Battle Portugal - Russia - France for 5th & 6th places

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
nemesys

Post by nemesys »

Aliceag wrote:So we need all big 3 + Braga to perform well to win this battle.
I pretty much agree. Most likely, this is all Portugal needs, like in every other season, to keep the 5th spot; unless France and/or Russia sides raise their collective performances a bit in the next seasons, or PSG (or any other French/Russian side) makes an extraordinary dominating season scoring tons of points and filling the gap. With four sides performing on the levels you were writing about, Portugal is likely favorite, for the way Uefa ranking works, being more about average performances of all the clubs, rather than a peak performance of a single club. Moreover, once in a while sides from Portugal reach also the final phases of Uefa cups, especially in EL. France and Russia clubs must raise their collective level a little bit, to be safe from dropping 7th, and/or try to achieve the 5th place. Just my two cents. :D
Gone.
Malko

Post by Malko »

euh Portugal Big 3 ??? who would that be ?????????? LOL Even the best portuguese team would not end among the Top3 in France.
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

Benfica would finish 2nd place in France IMO
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Malko wrote:euh Portugal Big 3 ??? who would that be ?????????? LOL Even the best portuguese team would not end among the Top3 in France.
PSG would likely finish first, followed by the three top Portuguese teams, with options for Lyon and Monaco to break into the top four.

Just my opinion, based on what I saw this season.
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
FrancoisD

Post by FrancoisD »

Even Malko should be able to read the table here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primeira_ ... ce_by_club
If he did that with honesty he would be able to understand what the whole world may mean with "Big 3" when talking about Portugal.

But he is not honest, he is a troll, living in a fantasy world.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

I’m sorry, and probably I’ll regret this, but…
Why is he dishonest?
He is talking about an imaginary league, in his imagination the French teams can all be on top and the others can all be behind.

Plus, what he said was that the best Portuguese team wouldn’t be “among” the top 3 French clubs.
Porto and Benfica are way above any French team, so they aren’t among them.

Finally, why would Portugal want to merge its league with France?!
With Spain it would be interesting (the “Iberian League”), or with everybody else (European Superleague), but just with France? It would never happen.

And Portugal has two teams way above any French team, they don’t have a third, so wondering who this third mystery team is seems perfectly legitimate.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
FrancoisD

Post by FrancoisD »

Whether there can be an honest troll or not is something puzzling :)
Malko

Post by Malko »

"PSG would likely finish first, followed by the three top Portuguese teams" well my opinion is different, very different, especially what conserns Sporting Lisbone.....

Dragonite, you say : "And Portugal has two teams way above any French team," you think they are above PSG ? I don't.....They are on a level with Lyon, Monaco, Nizza.....

If Portugal merges with Spain, no more Portuguese club would play a european Cup !!!!!!! Portugal cannot merge with France, they are not neighbors....and if, there would be a field with 15 french and 5 Portuguese teams.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Malko wrote:"PSG would likely finish first, followed by the three top Portuguese teams" well my opinion is different, very different, especially what conserns Sporting Lisbone.....

Dragonite, you say : "And Portugal has two teams way above any French team," you think they are above PSG ? I don't.....They are on a level with Lyon, Monaco, Nizza.....

If Portugal merges with Spain, no more Portuguese club would play a european Cup !!!!!!! Portugal cannot merge with France, they are not neighbors....and if, there would be a field with 15 french and 5 Portuguese teams.
Malko, are we in cloud cuckoo land again :?: We're discussing games we aren't going to play. Opinion, opinion, opinion. With you, it always seems to be all or none. The idea that only Spanish teams would play in European Cups if La Liga were to merge with the Liga Primeira is ridiculous. As things are RIGHT NOW, the Portuguese Big Three might not crack the Spanish Big Three (but again they might), but Benfica, Sporting, and Porto would certainly have a shot at the next four places, and would likely take two of those (if not three) in a season of 38 games. We're not talking about KO matches here--we're talking about the "fusion" league which you have created in your imagination. Digo :!:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Malko wrote:"PSG would likely finish first, followed by the three top Portuguese teams" well my opinion is different, very different, especially what conserns Sporting Lisbone.....
Thats the sort of thing you would be laughed at for saying Malko the other way round. It's perfectly fine though for people to talk down French Football don't ever and i mean EVER dare do it the other way round.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Especially Sporting? Right now Sporting are better than Porto... In a joint league, this season, the top 3 would be:
1. PSG
2. Benfica
3. Sporting

FC Porto and Lyon would fight for 4th.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

This is comedic because if I came in here and said that I think the top three would be

Paris SG
Benfica
Lyon

You would all shout about how I'm French and biased. Even worse if Malko did it.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Zippy wrote:This is comedic because if I came in here and said that I think the top three would be

Paris SG
Benfica
Lyon

You would all shout about how I'm French and biased. Even worse if Malko did it.
Let's look at unbiased math based sources, then:

Clubelo
1. PSG
2. Benfica
3. Sporting
4. Lyon
5. FC Porto
6. Monaco

Euroclubindex
1. PSG
2. Benfica
3. Sporting
4. FC Porto
5. Lyon
6. Monaco

What about transfermarkt? Same as ECI above.

So maybe you are biased.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I actually don't give a fuck i'm just pointing out the Hypocrisy on this forum.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Zippy wrote:This is comedic because if I came in here and said that I think the top three would be

Paris SG
Benfica
Lyon

Hey, man, if this is your opinion and you've got something to base it on (for instance Lyon's fairly strong end to the season to take second place in Ligue 1), more power to you. I think Sporting and Lyon could end up in a battle for third in a "fusion league," although I do think Sporting would prevail, based on overall performance from this season.

This is how "hot stove league" arguments go--most of them aren't very balanced, tending toward "we'd leave you in the mud" or other such foolishness.

Ain't life grand :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: