Olympic Games

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

@Michael:

Replay coming up after commercial break by NBC.

Well, so far they lied--went straight to second half.

I have to leave in about 15 minutes--watch and enjoy--but I'll be back for Spain-Japan. :D

Post by 1 »

Karolina should be from another planet 8)
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

2-1 Honduras.

So far my record of being a good luck mascot for Honduran football going back a decade or so is still working! :lol:
Todor

Post by Todor »

Michael S Collins wrote:2-1 Honduras.

So far my record of being a good luck mascot for Honduran football going back a decade or so is still working! :lol:
Not anymore, unless they count the draw as a success :lol:
Michael S Collins

Getting sent off for violence at the Olympics is a hell of a thing to put on your CV! :rollfloor:
Nixda

Post by Nixda »

Liam DUFC wrote: Edit: Also, @SHEV, I imagine the reason for the inconsistency is that athletes born before 1991 were born in the USSR and so may consider themselves Russian even though they were born in Ukraine.
In the second case its that way. When she was born that City was part of USSR and Russia is recognized as the continuing legal personality of the Soviet state.

But in the first case, she was born in 1995, it probably is a error. As Ukraine became independant in 1991.

Post by 1 »

Nixda wrote:In the second case its that way. When she was born that City was part of USSR and Russia is recognized as the continuing legal personality of the Soviet state.
well it's wrong. if the country of birth has changed, its name during that date is written. not the name of its present-day legal successor. actually this even applies to cities. Constantine XI wasnt born in "İstanbul" at all

let's say we are in 1965 and we are writing birthplace of somebody who were born in 1898, in Moscow. it's wrong to write "Born in Moscow, USSR". it should be "Moscow, Russian Empire"
Michael S Collins

An example would be the actor Yul Brynner, whose place of birth was referred to as Vladivostok, Far Eastern Republic: an independent state which only lasted two and a half years!
Falco

Post by Falco »

I always thought it would be cool if a team had to travel to Vladivistock in European competition, not sure if it's ever happened.

Back on topic, I wonder if the Gabonese fans ever sing "...it's just like watching Brazil.." :)
Michael S Collins

Falco wrote:I always thought it would be cool if a team had to travel to Vladivistock in European competition, not sure if it's ever happened.

Back on topic, I wonder if the Gabonese fans ever sing "...it's just like watching Brazil.." :)
Me too!

Especially a British side, we complain about travelling to the Ukraine or Poland... :lol:
HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee »

Went to today's Hampden games - really enjoyed both. Lovely goals from Morocco, and Japan could've thrashed Spain: missed numerous chances.

Attendance 37,726... excellent considering weekday afternoon etc.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

@HibeeJibee:

Envy, envy--glad you could go and enjoyed. You're certainly correct about Spain-Japan; I'll quote myself from p.5 above:

WE WERE AWFUL.
acs4rover

Post by acs4rover »

so Belarus was only European team who won in 1st matchday, after they eliminated Czech Republic in olympic play off i wish them good luck
HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee »

Only other men's game in Scotland is Egypt-Belarus on Wednesday, hope to get to that and see Belarus in action.

Although they played an exciting game - I think Morocco/Honduras are up against it to progress from Group D. Spain will (surely?) improve.
SHEV

Post by SHEV »

Falco wrote:I always thought it would be cool if a team had to travel to Vladivistock in European competition, not sure if it's ever happened.
In Russian Premier League 2006 Luch-Energia from Vladivostok finished 7-th just two places below UEFA Cup qualification. So there was good possibility. Now they are not even in division 1. Next team to be afraid of is Enissey Krasnoyarsk from division 1 which is in CET+7 so you imagine how far. And still twice as closer than Vladivostok )