2022/2023 CL (and UYL) Group E: Milan - Chelsea - Salzburg - Dinamo Zagreb

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Well you should have brought up that you refer to domestic matches too. I still dont agree if they are excluded though after taking into consideration that their group from last year screams more EL than CL to me. If they were in Inters place this year or in a similar group last year then yes fairplay. Maybe i have much higher standards for RBS and dont give them much credit for winning against Brondby Wolfsburg Lille and DZ.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

... but rather not losing to Bayern, Chelsea and Milan. Well this is again onesighted and rather cheapening. The devil is found in detail. Only just 3 players from Salzburg team vs Villarreal in Feb 2021 are playing presently. This year's and esp. last years team is better. They almost beat Bayern in a R 16 match.
Anyway if a club like Chelsea with multibillion transfers can't beat a U22 team (22,5 yrs average age including 36 yrs old Ulmer last match) then something runs in the wrong direction.
Salzburg v Chelsea 4.20 3.80 1.80
if I do the correct math there is a 50% chance that RBS won't loose this match against this London powerhouse. They must have done something good in past to get so much credit.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

On sofascore, Dinamo's average rating against Salzburg is 6,87. All players are rated from 6,8 to 7,6, except for three players from the first team, who significantly break the average. They are goalkeeper Livaković 6,6, who conceded a goal in the middle of the goal, offensive midfielder Ivanušec 6,5, who passed the ball to the Austrians when they played a counterattack and scored a goal, and the worst player on the field, center forward Bruno Petković with a rating of 6,4, he was worst rated also in Salzburg with 6,4.
Instead of coach Čačić taking out Petković and Ivanušec and putting in a fresh midfielder and a striker, he takes out Ademi and puts in a striker. He creates a hole in the middle of the field where the Austrians receive the ball undisturbed and start lightning counterattacks. Only luck saved Dinamo from defeat. The idiot on the bench forcing the two worst players eliminated Dinamo from the CL. The worst thing is that we can expect those two in the Croatian national team at the WC in Qatar. The problem is that it is not the best who play, but the most suitable, those who need to be sold! :mol:
It's a pity for Dinamo because they really have the strongest playing staff in the last 20 or so years, but they were managed disastrously. :sigh:
Todor

Post by Todor »

Bulgarian wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 21:06 Our team CSKA Sofia’s last loss on their stadium in Europe is in 2005 to Hamburger 0-1 so maybe thats a fortress? Of course if they reach a certain point in their european adventure they switch stadiums but thats besides the point here :grin1: :grin1:
:rollfloor: This was very good!
They also change the team playing there, but that's also besides the point. :grin1: :wink:
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Club-Mate wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 09:00 ... but rather not losing to Bayern, Chelsea and Milan. Well this is again onesighted and rather cheapening. The devil is found in detail. Only just 3 players from Salzburg team vs Villarreal in Feb 2021 are playing presently. This year's and esp. last years team is better. They almost beat Bayern in a R 16 match.
Dont get me wrong i am not trying to diminish RBSs success quite the opposite actually. I tend to not like clubs such as RBS who pumped big ammounts of money all of a sudden that got them to a certain level but unlike other clubs who artificially rose up i like and respect RBS because they invest in young players and develop them.
The Austrian league though like the Croatian is basically a one horse league RBS is clearly above everyone else and saying they have built a fortress based also on their domestic results is just stating the obvious a.k.a water is wet/fire is hot :grin1:
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

ok thanks @Bulgarian!
perfect infrastructure a good management/network and a specific suitable strategy tailored to their needs and possibilities are the keyfactors of this club.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

RB Salzburg is an excellently organized and managed club. They have the strongest U22 selection in the world. :applause: It's fantastic how these kids play. Each of these kids will be sold for tens of millions of euros, and it is surprising what maturity and quality such a young team shows. Salzburg should be congratulated on that! A unique club in the world for everyone to admire! I wish them to win the CL title! :D
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

babaluj1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 15:28 RB Salzburg is an excellently organized and managed club. They have the strongest U22 selection in the world. :applause: It's fantastic how these kids play. Each of these kids will be sold for tens of millions of euros, and it is surprising what maturity and quality such a young team shows. Salzburg should be congratulated on that! A unique club in the world for everyone to admire! I wish them to win the CL title! :D
these are very friendly and authentic words! :applause:
If you do not mind I would send this to their club office. They won't get such praise every day and will be very pleased for sure. They should cut it out frame it and put it in one of their cabin rooms or in office. If I were in charge I would send you a VIP ticket for a special CL match. Maybe they'll do something.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

...and similar but not so detailed words Sevilla coach Lapetegui said after the match in Sevilla.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

Club-Mate wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:25
babaluj1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 15:28 RB Salzburg is an excellently organized and managed club. They have the strongest U22 selection in the world. :applause: It's fantastic how these kids play. Each of these kids will be sold for tens of millions of euros, and it is surprising what maturity and quality such a young team shows. Salzburg should be congratulated on that! A unique club in the world for everyone to admire! I wish them to win the CL title! :D
these are very friendly and authentic words! :applause:
If you do not mind I would send this to their club office. They won't get such praise every day and will be very pleased for sure. They should cut it out frame it and put it in one of their cabin rooms or in office. If I were in charge I would send you a VIP ticket for a special CL match. Maybe they'll do something.
Thanks! That's true. What surprised me the most about Salzburg was their tactical maturity and responsibility in the game, they are extremely strong defensively. Dinamo's most dangerous player Oršić seemed powerless, in the second game he was even frustrated, in every possible counter attack he would be immediately surrounded by several Salzburg players. Rarely does a team have such a return run, fast and energetic, with a minimal number of mistakes. :applause:
Salzburg's coach should definitely be praised, he does a great job with these young men. :clapping:
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

UYL:

Congratulations Milan and Dinamo Zagreb! :thumbs:

This group at the moment is upside down compared to my prediction. :?
Dragonite wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 15:31 Chelsea keeps disappointing, bottom of the group without a single win.

They're in a winless streak of 6 UYL matches (Juventus, Zenit, Genk, Dinamo Zagreb, Salzburg and Milan), the longest in their UYL history.

Milan on the other hand is in the longest undefeated streak in its UYL history, 4 matches (Liverpool, Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb and Chelsea).

Will these streaks be interrupted or extended next week?
Milan extended its undefeated streak to 5 UYL matches, while Chelsea extended its winless streak to 7 UYL matches.

Milan will progress from the group stage in round 5 if they win in Croatia, or with a draw too if Chelsea wins in Austria.
Dinamo Zagreb will progress from the group stage in round 5 if they win and Chelsea wins in Austria.
Chelsea will be eliminated if they lose in Austria, or if they draw and Dinamo Zagreb doesn't lose, or even if they win and Dinamo Zagreb also wins.

CL:

Expected win for Chelsea.
Dragonite wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 15:31 Salzburg is now in an undefeated streak of 3 CL matches (Milan, Chelsea and Dinamo Zagreb), the longest in its CL history alongside other two from 1994 (Ajax x2 and AEK Athens) and 2021 (Sevilla, LOSC and Wolfsburg).

Last season Salzburg couldn't win a single away match, they were undefeated at home and winless away. This season too they are undefeated at home and winless away.

Let's see if they can win in Croatia next week.
Salzburg is now in the longest undefeated streak in its CL history after returning from Croatia with a draw.

Chelsea will qualify to the CL last 16 in round 5 if they win in Austria.
Salzburg will qualify to the CL last 16 in round 5 if they win and Milan doesn't win in Croatia.
Dinamo Zagreb will be last placed if in round 5 they lose and Salzburg doesn't.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Tough game for Dinamo on Tuesday. Milan is now stronger than they were in September, while Dinamo has somewhat declined in form since then, which is understandable given the number of games they've played since early July. I expect Milan to push really hard for that win to put themselves in a more comfortable position before the last game v Salzburg. Personally I'd be satisfied with a draw and then hope to catch Chelsea's potential B-team on the wrong foot on MD6 (if they manage to conquer fortress Salzburg on MD5). Good thing is that Salzburg - Chelsea play in the early time slot so we will know Chelsea's qualification status before Dinamo - Milan starts.
bbi

Post by bbi »

nogomet wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:24 Tough game for Dinamo on Tuesday. Milan is now stronger than they were in September, while Dinamo has somewhat declined in form since then, which is understandable given the number of games they've played since early July. I expect Milan to push really hard for that win to put themselves in a more comfortable position before the last game v Salzburg. Personally I'd be satisfied with a draw and then hope to catch Chelsea's potential B-team on the wrong foot on MD6 (if they manage to conquer fortress Salzburg on MD5). Good thing is that Salzburg - Chelsea play in the early time slot so we will know Chelsea's qualification status before Dinamo - Milan starts.
I think September Milan was stronger. Some injuries during the break and they didn't have any convincing game since, have won in Serie A, but not vs strong opposition (current Juve is not strong opposition). The last did seem a bit better, but hard to asses because of the weak opposition.
Tatarusanu replaced Maignan as GK. Maignan was essential for starting the attacks from defense, very good with his feet, Tatarusanu is very bad at this.
With long term injuries of RBs: Florenzi and than Calabria. Now in the last matchday Dest got injured as well and didn't make the trip to Croatia. Personally I prefer Kalulu as RB to Dest, but he might have been needed as CB. Usual CB are Tomori and Kalulu. Tomori is suspended. so the CB will be Gabbia and Kjaer. The problem with having both of them is that they are static and usually relay on one of Kalulu/Tomori to be the dynamic on in the pair. so will be even harder to exist the defense with short passes. Also Kjaer doesn't have a lot of matches after the injury and seems shaky compared to last year. Also no reserves for either CB or RB, except what they might get from the primavera.
The midfield duo is solid as ever and even have backups.
In attack Diaz(AM/RW) had a good period lately, but is slightly injured(did make the trip). De Ketelare(AM/RW) and Mesias(RW) just came back after light injuries and don't seem to be much in form. Saelemaekers(RW/ potential RB) is injured longer term. So these positions are pretty shaky, might see Rebic as an RW(usually an LW). LW and ST seem well covered Leao is in good form with a backup of Rebic and Giroud was rested with finally having a backup in Origi.

I still predict a Milan win, but I am afraid of the defense, the midfield/attack will need to keep Dinamo busy.
FORZA STEAUA! FORZA MILAN!
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Expected this to happen. Europa League is the ideal competition for Dinamo. CL is pure pain 90% of time.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

nogomet wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 22:42 Expected this to happen. Europa League is the ideal competition for Dinamo. CL is pure pain 90% of time.
I agree. That's what I thought about Maccabi Haifa qualifying to the CL. They're playing well, but are up against superb players and teams. In the EL they could've get 2-3 wins at least.