Euro 2024 Group B: Spain - Croatia - Italy - Albania

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

And yet, football moves more money than ever and tennis is still a niche sport for most of the working and lower classes. It's a strange phenomenon.
offside

Post by offside »

My apologies if this is a bit off-topic, but the discussion is interesting.
fabiomh wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 17:43Agree, it is a cultural matter for sure, my son and his mates are much much less intersted in football than me and my friends at their age.
But this happens more or less in all the European countries and so it does not explain why in these 30 years Italian footballers talent decreased in comparison with the other European countries.
In facts what you pointed out in your previous post about the low investments by top Serie A sides in academies post Bosman rule is also true in my opinion. I was just trying to add another possible factor to the discussion.
seso wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 18:05I am very surprised with the popularity of padel tennis in Greece in the past years too! Fields seem to be popping up everywhere!
Yes, it is the cool sport to practice for this generation.
mspm89 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 18:48And yet, football moves more money than ever and tennis is still a niche sport for most of the working and lower classes. It's a strange phenomenon.
I don't know if it is strange, but it is so.

Italy has now the ATP #1 tennis player in Yannick Sinner, and 10 players within the ATP top 100: that's 10% of the whole world!

Or just look at the number of Italian medals in the recent European Athletics competition.

Football in Italy still the #1 sport by far for popularity of course, but its popularity is less a monopoly compared to the past.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

fabiomh wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 16:34
mspm89 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 22:59

Indeed, there are no Tottis, Del Pieros, Baggios or Pirlos in Italy now. What happened? Even though the country and the league have been famous for their defensive play, they always managed to produce enough world class creative midfielders and forwards in every generation.
What happened?
IMHO, Italian clubs simply reduced investments in the young squads after the "Bosman affair", and they started to pick up young players from Africa.
The last champion was Pirlo, born in 1979.
This was a wrong decision for Italian football and for Serie A too.
In the meantime many countries invested much more than Italy in young teams: France, England, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, and we see the outcome.
Probably in the last 5-10 years Italian clubs increased a bit again their budget for the young teams, so things could go better in the next years, but the gap now is huge.
1) you don't have Pirlo, Zidane, Messi in every generation.
2) in the past you used to play football everytime, on the street. You played because you liked and you played just with your skills without anyone telling you how to do it. Then you would be pick up by a club eventually.

Now kids are more with mobile phones tablets and videogames and less sport. And when they play a sport, most of times they are doing it under some coaching, restraining your criativity.

Club youth teams and also most of coaches focus more and more in tatics and this lowers the criativity of the player or tatic players are chosen over creative but unable to follow a tatic system.

That's my opinion. In sport the level has rised but in the athletic part. Everything now is thought and trained to the max. Every single detail is analysed and worked on, like using those biometric vests, cyclists measuring their watts and so on.
They are less wonder men, born with a gift and more machine or super soldiers, made to be like this.
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

fabiomh wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 17:43Agree, it is a cultural matter for sure, my son and his mates are less intersted by far in football than me and my friends at their age.
But this happens more or less in all the European countries and so it does not explain why in these 30 years Italian footballers talent decreased in comparison with the other European countries.
I don't think this is true in the UK where you still see lots of youngsters playing football, formal and informal.

Meanwhile, last season in the EFL there were record-breaking attendances (the Championship is now the second highest attended league in Europe behind the EPL).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... ll8jdknzeo
offside

Post by offside »

Tazmania wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 23:11I don't think this is true in the UK where you still see lots of youngsters playing football, formal and informal.

Meanwhile, last season in the EFL there were record-breaking attendances (the Championship is now the second highest attended league in Europe behind the EPL).
You are making an excellent point here, there are different kind of popularity for football in a country, more or less active:
  • 1. Teaching football
  • 2. Playing formally
  • 3. Playing informally
  • 4. To be a referee
  • 5. Watching it in a stadium
  • 6. Watching it on TV
  • 7. Talking about it
I have not data and statistics to show,I talk from what I see and I know, and this about Italy.

1. Like @fabiomh already pointed out, the investments of top Serie A sides in academies after the Bosman ruling were drastically reduced. For instance, while in England even Manchester City has a Foden (and perhaps others) coming from the club academy, in Serie A none of the top clubs really relies on the academy anymore to build up the top level team: it is somehow cheaper to buy youngsters from Africa for example.

2. Compared to the past, a lower percentage of athletes formally plays football, and an higher percentage plays other sports.

3. Compared to the past, a lower percentage of kids and youngsters informally plays football (like in a park or renting an indoor pitch).

4. Honestly, I don't know for sure, but now I am curious about it.

5. AFAIK, except for maybe Juventus at home, and big events (derbies and such), the stadiums are difficult to fill up.

6. Lots of people buys TV contracts to watch football on TV, so well this still very popular, and no other sport comes even close.

7. If I am here... :grin1:
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Croatia changed 3 players compared to their previous match:
Juranovic instead of Stanisic
Perisic instead of Pongracic
Petkovic instead of Budimir

Albania changed 2 players compared to their previous match:
Laçi instead of Seferi
Manaj instead of Broja
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Early lead for Albania again heading in a cross. They've played some good stuff, let's see how it goes this time...
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Croatia with their back against the wall, if they don't win today, they have 1 foot on the plane home.

Albania's goal was a generous gift from Livakovic.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

I knew the Albania coach was Sylvinho, but hadn't realised his assistant was Pablo Zabaleta.
No to Superleague
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

No way Croatia will turn it around if they continue playing this way. They have to improve significantly quickly. It may sound shockingly, but they should consider themselves lucky that they are losing by 1-goal margin only.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Oof. Two quick goals in 2mins. 2-1 Croatia, took longer, but again Albania concede two quick goals.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Greyn wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 16:05 No way Croatia will turn it around if they continue playing this way. They have to improve significantly quickly. It may sound shockingly, but they should consider themselves lucky that they are losing by 1-goal margin only.
They turned it around without improving significantly. Just like against Italy, Albania loses their focus at 1-1 and 2-1 comes very quickly.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

2-2 Albania, they're taking Croatia out with them?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

But this time Albania will not lose 2-1. Lots of men up trying to equalise in the dying minutes, and they do!
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

Shqiptarët trima! :clapping:
the minutes they fought and played at the end was amazing
Last edited by Club-Mate on Wed Jun 19, 2024 17:37, edited 2 times in total.
Geh-Heim-Favorit statt Geheimfavorit 🇦🇹