Euro 2020

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

amirbachar wrote: There is a major bug... The events are not independent, for example for both Germany and The Netherlands not to qualify means not only Northern Ireland pass both of them, but also another team from that group, which is very very unlikely.
The probabilities are taken from that general simulation (linked) of qualifiers, before draw - therefore the question about how likely it is for Germany to fail and neither win the group nor be runners-up was taken as 0.6% for approximation (this was just an example for reasonable chances). Yes, specific groups have somewhat different probabilities... as mentionned right at the beginning of the text. Whatever approach, that can be fixed easily, thanks.

One major bug is this:
I have only the possibility for Netherlands/Germany to end up in UNL play-offs with Croatia/Poland specifically, dependant incidents of course. Here the other independant incidents of having Netherlands/Germany with every other possible combination of 2 division A teams should be added (same with only 1 or zero other division A team joining them).
I clearly 'over-simplified' it a bit too much there with the ~0.05% (summary of these independant possibilities still leaving Netherlands/Germany in play-offs is somewhat higher).

The funny thing - though - is this:
According to your table I was 'reasonably close' :wink:
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Vickzq wrote:
amirbachar wrote: There is a major bug... The events are not independent, for example for both Germany and The Netherlands not to qualify means not only Northern Ireland pass both of them, but also another team from that group, which is very very unlikely.
The probabilities are taken from that general simulation (linked) of qualifiers, before draw - therefore the question about how likely it is for Germany to fail and neither win the group nor be runners-up was taken as 0.6% for approximation (this was just an example for reasonable chances). Yes, specific groups have somewhat different probabilities... as mentionned right at the beginning of the text. Whatever approach, that can be fixed easily, thanks.

One major bug is this:
I have only the possibility for Netherlands/Germany to end up in UNL play-offs with Croatia/Poland specifically, dependant incidents of course. Here the other independant incidents of having Netherlands/Germany with every other possible combination of 2 division A teams should be added (same with only 1 or zero other division A team joining them).
I clearly 'over-simplified' it a bit too much there with the ~0.05% (summary of these independant possibilities still leaving Netherlands/Germany in play-offs is somewhat higher).

The funny thing - though - is this:
According to your table I was 'reasonably close' :wink:
I meant that your probability of Germany and The Netherlands meeting for the 5th time (given they are in the same group of course, otherwise it is 0%) is really over-estimated.
Other than that, for each team separately your assumptions were really reasonable, and you got really close to the simulations as you said :)
As I said, in the evening I will simulate the matches again, and provide a matrix with all possible match ups in the Playoffs for the semi finals and the finals, as I think it may be very interesting.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Heh. Well, we've come full circle:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46430865

No gaming the system for you anymore Wales. :tongue:

Not that it matters with FIFA's new ranking system.
LRansborg

Post by LRansborg »

If I was from Gibraltar, I would feel left out for BBC highlighting RoI but not Gibraltar...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

so 5 teams have to play a friendly. At least one of them has to find a partner outside of Europe as it's an odd number.
Weird....
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

CONCACAF's top 6 will be free and eager to play to gear up for the Gold Cup. They would be good options if you can't play European.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Ricardo wrote:so 5 teams have to play a friendly. At least one of them has to find a partner outside of Europe as it's an odd number.
Weird....
In June their is just 1 team without a match in both matchdays (since the other 4 "free" teams play in the Nations League finals), so they have no other choise then to play a team from outside Europe.
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

amirbachar wrote: ...
As I said, in the evening I will simulate the matches again, and provide a matrix with all possible match ups in the Playoffs for the semi finals and the finals, as I think it may be very interesting.
Sure sounds interesting - always good to see and learn something new :applause:
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Forza AZ wrote:
Ricardo wrote:so 5 teams have to play a friendly. At least one of them has to find a partner outside of Europe as it's an odd number.
Weird....
In June their is just 1 team without a match in both matchdays (since the other 4 "free" teams play in the Nations League finals), so they have no other choise then to play a team from outside Europe.
That would be Slovakia and Croatia. Both Americas and Africa will be playing their tournaments, so I guess they'll be playing Asian opposition in June.
Witkop1983

Post by Witkop1983 »

for Slovakia it would really make sense to play an away friendly in Iran on june 7 or 8. That way you wont have a big trip ahead of your game on June 11 in Azerbaijan.
HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee »

Croatia and Slovakia could play each other in a friendly on Tue 4th or Wed 5th June? Ok, they'll meet competitively in September - but it's an option?
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Vickzq wrote:
amirbachar wrote: ...
Sure sounds interesting - always good to see and learn something new :applause:
There you go guys, all the match-up probabilities in one file.
Remember that in case of a semi final, the higher seeded team is the host, and in the final it's random.
To answer the probability of a 5th meeting question, Germany and The Netherlands has 0.01% of meeting, for Denmark and Ireland it's 0.53%, and for Finland and Greece it's 0.4%.
Belarus and Georgia are the most probable to meet with 84.3%.

Full results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

HibeeJibee wrote:Croatia and Slovakia could play each other in a friendly on Tue 4th or Wed 5th June? Ok, they'll meet competitively in September - but it's an option?
No, they each have a competitive game and a friendly on opposite dates.
YAYgee

Post by YAYgee »

Weird....
Are they forced to play other national teams or can they play club teams instead?
HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee »

Lorric wrote:
HibeeJibee wrote:Croatia and Slovakia could play each other in a friendly on Tue 4th or Wed 5th June? Ok, they'll meet competitively in September - but it's an option?
No, they each have a competitive game and a friendly on opposite dates.
You can play friendlies when you like though. Last month Scotland played Albania on Sat + Israel on Tue; Israel played Guatemala previous Wed/Thu.