UEFA Nations League 2018/19

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
YAYgee

Post by YAYgee »

BurningStorm wrote:I don't know what it is, could you explain it? A figure like the "zwarte Piet" in the Netherlands? :P Looks like the German word "Memme" is a different thing.
Of course I don't mind explaining it in detail. Such a lovely subject.
To translate the Dutch word "memmen" you could go with "mammaries", from Latin "mamma" or breast of a woman or a female animal, but I prefer milkies. It's odd that it means something completely different in German but then again Germans are weird.
The synonyms from the link:
- titties = tieten
- bosom = boezem
- breasts = borsten
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

YAYgee wrote: - titties = tieten
- bosom = boezem
- breasts = borsten
Yes, I already learnded that from 'Polder' - but can't hurt to refresh it :wink:
BurningStorm wrote: The hardest word in German was "Memme", which means "crybaby".
Don't worry, you can keep your respect. It's not like others can't sleep without it - certainly won't cry because of it.

Now I wonder how the final draw will look like, AND the draw for the qualifiers, too.
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

The semifinals will be Portugal vs. Switzerland and England vs. Holland. :rupor:

Portugal and Switzerland will have an extra day to rest for the final or third place match.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Dragonite wrote:The semifinals will be Portugal vs. Switzerland and England vs. Holland. :rupor:

Portugal and Switzerland will have an extra day to rest for the final or third place match.
Yes, I was just coming to post. Things have been laid out perfectly for you. The trophy is yours to lose.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Lorric wrote:
Dragonite wrote:The semifinals will be Portugal vs. Switzerland and England vs. Holland. :rupor:

Yes, I was just coming to post. Things have been laid out perfectly for you. The trophy is yours to lose.
"You"? :?

"I" don't play the Nations League, I'm a spectator, just like you I suppose. I don't win or lose, I just watch. :wink:
Records and Statistics:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Dragonite wrote:
Lorric wrote:

"I" don't play the Nations League, I'm a spectator, just like you I suppose. I don't win or lose, I just watch. :wink:
Your team. :smile1:
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

It’s not MY team; it’s Fernando Santos’ team. If it was my team it would be very different. :wink:
Records and Statistics:
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

Dragonite wrote:
Lorric wrote:

Apart from the fact that we all just watch and do not win or loose ourself :D ...
Both semis are actually quite interesting and far from decided. For the England vs. Netherlands I would not know how might be favorite... and for the Portugal vs. Switzerland, I consider the portuguese as somewhat in advantage - but since both teams know each other quite well now, and that 'special game' vs Portugal IN Portugal already happened once, some preparation might turn that one into a 50-50%, too. That much for the semis, I am not talking about winners now...
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Long story short: the Portuguese national teams are a tool used by Benfica and Sporting to pretend that they’re as good as or better than Porto.
Even now in the Nations League it is being used to promote “nobodies” like Rúben Dias or Pizzi.

They’ll probably sacrifice this EL trophy too, because Switzerland and then England/Holland won’t be as easy as Italy and Poland were.
Records and Statistics:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

VAR is to be used in Portugal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48494968

:smile1:
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

The reason given in Holland to like this NL is that 'it might be a valuable title in the future and then it's nice to have it'
Actual saying it is not a valuable title at the moment....
nice :D
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Ricardo wrote:The reason given in Holland to like this NL is that 'it might be a valuable title in the future and then it's nice to have it'
I've heard that reasoning here too. With it being England, it's been brought up about how we declined to participate in the first World Cups and look at how that decision looks today. The Nations League could be comparable in the future.

Personally I think this will become a prestigious tournament in time. For me it already is, everyone's in it, everyone's treating it seriously and I am fond of the format. What more do I need?
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

Ricardo wrote:The reason given in Holland to like this NL is that 'it might be a valuable title in the future and then it's nice to have it'
The good thing about the UNL is this: It still feels like a real football tournament fans can actually enjoy.
With all that crap going on within UEFA to potentially reform european club competitions to the point, where champions league might get a "league format" (hoping to start a mixed super-league with only the absolute top leagues)... and inventing something stupid like "europa league 2" as an excuse, because others still want to compete... compared to that the UNL feels straightforward, a rather simple competition with the best european teams involved.

If that's not good enough to make the "stars" fight for it, you can already bet the joy to play football apparently means less than the millions they could make somewhere else. But that's not why football became #1.
- old chinese proverb
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

in my humble opinion it should become the equivalent of say the Confederations' Cup. I can't see the Nations League being seen as an equivalent of a Euro because of its format, but should this competition be played a couple of times, I tend to think that yes it should be an equivalent of the Confederations' Cup. A good competition to win but cannot be considered as a major title.
We'll see.

Anyway I have to say that the qualifiers were a success. We had a couple of games which were worth watching and the level was very decent.
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Friesland

Post by Friesland »

Both teams seem extremely nervous.

In some sense the competition is like the complete opposite of the EURO. At the EURO you can qualify for the knock-out stage by finishing third, in this competition you must win your group to qualify for the knock-out stage. Also, the KO stage at the EURO is four rounds, while the KO stage in this competition is only two rounds. I.e. the essence of this competition is more in the group stage, while the essence of the EURO is more centred around the knock out stage. I also like the fact that this competition has a bronze medal match. In my opinion a real tournament ought to have a bronze medal match!