2026 World Cup - Asian qualifiers

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

Last edited by amenina on Tue Jun 11, 2024 23:12, edited 2 times in total.
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

Tazmania wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 22:31 It would be better to use R2 ranking to seed the R3 draw.
Given the difference of strength of the groups (e.g., Group G is quite strong while Group H is quite weak), I don't think this would be a good idea.

And the seeding according to the FIFA rankings does seem to offer a quite good reflection of the relative strength of the teams, at least in the first four pots, with Iraq in Pot 2 instead of Saudi Arabia (only group runner-up in first 3 pots), and Jordan in Pot 3 instead of UAE (only group winner not in first 3 pots).
User avatar
Firnen
Senior Member
Posts: 12415
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 21:32

Post by Firnen »

Diouf wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 22:21 Saudi Arabia lost pot 2 with the defeat against Jordan, who jumps ahead of UAE and into pot 3.

Pot 1:
🇯🇵 Japan
🇮🇷 Iran
🇰🇷 Korea Republic

Pot 2:
🇦🇺 Australia
🇶🇦 Qatar
🇮🇶 Iraq

Pot 3:
🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia
🇺🇿 Uzbekistan
🇯🇴 Jordan

Pot 4:
🇦🇪 UAE
🇴🇲 Oman
🇧🇭 Bahrain

Pot 5:
🇨🇳 China
🇵🇸 Palestine
🇰🇬 Kyrgyzstan

Pot 6:
🇰🇵 Korea DPR
🇮🇩 Indonesia
🇰🇼 Kuwait
As long as the draw doesn't place Iraq and Saudi Arabia in the same Group, it's very likely we will see Iraq, Uzbekistan or Jordan in the World Cup.
Lorric
Senior Member
Posts: 41544
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 16:45
Location: England

Post by Lorric »

So even in this format we could get another Japan/Australia/Saudi Arabia group. You could repeat last cycle's group with Oman and China. Vietnam didn't make it despite it being easier to do so this time.
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

Second round final standings

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Lorric
Senior Member
Posts: 41544
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 16:45
Location: England

Post by Lorric »

Diouf wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 22:21 Saudi Arabia lost pot 2 with the defeat against Jordan, who jumps ahead of UAE and into pot 3.

Pot 1:
🇯🇵 Japan
🇮🇷 Iran
🇰🇷 Korea Republic

Pot 2:
🇦🇺 Australia
🇶🇦 Qatar
🇮🇶 Iraq

Pot 3:
🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia
🇺🇿 Uzbekistan
🇯🇴 Jordan

Pot 4:
🇦🇪 UAE
🇴🇲 Oman
🇧🇭 Bahrain

Pot 5:
🇨🇳 China
🇵🇸 Palestine
🇰🇬 Kyrgyzstan

Pot 6:
🇰🇵 Korea DPR
🇮🇩 Indonesia
🇰🇼 Kuwait
The draw is on the 27th, and then Asia, CONMEBOL and OFC will have the stage to themselves for the rest of the year as CONCACAF is off for the Nations League for an entire year, UEFA will be playing Nations League too and Africa switches to AFCON qualifying before returning in March.

FIFA Rankings are always used, but just for fun, if it was group stage record, with number of pots moved shown:

Pot 1:
Japan
Australia +1
Iraq +1

Pot 2:
South Korea -1
Qatar
UAE +2

Pot 3:
Iran -2
Jordan
Oman +1

Pot 4:
Uzbekistan -1
Saudi Arabia -1
Bahrain

Pot 5:
Kyrgyzstan
Indonesia +1
Korea DPR +1

Pot 6:
China -1
Palestine -1
Kuwait

Life: Iraq, UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Indonesia, Kuwait
Death: Japan, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kyrgyzstan, China
User avatar
Firnen
Senior Member
Posts: 12415
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 21:32

Post by Firnen »

Indonesia nationalized everyone and their mother to build a decent national team, almost all their starters are Dutch with ancestry from Indonesia now.

This explains the sudden improvement lately.
mspm89
Senior Member
Posts: 2755
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 01:56
Location: Nicaragua

Post by mspm89 »

Firnen wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 15:18 Indonesia nationalized everyone and their mother to build a decent national team, almost all their starters are Dutch with ancestry from Indonesia now.

This explains the sudden improvement lately.
Well, ethnically speaking, this team must be fairly close to that of 1938 then.
Ed
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:35
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Ed »

Firnen wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 15:18 Indonesia nationalized everyone and their mother to build a decent national team, almost all their starters are Dutch with ancestry from Indonesia now.

This explains the sudden improvement lately.
Yeah, it turns out average Eredivisie players can boost performances from such NT's. Same's happening in other teams/countries with a Dutch link: Suriname and Curacao and (to a lesser extent) Bonaire and Aruba.
dopeisland
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 22:35
Location: Alabama, USA
Contact:

Post by dopeisland »

Lorric wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:32
Diouf wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 22:21 Saudi Arabia lost pot 2 with the defeat against Jordan, who jumps ahead of UAE and into pot 3.

Pot 1:
🇯🇵 Japan
🇮🇷 Iran
🇰🇷 Korea Republic

Pot 2:
🇦🇺 Australia
🇶🇦 Qatar
🇮🇶 Iraq

Pot 3:
🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia
🇺🇿 Uzbekistan
🇯🇴 Jordan

Pot 4:
🇦🇪 UAE
🇴🇲 Oman
🇧🇭 Bahrain

Pot 5:
🇨🇳 China
🇵🇸 Palestine
🇰🇬 Kyrgyzstan

Pot 6:
🇰🇵 Korea DPR
🇮🇩 Indonesia
🇰🇼 Kuwait
The draw is on the 27th, and then Asia, CONMEBOL and OFC will have the stage to themselves for the rest of the year as CONCACAF is off for the Nations League for an entire year, UEFA will be playing Nations League too and Africa switches to AFCON qualifying before returning in March.

FIFA Rankings are always used, but just for fun, if it was group stage record, with number of pots moved shown:

Pot 1:
Japan
Australia +1
Iraq +1

Pot 2:
South Korea -1
Qatar
UAE +2

Pot 3:
Iran -2
Jordan
Oman +1

Pot 4:
Uzbekistan -1
Saudi Arabia -1
Bahrain

Pot 5:
Kyrgyzstan
Indonesia +1
Korea DPR +1

Pot 6:
China -1
Palestine -1
Kuwait

Life: Iraq, UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Indonesia, Kuwait
Death: Japan, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kyrgyzstan, China
Definitely have the odds of a George W. Bush All-Star group of: Iran, UAE, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, China
Lorric
Senior Member
Posts: 41544
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 16:45
Location: England

Post by Lorric »

dopeisland wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 22:27
Lorric wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:32
Diouf wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 22:21 Saudi Arabia lost pot 2 with the defeat against Jordan, who jumps ahead of UAE and into pot 3.

Pot 1:
🇯🇵 Japan
🇮🇷 Iran
🇰🇷 Korea Republic

Pot 2:
🇦🇺 Australia
🇶🇦 Qatar
🇮🇶 Iraq

Pot 3:
🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia
🇺🇿 Uzbekistan
🇯🇴 Jordan

Pot 4:
🇦🇪 UAE
🇴🇲 Oman
🇧🇭 Bahrain

Pot 5:
🇨🇳 China
🇵🇸 Palestine
🇰🇬 Kyrgyzstan

Pot 6:
🇰🇵 Korea DPR
🇮🇩 Indonesia
🇰🇼 Kuwait
The draw is on the 27th, and then Asia, CONMEBOL and OFC will have the stage to themselves for the rest of the year as CONCACAF is off for the Nations League for an entire year, UEFA will be playing Nations League too and Africa switches to AFCON qualifying before returning in March.

FIFA Rankings are always used, but just for fun, if it was group stage record, with number of pots moved shown:

Pot 1:
Japan
Australia +1
Iraq +1

Pot 2:
South Korea -1
Qatar
UAE +2

Pot 3:
Iran -2
Jordan
Oman +1

Pot 4:
Uzbekistan -1
Saudi Arabia -1
Bahrain

Pot 5:
Kyrgyzstan
Indonesia +1
Korea DPR +1

Pot 6:
China -1
Palestine -1
Kuwait

Life: Iraq, UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Indonesia, Kuwait
Death: Japan, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kyrgyzstan, China
Definitely have the odds of a George W. Bush All-Star group of: Iran, UAE, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, China
You can get that in real life as well as based on group performance.
User avatar
Michele
Senior Member
Posts: 2595
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 23:53
Location: Copenhagen

Post by Michele »

Are we never going to talk about Qatar's equalizer against India?

https://www.daily-mail.co.uk/sport/footb ... cored.html

To me, it looks like the ball is far enough across the line to be completely out. But I haven't seen an angle that can definitively settle the matter. And unfortunately VAR isn't used at this stage, so no help there.

I'm not implying anything shady, but it's very unfortunate for India to miss out partly based on such a questionable decision.
Shing
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2023 21:04

Post by Shing »

Feel bad for the eliminated teams' World Cup journey end so early. The qualifying format could be modified to make it more interesting.

- After this round, the 18 qualified teams are in League A and all other teams are in League B
- League A still play 3 hex. Top 2 in each group (6 teams) directly qualify. 3rd and 4th placed teams in each group (6 teams) advance to PO
- League B has 7 or 8 groups of 3 or 4 teams. The best ranked 8 teams advance to play 2 round knockout. The 2 winners advance to PO
- PO has 8 teams (6 from League A and 2 from League B). Play 2 round knockout and the 2 winners qualify
Lorric
Senior Member
Posts: 41544
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 16:45
Location: England

Post by Lorric »

Michele wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 09:35 Are we never going to talk about Qatar's equalizer against India?

https://www.daily-mail.co.uk/sport/foot ... cored.html

To me, it looks like the ball is far enough across the line to be completely out. But I haven't seen an angle that can definitively settle the matter. And unfortunately VAR isn't used at this stage, so no help there.

I'm not implying anything shady, but it's very unfortunate for India to miss out partly based on such a questionable decision.
I saw it from the back live, it didn't look fully out.

Even if it was out, I'd be more annoyed if it was my team that they didn't play to the damn whistle. You put your fate in the hands of the referee instead of your own. That was very much stoppable. Just standing there with their hands in the air letting it happen. Pathetic.

Meanwhile, China fans send money to the Singapore goalkeeper as a thank you:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... mm0v31ve0o
Last edited by Lorric on Fri Jun 14, 2024 14:56, edited 2 times in total.
Lorric
Senior Member
Posts: 41544
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 16:45
Location: England

Post by Lorric »

Shing wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 00:16 Feel bad for the eliminated teams' World Cup journey end so early. The qualifying format could be modified to make it more interesting.

- After this round, the 18 qualified teams are in League A and all other teams are in League B
- League A still play 3 hex. Top 2 in each group (6 teams) directly qualify. 3rd and 4th placed teams in each group (6 teams) advance to PO
- League B has 7 or 8 groups of 3 or 4 teams. The best ranked 8 teams advance to play 2 round knockout. The 2 winners advance to PO
- PO has 8 teams (6 from League A and 2 from League B). Play 2 round knockout and the 2 winners qualify
Most of the teams go on to Asian Cup qualifying, so they're not left twiddling their thumbs.
Post Reply