CL 2018-19 - Round of 16

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

So, that's a pretty landmark VAR decision for me. A penalty given to Schalke for handball. His arm was at his side and he tried to move it, so it was neither deliberate or unnatural position, but it was still given. It was a clean hit on the arm, it wouldn't have just hit the body if the arm wasn't there.

It's slammed in, 1-1.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Next penalty for Schalke... goal, 2-1.
Last edited by greenbay on Wed Feb 20, 2019 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

greenbay wrote:
bugylibicska wrote:Controversial VAR rules against the original ref's decision, so no penalty for fouling Diego Costa.
Not controversial at all. Foul happened outside the box.
Yes, I've seen it. I've said controversial regarding the VAR, but not this decision.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Schalke get another penalty. This one is smashed in as well, 2-1.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Lorric wrote:So, that's a pretty landmark VAR decision for me. A penalty given to Schalke for handball. His arm was at his side and he tried to move it, so it was neither deliberate or unnatural position, but it was still given. It was a clean hit on the arm, it wouldn't have just hit the body if the arm wasn't there.
Since years, I'm arguing for exactly this to become a rule. If the arm is not next to the waist, and therefore the ball is stopped just because of that, it's a penalty, everytime. It would spare us all those endless debates in the future.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Todor

Post by Todor »

The understanding here is that it is a penalty if the arm prevents a shot going into the goal
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

greenbay wrote:
Lorric wrote:So, that's a pretty landmark VAR decision for me. A penalty given to Schalke for handball. His arm was at his side and he tried to move it, so it was neither deliberate or unnatural position, but it was still given. It was a clean hit on the arm, it wouldn't have just hit the body if the arm wasn't there.
Since years, I'm arguing for exactly this to become a rule. If the arm is not next to the waist, and therefore the ball is stopped just because of that, it's a penalty, everytime.
It's not a penalty by the letter of the rules, but it is by the way referees give penalties. Because of that I expected it to be given. It doesn't bother me, even though it was at his side, it stopped that shot. If it had hit arm and body I'd think different.

So, HT 2-1. Three goals, two primarily because of idiocy and one primarily because of luck.
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Lorric wrote:It's not a penalty by the letter of the rules, but it is by the way referees give penalties. Because of that I expected it to be given. It doesn't bother me, even though it was at his side, it stopped that shot. If it had hit arm and body I'd think different.
Same here. If defender's body would stop the ball anyway, then of course no penalty.
Malko

Post by Malko »

What happens in gelsenkirchen ? Will it be the surprise of the round? The sts say City monopizes the ball, schalke only two shots on target, ...the 2 penalties....City 7 shots.
C'mon City !
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

So is nobody else watching the BIG game :wink: --Atleti 0, Juve 0 at the half :?: Great first half--no holds barred, no quarter asked, none given; total up-tempo. Oblak with a very nice save of a bullet by CR7. I don't predict often, but :!: This game will end 0-0, 1-0, or 0-1.
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Malko

Post by Malko »

In luxembourgish TV , the commentor Jeff Kennemeyer said that we soon can abolish the first legs, when we see games like yesterday and today.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Malko wrote:In luxembourgish TV , the commentor Jeff Kennemeyer said that we soon can abolish the first legs, when we see games like yesterday and today.
What an idiotic comment :!: Some of the best games I've attended have ended 0-0 . . . of course, some of the worst have too :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Or is he really talking about the Schalke-Man. City game :?:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Well, that's not good for UEFA and their VAR debut. The ref wanted to see the screen on that penalty, but it wasn't working... :roll:

At the time it had me wondering if UEFA were using a model where the vidref had seniority over the on-field ref.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

AlanK wrote:So is nobody else watching the BIG game :wink: --Atleti 0, Juve 0 at the half :?: Great first half--no holds barred, no quarter asked, none given; total up-tempo. Oblak with a very nice save of a bullet by CR7. I don't predict often, but :!: This game will end 0-0, 1-0, or 0-1.
What a miss by Diego Costa! :shock:
I'm leaning towards Juventus in this match, but I thought that Costa might put a goal for Atleti...
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Diego Costa should have scored, but shot wide.