2026 World Cup - African qualifiers

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
User avatar
Jackson Harrison
Senior Member
Posts: 6572
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2022 17:25
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Firnen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 18:58 Comoros beat Ghana and are dreaming of the World Cup!

Cameroon and Senegal dropped points away to Libya and Togo.

Mauritius got a point from Angola, while Somalia and Sao Tome are not punching bags.

The only real punching bad of CAF is Seychelles.
You think 🇰🇲 can make it?
matt
Senior Member
Posts: 7956
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 20:06
Location: Italy

Post by matt »

amenina wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 19:20
matt wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 19:13 If you are a football fan and you are looking for goals hold on and resist: club football is coming back in three days :help:
Today's CAF matches are once again full of the typical African football scores, full of 0's. Only one match out of 13 did both teams scored (Libya 1-1 Cameroon), with 4 goalless draws.
Yes, i wrote my previous post one minute after watching a page with the scores of the day in Africa :grin1:
It's a format that penalize draws, there's is a big incentive against the 0-0s, but still :dontknow:
International break hater
User avatar
Firnen
Senior Member
Posts: 12415
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 21:32

Post by Firnen »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 20:27
Firnen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 18:58 Comoros beat Ghana and are dreaming of the World Cup!

Cameroon and Senegal dropped points away to Libya and Togo.

Mauritius got a point from Angola, while Somalia and Sao Tome are not punching bags.

The only real punching bad of CAF is Seychelles.
You think 🇰🇲 can make it?
Yes, Mali is easily the weakest Pot 1 team and Ghana doesn't scare anyone.
User avatar
Jackson Harrison
Senior Member
Posts: 6572
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2022 17:25
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Firnen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 20:38
Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 20:27
Firnen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 18:58 Comoros beat Ghana and are dreaming of the World Cup!

Cameroon and Senegal dropped points away to Libya and Togo.

Mauritius got a point from Angola, while Somalia and Sao Tome are not punching bags.

The only real punching bad of CAF is Seychelles.
You think 🇰🇲 can make it?
Yes, Mali is easily the weakest Pot 1 team and Ghana doesn't scare anyone.
Agree. 🇬🇭 threatened nobody at WC.
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

amenina wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 19:17
Firnen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 18:58 Comoros beat Ghana and are dreaming of the World Cup!

Cameroon and Senegal dropped points away to Libya and Togo.

Mauritius got a point from Angola, while Somalia and Sao Tome are not punching bags.

The only real punching bad of CAF is Seychelles.
Cameroon and Senegal still being tied on top of their group since none of the other teams won 2 out of 2.

In qualifying for 2023 AFCON, all 46 teams which played in the group stage (Kenya and Zimbabwe were disqualified after being suspended by FIFA) got at least 1 point out of the 6 matches (4 for 3-team groups). There are very few bad teams in Africa, and most of the 2nd and 3rd tier teams are quite inconsistent in their performances, so even the supposed minnows can get a point here or there.

Only one group left, Group E, with Morocco finally starting their "defense of best World Cup African team" with a tricky away match against Tanzania, and closest challenger Zambia "away" to Niger (match played in Morocco).
Morocco won 2-0, while Zambia lost 1-2.

Morocco should cruise in this group.
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

Group stage matchday 2 results, 21 November 2023

Report: https://www.cafonline.com/news/heavywei ... a-stumble/

Image

Image

Standings after matchday 2

Image

Image

Image

Matchdays 3 and 4 will be played in June 2024.
Matchday 3: 4 vs 6, 3 vs 5, 1 vs 2
Matchday 4: 2 vs 4, 3 vs 1, 6 vs 5
Ed
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:35
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Ed »

amenina wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 03:44 Image
Morocco 3 points from 2 matches. Jesus CAF, if you are that ignorant then don't publish anything, please.
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

Ed wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 08:30
amenina wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 03:44 Image
Morocco 3 points from 2 matches. Jesus CAF, if you are that ignorant then don't publish anything, please.
CAF is the Harry Maguire of publishing scores/standings/news/reports. Can never go a full round without making a bone-headed mistake.
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

matt wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 20:29
amenina wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 19:20
matt wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 19:13 If you are a football fan and you are looking for goals hold on and resist: club football is coming back in three days :help:
Today's CAF matches are once again full of the typical African football scores, full of 0's. Only one match out of 13 did both teams scored (Libya 1-1 Cameroon), with 4 goalless draws.
Yes, i wrote my previous post one minute after watching a page with the scores of the day in Africa :grin1:
It's a format that penalize draws, there's is a big incentive against the 0-0s, but still :dontknow:
A draw is still a useful result because you do not concede a 3-point advantage to the team you are playing. And if you know the other match results are also quite likely to end in draws, you are not that disadvantaged compared with other teams in your group.

There has been suggestions that the two teams in a 0-0 draw should both get ZERO points instead of one. Ignoring collusion (you score a goal, then we score a goal to start the match), even in this case a 0-0 draw can be useful if you are playing a direct competitor (two teams fighting for the title or survival near the end of season) because it also denies them points.
Sagy
Posts: 872
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2021 01:27
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by Sagy »

amenina wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 09:51
matt wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 20:29
amenina wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 19:20

Today's CAF matches are once again full of the typical African football scores, full of 0's. Only one match out of 13 did both teams scored (Libya 1-1 Cameroon), with 4 goalless draws.
Yes, i wrote my previous post one minute after watching a page with the scores of the day in Africa :grin1:
It's a format that penalize draws, there's is a big incentive against the 0-0s, but still :dontknow:
A draw is still a useful result because you do not concede a 3-point advantage to the team you are playing. And if you know the other match results are also quite likely to end in draws, you are not that disadvantaged compared with other teams in your group.

There has been suggestions that the two teams in a 0-0 draw should both get ZERO points instead of one. Ignoring collusion (you score a goal, then we score a goal to start the match), even in this case a 0-0 draw can be useful if you are playing a direct competitor (two teams fighting for the title or survival near the end of season) because it also denies them points.
I really like the old MLS point system: 6 points for a win, 3 for a tie, 1 for each goal scored up to 3 per game. I played in a league that used this system and also gave a bonus point for a shutout win (3:0 win is worth 10 points).
matt
Senior Member
Posts: 7956
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 20:06
Location: Italy

Post by matt »

amenina wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 09:51
matt wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 20:29
amenina wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 19:20

Today's CAF matches are once again full of the typical African football scores, full of 0's. Only one match out of 13 did both teams scored (Libya 1-1 Cameroon), with 4 goalless draws.
Yes, i wrote my previous post one minute after watching a page with the scores of the day in Africa :grin1:
It's a format that penalize draws, there's is a big incentive against the 0-0s, but still :dontknow:
A draw is still a useful result because you do not concede a 3-point advantage to the team you are playing. And if you know the other match results are also quite likely to end in draws, you are not that disadvantaged compared with other teams in your group.

There has been suggestions that the two teams in a 0-0 draw should both get ZERO points instead of one. Ignoring collusion (you score a goal, then we score a goal to start the match), even in this case a 0-0 draw can be useful if you are playing a direct competitor
Yesterday 0-0s: Lesotho - Benin, South Sudan - Mauritania, Mauritius - Angola, Togo - Senegal.
The home teams have close to zero chances to qualify and may be satisfied with a prestigious result, while for away teams it was a very disappointing result: two points lost more than one gained for sure.
Senegal are still likely to advance, but for Benin, Angola and Mauritania this draws represent a clear setback in groups where they could play the role of dangerous outsiders as long as they picked up 100% of the points against the pot 5 and pot 6 teams.
International break hater
dopeisland
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 22:35
Location: Alabama, USA
Contact:

Post by dopeisland »

Image
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

Eritrea: What next for football after World Cup qualifying withdrawal?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/67474407
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

Hossam Hassan takes charge as Egypt's new head coach

https://english.ahram.org.eg/News/517272.aspx
amenina
Senior Member
Posts: 8878
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 23:22

Post by amenina »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/68437224

Jose Peseiro: Nigeria head coach departs as contract ends

Algeria have appointed former Switzerland boss Vladimir Petkovic

Earlier in the week, Rigobert Song became the latest post-Afcon managerial casualty after the Cameroonian Football Federation (Fecafoot) decided not to renew his contract, ending a two-year spell in charge.
Post Reply