranking of all 12 groups, then it means any R32 match including a 3rd place team can't be arranged until 1 Jul, to allow full three days rest.

In turn that would mean the seven R32 matches on 28/29/30 Jun must be 7 from 8 of the already known fixtures. But that would require some of the teams which played on 27 Jun from groups J/K/L to play again on 30 Jun which doesn't allow three days rest.

Therefore, if the 3rd place ranking is across all 12 groups, it is impossible to arrange the schedule based on the restrictions already announced by Fifa for three days rest. So almost certainly they will have to sub-divide and take best the four 3rd places from each of groups A-F and groups G-L.
From the rest days perspective I get the point, but this would definitely weeken the integrity of the competition enormously. I'm certain big discussions about the format would arise after the group stage.

I can imagine them being more flexible about the 3 rest days between the group stage and round of 32, because only 2 rest days happened quite a lot in previous tournaments. Moreover, they can arrange matches that involve a third placed team from groups A - E on or B - F on June 29, because at least one of them will certainly be qualified for R32.
Yes I think a possible solution is this:

1. After the matches of 25 June are played, six groups are finished, and we know the ranking of six third-placed teams. The top two of those six are guaranteed to play in the knockout stage. So those two teams are assigned to play a group winner, on or after 29 June, guaranteeing at least three rest days.

2. After the matches of 26 June are played, nine groups are finished, and excluding the two third-placed teams already assigned to play a group winner, we know the ranking of seven third-placed teams. The top three of those seven are guaranteed to play in the knockout stage. So those three teams are assigned to play a group winner, on or after 30 June, guaranteeing at least three rest days.

3. After the matches of 27 June are played, all twelve groups are finished, and excluding the five third-placed teams already assigned to play a group winner, we know the ranking of seven third-placed teams. The top three of those seven are guaranteed to play in the knockout stage. So those three teams are assigned to play a group winner, on or after 1 July, guaranteeing at least three rest days.
This must be the way. Therefore, up to 5 third placed teams can play until and including June 30, giving enough freedom to arrange the remaining matches.
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

amenina wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 09:58
Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 09:53
amenina wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 09:42

Appears so. FIFA wants to assign teams to play at certain venues, for example Argentina and/or Brazil to Miami. So this will be done after the draw.
But R32 pairings known before then?
The KO pairings are part of the regulations, so it will be known when the regulations are officially approved, almost certainly before the final tournament draw, since the draw procedure itself is part of the regulations.
Well...they'd better be out before then otherwise it would be open to corruption but of course FIFA would never do anything corrupt :banana:
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Match 73 played in LA sunday 28th june I think this match must be with 2 Nations finished on wednesday this week. It is 3 groups finished this day. The group of Mexico, the group of Canada and A group played in Atlanta/Miami.
So this match in LA played on sunday must be between A nation from Atlanta/Miami and a nation from Canada’s group. Because the second match in Canada’s group will be played in Seattle?
Jackson Harrison

So Guadalajara is the only city that doesn't get any Knockout matches 😞?
Jackson Harrison

Korgutt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:21 Match 73 played in LA sunday 28th june I think this match must be with 2 Nations finished on wednesday this week. It is 3 groups finished this day. The group of Mexico, the group of Canada and A group played in Atlanta/Miami.
So this match in LA played on sunday must be between A nation from Atlanta/Miami and a nation from Canada’s group. Because the second match in Canada’s group will be played in Seattle?
Aren't Canada and Mexico groups played in their own country in their entirety.

Also @amenina when do you expect regulations to come out?
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:37
Korgutt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:21 Match 73 played in LA sunday 28th june I think this match must be with 2 Nations finished on wednesday this week. It is 3 groups finished this day. The group of Mexico, the group of Canada and A group played in Atlanta/Miami.

Match 49 and Match 50 are the first matches in Matchday 3. These matches are played in Miami and Atlanta.
Match 51 and Match 52 are the group of Canada. Match 51 is Canada match i Vancouver and Match 52 will be played in Seattle at the same time. This have to be the same group as Canada.
Match 53 and Match 54 will be the 2 matches in Mexico group. Match 53 is Mexico match i Mexico City and Match 54 will be played in Monterrey.
So in my head the 2 matches of Canada group will be played in 2 different countries. Matchday 3 I am talking about. Not Matchday 1 and 2.
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

MATCHDAY 3:
The first day of Matchday 3 will be with Match 49- Match 54. The second day Match 55-Match 60. The third day Match 61- Match 66. And the last day Match 67- Match 72.
MATCH 49 and MATCH 50: Miami and Atlanta.
MATCH 51 and MATCH 52: Vancouver and Seattle
MATCH 53 and MATCH 54: Mexico City and Monterrey.
MATCH 55 and MATCH 56: Philadelphia and New York Jersey.
MATCH 57 and MATCH 58: Dallas and Kansas City
MATCH 59 and MATCH 60: Los Angeles and San Francisco
MATCH 61 and MATCH 62: Boston and Toronto
MATCH 63 and MATCH 64: Seattle and Vancouver
MATCH 65 and MATCH 66: Houston and Guadalajara.
MATCH 67 and MATCH 68: New York Jersey and Philadelphia
MATCH 69 and MATCH 70: Kansas City and Dallas
MATCH 71 and MATCH 72: Miami and Atlanta.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Korgutt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:55

Match 49 and Match 50 are the first matches in Matchday 3. These matches are played in Miami and Atlanta.
Match 51 and Match 52 are the group of Canada. Match 51 is Canada match i Vancouver and Match 52 will be played in Seattle at the same time. This have to be the same group as Canada.
Match 53 and Match 54 will be the 2 matches in Mexico group. Match 53 is Mexico match i Mexico City and Match 54 will be played in Monterrey.
So in my head the 2 matches of Canada group will be played in 2 different countries. Matchday 3 I am talking about. Not Matchday 1 and 2.
I think that it’s safe to assume that Canada group will be in the West with the exception of the first game in Toronto. After that game both teams will travel and stay in the west coast. If the first and second games are all in Canada, there will be significant travel for the team that plays the first game in Vancouver and the second in Toronto (they will have to fly back to Vancouver to play Canada in the 3rd game).
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Sagy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 19:34

I think that it’s safe to assume that Canada group will be in the West with the exception of the first game in Toronto. After that game both teams will travel and stay in the west coast. If the first and second games are all in Canada, there will be significant travel for the team that plays the first game in Vancouver and the second in Toronto (they will have to fly back to Vancouver to play Canada in the 3rd game).
My opinion.
MATCHDAY 3: Canada will play this match in Vancouver wednesday 24th june. The second match in this Group will play in Seattle. This day it will be 6 matches. 2 in Mexico and 2 in Atlanta/Miami. Sunday afteron there will be 1 match in LA in round of 32. This match in LA must have 2 Nations from this wednesday. My opinion is that 1 nation will come from either Atlanta or Miami and 1 nation either from Group of Canada or Group of Mexico. And I think that Seattle and LA are in the western part of USA and will come from this group.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Korgutt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 19:46

My opinion.
MATCHDAY 3: Canada will play this match in Vancouver wednesday 24th june. The second match in this Group will play in Seattle. This day it will be 6 matches. 2 in Mexico and 2 in Atlanta/Miami. Sunday afteron there will be 1 match in LA in round of 32. This match in LA must have 2 Nations from this wednesday. My opinion is that 1 nation will come from either Atlanta or Miami and 1 nation either from Group of Canada or Group of Mexico. And I think that Seattle and LA are in the western part of USA and will come from this group.
Looks like:

Canada's group
Matchday 1: M3, 12 June at Toronto; M6, 13 June at Vancouver
Matchday 2: M26, 18 June at Los Angeles; M27, 18 June at Vancouver
Matchday 3: M51, 24 June at Vancouver; M52, 24 June at Seattle

Mexico's group
Matchday 1: M1, 11 June at Mexico City; M2, 11 June at Guadalajara
Matchday 2: M25, 18 June at Atlanta; M26, 18 June at Mexico City
Matchday 3: M53, 24 June at Mexico City; M54, 24 June at Guadalajara

USA's group
Matchday 1: M4, 12 June at Los Angeles; M8, 13 June at San Francisco Bay Area
Matchday 2: M31, 19 June at San Francisco Bay Area; M32, 19 June at Seattle
Matchday 3: M59, 25 June at Los Angeles; M60, 25 June at San Francisco Bay Area

Group B or C (non-host seeded team)
Matchday 1: M5, 13 June at Boston; M7, 13 June at New York New Jersey
Matchday 2: M29, 19 June at Philadelphia; M30, 19 June at Boston
Matchday 3; M49, 24 June at Miami; M50, 24 June at Atlanta
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

amenina wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 20:06
My opinion.
Looks like:

Canada's group

Mexico's group

USA's group

Agreed.

Since match 73 is in LA. I think that it will be between teams from Mexico’s group (probably group A) and Canada’s group (probably group B). I’m guessing that teams from the Mia/Atl group (probably group C) will not be sent to LA on a 3 days rest. If this is correct, US will be assigned to group D.
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Sagy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 20:18
amenina wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 20:06
My opinion.
Looks like:

Canada's group

Mexico's group

USA's group

Agreed.

Since match 73 is in LA. I think that it will be between teams from Mexico’s group (probably group A) and Canada’s group (probably group B). I’m guessing that teams from the Mia/Atl group (probably group C) will not be sent to LA on a 3 days rest. If this is correct, US will be assigned to group D.
After thinking twice I agree with you. But this here is interesting. Match 74 in Boston on monday from where will 2 nations come from? And same day there will be 2 matches in Mexico called M75 og M76. Will Mexico join 1 of this match?
amenina

Post by amenina »

Groups E and F should have their matches played on 14, 20 and 25 June. These are the possible matches.

Matchday 1 (14 June): M9 at Philadelphia, M10 at Houston, M11 at Dallas, M12 at Monterrey
Matchday 2 (20 June): M33 at Toronto, M34 at Kansas City, M35 at Houston, M36 at Monterrey
Matchday 3 (25 June): M55 at Philadelphia, M56 at New York New Jersey, M57 at Dallas, M58 at Kansas City

Not 100% certain how they will assign the stadiums to each group, but I suppose M9, M10, M33, M34, M55, M56 for one group, and M11, M12, M35, M36, M57, M58 for another group.

Groups G and H should have their matches played on 15, 21 and 26 June. The assignments below seem logical.

Matchday 1 (15 June): M13 at Miami, M14 at Atlanta
Matchday 2 (21 June): M37 at Miami, M38 at Atlanta
Matchday 3 (26 June): M61 at Boston, M62 at Toronto

Matchday 1 (15 June): M15 at Los Angeles, M16 at Seattle
Matchday 2 (21 June): M39 at Los Angeles, M40 at Vancouver
Matchday 3 (26 June): M63 at Seattle, M64 at Vancouver

Group I should have their matches played on 16, 22 and 26 June. The following assignment seems logical.

Matchday 1 (16 June): M19 at Kansas City, M20 at San Francisco Bay Area
Matchday 2 (22 June): M43 at Dallas, M44 at San Francisco bay Area
Matchday 3 (26 June): M65 at Houston, M66 at Guadalajara

Group J should have their matches played on 16, 22 and 27 June. The following assignment seems logical.
Matchday 1 (16 June): M17 at New York New Jersey, M18 at Boston
Matchday 2 (22 June): M41 at New York New Jersey, M42 at Philadelphia
Matchday 3 (27 June): M67 at New York New Jersey, M68 at Philadelphia (although M71 and M72 are also possible)

Groups K and L should have their matches played on 17, 23 and 27 June. These are the possible matches.

Matchday 1 (17 June): M21 at Toronto, M22 at Dallas, M23 at Houston, M24 at Mexico City
Matchday 2 (23 June): M45 at Boston, M46 at Toronto, M47 at Houston, M48 at Guadalajara
Matchday 3 (27 June): M69 at Kansas City, M70 at Dallas, M71 at Miami, M72 at Atlanta (although M67 and M68 are also possible)

Hmmm, I guess M21, M22, M45, M46, M71, M72 in one group, and M23, M24, M47, M48, M69, M70 in another group? Interestingly, M24 is the only non-Mexico group match hosted at the Azteca, I guess FIFA will try to get a high profile team to play there, preferably Argentina or Brazil just for the nostalgia factor.