WC 2018 Playoffs

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Duketown

Post by Duketown »

nogomet wrote:I feel sorry for Italy, but this means Croatia is in Pot 2.

So...

:banana: WE CANNOT DRAW MEXICO :banana:
Agree.. Mexico and France are the most dangerous outsiders.
Interested in football economics, trends, TPO, FFP, annual reports, stadium development & transfers. Accurate sources are Football leaks, UEFA club reports 2016, UEFA benchmark reports, KPMG, Deloitte, Asser Institute, CIES, FifPro.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Sweden wanted it more. Going to the World Cup by eliminating Netherlands and Italy must be glorious as a fan.

And the list of big victims might not yet be complete...
Di_Gule

Post by Di_Gule »

We beat France, Netherlands and Italy in Sweden why are people surprised we have gone through, We won Euro under 21 2 years ago. we aren't some minnow who has suddenly turned good like Iceland. We have history of qualifying.
Hjärtat slår IF Elfsborg.

Member of the Henrik Lundqvist fan club since year 2000.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Lorric wrote:Sweden wanted it more. Going to the World Cup by eliminating Netherlands and Italy must be glorious as a fan.

Neither Denmark nor Peru nor Australia are "big". Not even close to Italy.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Firnen wrote:
Lorric wrote:Sweden wanted it more. Going to the World Cup by eliminating Netherlands and Italy must be glorious as a fan.

Neither Denmark nor Peru nor Australia are "big". Not even close to Italy.
Sweden's list of victims. They might KO others at the World Cup.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Disappointing Italy couldn`t score during 180 minutes one single goal against stoic Sweden who defended well for most of the time. Maybe this Italy won`t be missed as much as I`ve thought in Russia.
Duketown

Post by Duketown »

No.. this Swedish team is nothing special. Play offs are a lottery and they couldn't beat an incomplete the Netherlands. Even, a ref decision was needed to bring in a single point.

But Zlatan will maybe back....
Interested in football economics, trends, TPO, FFP, annual reports, stadium development & transfers. Accurate sources are Football leaks, UEFA club reports 2016, UEFA benchmark reports, KPMG, Deloitte, Asser Institute, CIES, FifPro.
Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

subway14 wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:
subway14 wrote: it is a normal thing that in Europe it's harder to qualify than in other continents
That's where we disagree. It shouldn't be. At least not this much more difficult.
so what do you wanna do then, if you have more good teams in Europe than in other continents it's always gonna be harder to qualify from there
If Europe had more spots and continents like Africa and Asia had less, we could reach a point where the strongest European team not qualifying wouldn't be stronger than the weakest Asian/African teams qualifying. This being a World Cup, it's OK to have weaker continents over-represented, if Australia were in the OFC I'd even agree to a direct spot for that continent just to ensure representation, but they're overdoing it, especially in the 48 team WC.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Sweden is nothing special I agree, they have a rather boring playstyle, they are in many ways similar to Northern Ireland. Many of their players play in mediocre to bad teams for European standards. It is a big surprise that that they managed to hold against Italy.
kaerin

Post by kaerin »

I liked Sweden too but not this type of Sweden. They defended so well like real Italy from its glorious days, but it shouldnt be Sweden's real strength. That was really suprising.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Thunder_PT wrote:
subway14 wrote:
Thunder_PT wrote:
That's where we disagree. It shouldn't be. At least not this much more difficult.
so what do you wanna do then, if you have more good teams in Europe than in other continents it's always gonna be harder to qualify from there
This being a World Cup, it's OK to have weaker continents over-represented
Why?
Carson

Post by Carson »

Enjoyed that still have a horrible taste in my mouth about the Italians since the 2006 World Cup.

We'll most likely join you though soon enough in enjoying the tournament from our TV Screens at Home.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

The only over-represented continent is Europe, with FOURTEEN spots. :sigh:

But I understand the losers' consolation of dreaming that they are still one of the World's best 16 (?) teams, and they were just "unlucky" to be in this so-called super hard region. :roll:

They would surely prevail against the likes of Paraguay, New Zealand, Costa Rica... :mrgreen:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
kaerin

Post by kaerin »

Carson wrote:Enjoyed that still have a horrible taste in my mouth about the Italians since the 2006 World Cup.

We'll most likely join you though soon enough in enjoying the tournament from our TV Screens at Home.
Well why, Italy deserved to win that tourney.
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

Wow. Congratulations Sweden. Beating WC multifinalist Netherlands and 4 times WC champions Italy. Amazing achievement. That is going to a WC in style. The strongest possible path. Now, Unfair that Italy is not in the WC, FIFA need to change asap the ranking, probably weighting equal the last 4~5 years would be a very simple improvement. I would go far. Last century champions should have a spot in the WC, without participating in qualifiers.