Euro 2024 Group B: Spain - Croatia - Italy - Albania

World Cup 2026, Euro 2028, etc.
MercedesBenz240

Post by MercedesBenz240 »

Kind of a weird match. After Italy overturned the result so quickly and effortlessly I thought it was gonna turn real nasty for us. I thought we respected Italy way too much. No pressing, no desire to move forward, completely lethargic. If you're going to stay behind you need quality forwards to make the best of every chance like Muçi, not bums like Seferi and Asani. Very poor match from our coach as well.

Croatia-Albania could be fun, but I'm pessimistic.
seso

Post by seso »

I am always impressed by Gianluigi Donnarumma and Federico Chiesa! 26 years old and they already have so many apps with Italy!
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

I liked the reaction and the pace of Italy in the first half, even if Italy missed too many opportunities.
In the first time they seem to have the same enthusiasm and the same willing to play of Euro 2021.
Italy pace in the second half was lower, maybe they were a bit tired, anyway it was not a nice 2nd half.
Hope for more partecipants in the next Prediction Game
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Congratulations Spain! :clapping:

This was Croatia's biggest defeat in Euros history, alongside another 0-3 defeat against Portugal in 1996.

This is the kind of game where the losers can look at statistics and complain about how "unlucky" they were.

Croatia had more xG (2.3 vs 1.9), more shots (16-11), same number of shots on goal (5-5), more pass accuracy (88%-85%), even more ball possession (53%-47%).

And yet they lost 0-3! They're the only team in Euro 2024 that couldn't score yet. :fingal:

Witkop1983 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 20:10 I highly doubt all decisions around the penalty moment were correct.

yellow card? Or should it have been red?
no retake? Yes Kramaric was in the 16 early, but also some Spanish players were...
Yes, most controversial incident in Euro 2024 so far.

1 - Was it even a penalty kick?

2 - If it was a penalty kick, why wasn't it a red card too?

3 - Was it disallowed because Croatian players invaded the penalty box before Petkovic's shot?

4 - If so, does it count as a penalty save for Unai Simón or not?
Last edited by Dragonite on Mon Jun 17, 2024 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Congratulations Italy! :bouncy:

This was the closest match so far. Albania scored first, Italy recovered quickly, then Albania could have scored its second but Donnarumma saved Manaj's shot.

Will Italy regret not getting a bigger win against Albania? Let's wait and see. One more point in the following two matches should be enough to advance, but if they lose both then 3 points and a goal difference of -1 or worse may not be enough.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

Croatia's biggest defeat at major competitions shocked not only the national team, but also the whole of Croatia. :mol: Expectations were high on the eve of this Euro, the national team performed well in the preliminary matches, nobody thought of defeat in Croatia, especially not 0:3. Personally, I thought it would be a draw or a win for Croatia. It is questionable whether Croatia will be able to mentally recover after this shock before Albania, which against Italy proved to be a much better national team than expected. :upset:
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

babaluj1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:11 Croatia's biggest defeat at major competitions shocked not only the national team, but also the whole of Croatia. :mol: Expectations were high on the eve of this Euro, the national team performed well in the preliminary matches, nobody thought of defeat in Croatia, especially not 0:3. Personally, I thought it would be a draw or a win for Croatia. It is questionable whether Croatia will be able to mentally recover after this shock before Albania, which against Italy proved to be a much better national team than expected. :upset:
If Croatia clear their head, they can still do great, since with this silly 24 teams GS, they are almost secured in next phase.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 13:13
babaluj1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:11 Croatia's biggest defeat at major competitions shocked not only the national team, but also the whole of Croatia. :mol: Expectations were high on the eve of this Euro, the national team performed well in the preliminary matches, nobody thought of defeat in Croatia, especially not 0:3. Personally, I thought it would be a draw or a win for Croatia. It is questionable whether Croatia will be able to mentally recover after this shock before Albania, which against Italy proved to be a much better national team than expected. :upset:
If Croatia clear their head, they can still do great, since with this silly 24 teams GS, they are almost secured in next phase.
Although Croatia has never lost to Italy, that possibility always exists. Italy is not a team to be underestimated, and in the round of 16, only 4 third-placed teams enter, some teams with 3 points and a better goal difference will pass. That's why Croatia needs a big win against Albania, so that in the case of a minimal defeat against Italy, it would be among those with 3 points and a better goal difference. Croatia needs a win of at least 3 goals against Albania in order to correct the bad goal difference, and that will not be an easy task. The heavy defeat against Spain put Croatia in a very difficult position, it is never good to depend on the result with the Italians in the last match. :upset:
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

Italy finally played better than in the last two-three years, expecially in the first half.
Not yet enough.
IMHO the average Italian players talent is not at the level of other Top National Team like England, France, Germany, Portugal - sorry if I am missing some NT.
But you will never know in a so short tournament what can happen: motivation, athletic shape and luck may impact.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

fabiomh wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 19:21 Italy finally played better than in the last two-three years, expecially in the first half.
Not yet enough.
IMHO the average Italian players talent is not at the level of other Top National Team like England, France, Germany, Portugal - sorry if I am missing some NT.
But you will never know in a so short tournament what can happen: motivation, athletic shape and luck may impact.
Indeed, there are no Tottis, Del Pieros, Baggios or Pirlos in Italy now. What happened? Even though the country and the league have been famous for their defensive play, they always managed to produce enough world class creative midfielders and forwards in every generation.
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

mspm89 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 22:59

Indeed, there are no Tottis, Del Pieros, Baggios or Pirlos in Italy now. What happened? Even though the country and the league have been famous for their defensive play, they always managed to produce enough world class creative midfielders and forwards in every generation.
What happened?
IMHO, Italian clubs simply reduced investments in the young squads after the "Bosman affair", and they started to pick up young players from Africa.
The last champion was Pirlo, born in 1979.
This was a wrong decision for Italian football and for Serie A too.
In the meantime many countries invested much more than Italy in young teams: France, England, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, and we see the outcome.
Probably in the last 5-10 years Italian clubs increased a bit again their budget for the young teams, so things could go better in the next years, but the gap now is huge.
offside

Post by offside »

fabiomh wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 16:34

What happened?
IMHO, Italian clubs simply reduced investments in the young squads after the "Bosman affair", and they started to pick up young players from Africa.
In the meantime many countries invested much more than Italy in young teams: France, England, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, and we see the outcome.
Probably in the last 5-10 years Italian clubs increased a bit again their budget for the young teams, so things could go better in the next years, but the gap now is huge.
I think that it is also a cultural evolution matter.

When I was a kid I was playing for free in the local team, like almost everyone else my age: to play football was the cheapest alternative to practice sports. We played also behind the church, and indoor football was also very popular, since the cost of the field renting was divided by 10 players.

Now the interest in playing football at a young age generically decreased, and it is not free anymore: there are expansive football schools.

AFAIK, today for a kid to play tennis or go to swim it is about the same range of price than playing football.

Also, most of the indoor football fields in my area have been replaced by padel tennis fields recently: it is not a case that in other sports like tennis Italy is having a very strong generation in my opinion.

I don't have statistics in hand, but I think that the number of young potential football players is now less compared to the past, and this in favor of other sports or just Play Station competitions.

The result is that today there is still a Donnarumma, a Barella, or a Chiesa, but like @mspm89 mentioned, the output of Italian football talents is decisively lower than the past.

Then of course, the points made by @fabiomh also had their impact.
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

offside wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 16:59
fabiomh wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 16:34

What happened?
I think that it is also a cultural evolution matter.

When I was a kid I was playing for free in the local team, like almost everyone else my age: to play football was the cheapest alternative to practice sports. We played also behind the church, and indoor football was also very popular, since the cost of the field renting was divided by 10 players.

Now the interest in playing football at a young age generically decreased, and it is not free anymore: there are expansive football schools.

AFAIK, today for a kid to play tennis or go to swim it is about the same range of price than playing football.

Also, most of the indoor football fields in my area have been replaced by padel tennis fields recently: it is not a case that in other sports like tennis Italy is having a very strong generation in my opinion.

I don't have statistics in hand, but I think that the number of young potential football players is now less compared to the past, and this in favor of other sports or just Play Station competitions.

The result is that today there is still a Donnarumma, a Barella, or a Chiesa, but like @mspm89 mentioned, the output of Italian football talents is decisively lower than the past.

Then of course, the points made by @fabiomh also had their impact.
Agree, it is a cultural matter for sure, my son and his mates are less intersted by far in football than me and my friends at their age.
But this happens more or less in all the European countries and so it does not explain why in these 30 years Italian footballers talent decreased in comparison with the other European countries.
Last edited by fabiomh on Tue Jun 18, 2024 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

REMOVED - DUPLICATED BY ERROR
Last edited by fabiomh on Tue Jun 18, 2024 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
seso

Post by seso »

offside wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 16:59 ...Also, most of the indoor football fields in my area have been replaced by padel tennis fields recently...
I am very surprised with the popularity of padel tennis in Greece in the past years too! Fields seem to be popping up everywhere!