CLGS 3rd round

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

Dragonite,

you overrate the WC / EC games, there are only 7 of them, hardly a statistical significance.

They can be very random -- remember Salvatore Schillaci, the best scorer from Italia '90 ?
He hasn't done much either before or after that.

Or consider your "own" Fernando Gomes (from 1980-s), "the Goal Machine", yet not very
successful at your "1st and 2nd level" competitions (WC, EC).
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

rrey1 wrote:Dragonite,

you overrate the WC / EC games, there are only 7 of them, hardly a statistical significance.

They can be very random -- remember Salvatore Schillaci, the best scorer from Italia '90 ?

Or consider your "own" Fernando Gomes (from 1980-s), "the Goal Machine", yet not very
Éder’s goal in Euro 2016 final is more important than 100 domestic league goals.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

This is the point here.
If Éder scores 10 goals for Académica + 20 for Braga + 30 for Swansea + 40 for Lille in the Portuguese, English and French leagues, he’s still a “nobody” to me.
While if he scores once in Euro 2016 final, he’s a “legend”.

Guys that shine in 5th rank competitions and then choke when they get to the big stages are frauds to me, “fake heroes”.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Dragonite wrote:
rrey1 wrote:Dragonite,

Éder’s goal in Euro 2016 final is more important than 100 domestic league goals.

Do you agree or disagree with this?

This is the point here.
If Éder scores 10 goals for Académica + 20 for Braga + 30 for Swansea + 40 for Lille in the Portuguese, English and French leagues, he’s still a “nobody” to me.
While if he scores once in Euro 2016 final, he’s a “legend”.

Guys that shine in 5th rank competitions and then choke when they get to the big stages are frauds to me, “fake heroes”.
There's a false binary going on here. Its entirely possible to go down in history by being in the right place at the right time, and still objectively be a mediocre player. Conversely, someone like George Weah doesn't become a bad player because Liberia are a minnow.
No to Superleague
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

Yeah, hard to understand why Bayern didn't try to swap Lewandowski for Éder, as the pole never scored such a big goal and probably never will. Or maybe they did but Lille obviously rejected. Also, what's wrong with Man Utd signing Ibra when they could have tried to sign Éder.

Éder is a legend now, no doubt about it, that moment will never be forgotten. Just like Kelvin earned his place in FC Porto's museum thanks to that one goal that was worth a title. But Éder doesn't magically go from mediocre to world class because of one moment. A world class player has to prove it constantly.
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Dragonite,

Now I understand why we do disagree - for you european cups are more important than domestic results.
Luckily you are not a Besiktas fan, sometimes you would get boring years (without EL/CL participations). Or if you were a Valetta fan, your season would end up in June already. Unless you would then watch domestic league games because otherwise you're getting bored.

So let's say Aboubakar scores 5 goals in this CL group, but noone in Turkish league during the entire season. With your logic, Aboubakar would have had a great season and is a great striker. Here I would disagree, I would largely prefer him to score between 20-30 goals in the league and helps us becoming champions.
Black Eagles 1903
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

bjkman1903 wrote:Dragonite,

Now I understand why we do disagree - for you european cups are more important than domestic results.
Luckily you are not a Besiktas fan, sometimes you would get boring years (without EL/CL participations). Or if you were a Valetta fan, your season would end up in June already. Unless you would then watch domestic league games because otherwise you're getting bored.

So let's say Aboubakar scores 5 goals in this CL group, but noone in Turkish league during the entire season. With your logic, Aboubakar would have had a great season and is a great striker. Here I would disagree, I would largely prefer him to score between 20-30 goals in the league and helps us becoming champions.
First and foremost I’m a fan of competitions, regardless of the teams involved, so they’ve always the same length. :wink:
A Benfica-Napoli-Dynamo Kiev-Besiktas group is interesting, but if it was Braga-Roma-Shakhtar-Fenerbahçe it would be equally interesting to me.

I’m curious to also see Aboubakar’s performance in the African Nations Cup in a few months.
That’s also a big stage, he hasn’t scored a single goal in 2015, let’s see if he can do better this time. :)
Records and Statistics:
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Thunder_PT wrote:Yeah, hard to understand why Bayern didn't try to swap Lewandowski for Éder, as the pole never scored such a big goal and probably never will. Or maybe they did but Lille obviously rejected. Also, what's wrong with Man Utd signing Ibra when they could have tried to sign Éder.

Éder is a legend now, no doubt about it, that moment will never be forgotten. Just like Kelvin earned his place in FC Porto's museum thanks to that one goal that was worth a title. But Éder doesn't magically go from mediocre to world class because of one moment. A world class player has to prove it constantly.
Yes, I’m really going to start rating players based on Manchester United’s recruiting policies.
A club that five years ago was one of Europe’s top 5 and now isn’t even one of Europe’s top 20, what does it say about their recent recruiting policy?
And in this era they were one of Europe’s biggest spenders (perhaps even #1), so it’s not a matter of a once rich club than is becoming poorer (or not so rich, calling them poor is offensive).

“Ibra” (how cute, he even has a nickname) is a useless player; Manchester United will never recover from their decadence with players like this.
They may do it despite him, not because of him. He’s a parasite.
Records and Statistics:
Zarastro

Post by Zarastro »

Thunder_PT wrote:Yeah, hard to understand why Bayern didn't try to swap Lewandowski for Éder, as the pole never scored such a big goal and probably never will. Or maybe they did but Lille obviously rejected. Also, what's wrong with Man Utd signing Ibra when they could have tried to sign Éder.

Well, Lewandowski did score four goals against Real Madrid in a CL SF which I'd call big goals.
ignjat63

Post by ignjat63 »

Talking about Bayern attackers I especially liked Elber in the 90s. What is his status today? How good is he considered to be?
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

ignjat63 wrote:Talking about Bayern attackers I especially liked Elber in the 90s. What is his status today? How good is he considered to be?
Can't answer your question, but you call to mind one of the great "bestias negras" of Spanish teams--this guy was always GREAT against us, or so it seems in retrospect. Killed us time and again :!:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."