Post by bbi »

romania

sportul studentesc
petrolul ploiesti
fc brasov
inter sibiu
jiu petrosani

and i forgot about arges pitesti
Last edited by bbi on Mon Feb 11, 2008 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
FORZA STEAUA! FORZA MILAN!
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Spain:

Rayo Vallecano--"my team"; currently in second division "B"

Oviedo--currently in third division

Sporting Gijon--currently in second division; these last two because this is the area I live in when I'm in Spain for extended periods

Granada--currently in second divison "B"

Malaga--currently leads second division; will win promotion unless the team disintegrates
moro

Post by moro »

I miss FC Baia Mare (Ro), Kuusysi Lahti (Fin), IFK Goteborg, Brescia and Nottingham.
Cirdan

Post by Cirdan »

Kaiser wrote: GERMANY

Koeln
Aachen
Kaiserslautern
Aachen? why Aachen?

Anyway, Koeln, Kaiserslautern and 1860 München would be nice, they are big traditional clubs and in 1860s case, an important derby would return to the Bundesliga.

Additionally, I'd like to have Dynamo Dresden back... at the moment, they have problems with right extremist fans, however Saxony in general and Dynamo Dresden in particular were the big centers of GDR football, I think they belong in the Bundesliga. I'd also like to see Magdeburg at least in 2. Bundesliga... I think it's a pity that the biggest brands of east German football are playing in amateur leagues.
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

Moro

I already have both good(ish) and very good news for you.

Kuusysi Lahti may be no more - but the club they created when they merged with their rivals Reipas is already in the Finnish top flight. They finished mid-table in 2007.

As for the very good news. IFK are not only in the Swedish top flight - they won it in 2007. So they will be in the CL (or at least the qualifiers) next year.

Personally I'm not that keen on "the same old faces" returning to the top flight - at least not if all they can achieve is fighting againsat relegation. If they can do better - "comfortable" mid-table at worst then fine.

West Bromwich Albion are playing pretty decent football this year - so I'd probably be happy to see them promoted. Otherwise I'd rather see the likes of Stoke & Bristol City (who haven't been in the top flight since 1985 & 1980 respectively) return rather than teams like Watford or Charlton that have been away just a season. Hull - who have never been in the top division would be excellent too though.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

and what about Brighton, badgerboy? :P
totosexpandingheadband

Post by totosexpandingheadband »

Cirdan wrote:
Kaiser wrote: GERMANY

Koeln
Aachen
Kaiserslautern
Aachen? why Aachen?

Anyway, Koeln, Kaiserslautern and 1860 München would be nice, they are big traditional clubs and in 1860s case, an important derby would return to the Bundesliga.

Additionally, I'd like to have Dynamo Dresden back... at the moment, they have problems with right extremist fans, however Saxony in general and Dynamo Dresden in particular were the big centers of GDR football, I think they belong in the Bundesliga. I'd also like to see Magdeburg at least in 2. Bundesliga... I think it's a pity that the biggest brands of east German football are playing in amateur leagues.

I noticed there is a team Erzgebirge Aue in the 2.Bundesliga now,is this a descendant of the former Wismut Aue?
Also Carl Zeiss Jena are in this division,have they been making their way back up the amateur leagues.?
Cirdan

Post by Cirdan »

totosexpandingheadband wrote: I noticed there is a team Erzgebirge Aue in the 2.Bundesliga now,is this a descendant of the former Wismut Aue?
Also Carl Zeiss Jena are in this division,have they been making their way back up the amateur leagues.?
Yes to both, Jena was already in 2nd division last year and in GDR times Aue was called "Wismut Karl Marx Stadt" and one of the bigger clubs.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I wonder why former GDR clubs are so weak now? In past times they ruled Europe and now only Hansa von Rostock plays (weakly) in 1.Bundesliga
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Cirdan wrote: Additionally, I'd like to have Dynamo Dresden back... at the moment, they have problems with right extremist fans, however Saxony in general and Dynamo Dresden in particular were the big centers of GDR football, I think they belong in the Bundesliga. I'd also like to see Magdeburg at least in 2. Bundesliga... I think it's a pity that the biggest brands of east German football are playing in amateur leagues.
Yes, yes :D Dynamo Dresden would be great in the Bundesliga. Also more teams from the East in Zweite Bundesliga - Magdeburg, Lokomotive Leipzig (Germany's first ever champions :shock: ), Union Berlin. Ah, well, at least there are two teams from the East in the Bundesliga this year; unfortunatelly they're not doing very well...
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

Cirdan wrote:Aachen? why Aachen?
You could say that about quite a few of Kaiser's picks. Elche - why Elche?

In terms of history - rather than my own personal bias - it's interesting to see the teams that theoretically "belong" in the top flight.

In terms of trophies won (domestically & in Europe) Wolves, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds & West Bromwich Albion are the most noticeable absentees. As well as being in the top sixteen all-time list of total trophies won they've also all won every major domestic trophy (League, FA Cup, League Cup) going.

Arguably Sheffield United (5 major trophies) and Ipswich (the only other club besides Leeds & Nottingham Forest outside the top flight to win a European trophy) would join them in a "Historic Super 20" of English Football.

In Spain the only major trophy winner missing from the top flight is Real Sociedad. Otherwise Spain is unique amongst the "big five" of Europe - and thus I suspect in all of Europe - in having a lot of clubs that are "names" in Europe (having reached at least a European quarter-final) but have never won anything major domestically (at least on a national level). Celta Vigo would probably be the biggest of these currently outside the top flight (3 quarters) with Alaves the other name that has recent resonance.

I also consider some of the clubs AlanK already mentioned - Sporting Gijon & Real Oviedo immediately spring to mind as "big clubs" - but I guess they are the "Newcastle's of Spain" - in terms of garnering huge local support but not being much good at winning things. Indeed they are far worse than Newcastle in terms of both their current status (at least Newcastle are in the top flight) and the fact that Newcastle have actually won the odd trophy (actually 11 of them) in their dim & distant past.

Bologna are the only serious "daddy" of Italian football missing from it's top flight. Though the thought/fantasy of the once mighty Pro Vercelli (seven early titles but currently languishing in Serie C2-A (Italy's 4th level) returning to former glories is a nice one. I always liked the flying donkeys of Chievo - but maybe it would be even nicer now to see the more traditional club of Verona - Hellas - emerge from the doldrums of Serie C1-A.

From France, Stade de Reims glory days are so long ago I really would like to see them come back. Nantes are a huge club in French history - relegated last year of course. Next in line are a couple of old Parisian giants that I suspect are never likely to be back - Racing Club & Red Star - both now playing at the 4th level.

Germany - including the old East - has plenty of former giants & trophy winners of one sort or another spread over at least five levels of it's current set up.

Dynamo Dresden (Level 3) are the biggest of these in terms of trophies (second only to Bayern Munich). Then there's Dynamo Berlin (Level 4) - but they cheated a lot. Magdeburg (Level 3) were the only East German club to win a European trophy.

My own East German pick though would be Lokomotive Leipzig (Level 5). They seem to be the FC United of Manchester of Germany (a fans club) - the two clubs actually played each other a year or two back. They always seemed to be in Europe when I first followed games in the late 70s-early 80s and surprisingly they never won the East German league - only the united German one (3 times) prior to the split.

Borussia Monchengladbach, Koln & Kaiserslautern (all in Bundesliga 2)are the biggest of the fallen "western" giants. I'd love Monchengladbach to return to their glory days of the 70s. Otherwise for some reason linked again to those early days of following European nights on the Radio I have a soft spot for Fortuna Dusseldorf (Level 3). Maybe there's a subconscious link to the fact that a very popular (& funny) TV show - Auf Wiedersehen, Pet was set there during it's first - 1980s - incarnation!
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

Kaiser wrote:and what about Brighton, badgerboy?
Ah well - I was only looking at teams currently in the Championship promotion picture. Sadly, Brighton aren't even in the League One promotion picture at the moment.

And historically I couldn't call them a "returning giant". Only four seasons in the top flight - ever. And one losing FA Cup final their greatest claim to fame. Still Reading (of last season not this) are a decent example to look up to - & aspire to - once our new stadium is built. The beast is still asleep - but lots of blokes with big sticks are preparing to wake it!
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Lower league teams getting new, pretty big and pretty expensive stadiums - that's something you don't exactly see everywhere... :roll:
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

It's a very happy - if very drawn out - outcome for a club that's been either homeless or playing in a totally inadequate stadium for the past 11 years.

Clubs in crisis