Luxemburg championship suspended

Domestic league and cup football
Executor

Luxemburg championship suspended

Post by Executor »

I know! This isn't a fact that would interest a lot of people. But this is a forum for European football and this is a country in Europe. :)

The Luxemburg Federation suspended the domestic championship for at least a week. The reason: a referee was attacked, while leading a game in the 3rd league between Red Black and US Bous, by the players of the visiting team, who weren't satisfied with his performance. The referee was transported to a hospital and is now out of any danger.

I guess this means the championship will end later then planned (May 20th).

Any comments? Malko? :)
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

That's even worse than our lower (amateur/regional) divisions... in our lower divisions all referees "support" the home team because they know the followers in the stadium may turn on them... and sometimes when they don't like something there may be some physical threats (there are a few related cases from many amateur divisions). But the away team although feeling the injustice most of the time never turns on the referee, because they know that would provoke the home crowd...
Richie

Post by Richie »

In all seriousness, would it not be a better idea for the Luxembourg teams to play in the French leagues, ala Monaco or Vaduz in the Swiss league?
Wak

Post by Wak »

Things are a little bit different ; Luxembourg is a much more greater country than Monaco or Liechtenstein, which are not totally independant like Luxembourg : are part of EU, have their own currency (or since 2002, an obverse side of the Euro coin, very sought-after because being rare).
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

To revive an old thread :)

I read on the internet recently that the Belgian FA made an offer to the Luxembourg FA to include their teams in the Belgian league system. Can anyone confirm this?
moro

Post by moro »

On www.flf.lu nothing.

Here http://forums.lesoir.be/lofiversion/ind ... t8355.html some guys are talking about some decision to organise Belgium ch-ship in dutch system (with play-offs). Some of them are talking abut "it would be nice to make a Benelux ch-ship" but then they remember Lux teams are poor and said "only Be-Ned".
They never talked about such proposal, to put Lux teams in Belgium.
I found an article about people investing money in Lux clubs (not much) - they invest essentially in young generation and dont seems interrested in performance, except maybe for one or two clubs - Kaerj.. and Dudelange (that's how I got it reading very fast).
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

A few years ago there was some discussion about moving a few Luxembourg clubs into the 2nd Belgian division, but that discussion never got serieus I believe.
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

OK, I found it. I remembered reading it, but could not remember where. It was on Forum 1 of all places :)

See stoffel's post on 08-09-2005, 22:29.
Malko

Post by Malko »

Well, it is not quite dead, but has increased. there is a lobby for professionalisation of the luxembourgish football, and this is one of there aims....
see more here :
http://www.profootball.lu/

infortunately only available in french and german
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Thanks. French will do :)
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Actually I was looking to find more info regarding the Belgian FA offer for the Luxembourg teams to play in the Belgian league system.
garfield335

Post by garfield335 »

Wak wrote:Things are a little bit different ; Luxembourg is a much more greater country than Monaco or Liechtenstein, which are not totally independant like Luxembourg : are part of EU, have their own currency (or since 2002, an obverse side of the Euro coin, very sought-after because being rare).
We never had our own currency,

before the Euro, we had a currency union with Belgique
garfield335

Post by garfield335 »

Edgar wrote:To revive an old thread :)

I read on the internet recently that the Belgian FA made an offer to the Luxembourg FA to include their teams in the Belgian league system. Can anyone confirm this?

A good idea, but far away from reality. Luxembourg is an independant country and we are proud to be Luxembourgish.

Nobody here wants that Luxembourgish teams play in the Belgian League :evil:
moro

Post by moro »

Hey, I'm buying gas in Luxembourg (0.2 euro/l cheaper) - as I live 25 km next to this beautiful town.
In fact it's like I'm playing in your "real-estate ch-ship" - because in my town house-prices are 30% bigger then "the normal" thanks to Luxembourg proximity. In fact many frenchies works there, biiiig salaries ...
I think it's a great thing for Lux to have their own ch-ship. The quality counts less - I'd prefeer to watch my team playing in third league of Lux rather then in first league of some corrupted ch-ship.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

garfield335 wrote:
Wak wrote:Things are a little bit different ; Luxembourg is a much more greater country than Monaco or Liechtenstein, which are not totally independant like Luxembourg : are part of EU, have their own currency (or since 2002, an obverse side of the Euro coin, very sought-after because being rare).
We never had our own currency,

before the Euro, we had a currency union with Belgique
Well, you had your own coins, which you could not pay with in Belgium. Other way around was possible.