2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Witkop1983 wrote:With scores like this at the world cup you just know something is wrong with the qualification system
Wrong. This is due to the ripple effect of the North Korea doping scandal. NK were back for qualifying, but a bottom seed and South Korea, the only top seed with any realistic chance of stopping them is who they drew (the big guns qualified directly to the Asian Cup), and they knocked them out in an upset by holding them to a draw and doing a better job beating on the minnows. So this allowed Thailand to be the second team in pot 3 at the Asian Cup. They were lucky and got drawn into tournament host Jordan's group, and so finished second in it and qualified directly.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Witkop1983 wrote:With scores like this at the world cup you just know something is wrong with the qualification system
Women's football looks a bit like baseball: about 20-25 countries can form a decent team, the rest are barely amateurs.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Germany 1, La Roja Féminas 0 "Our" women's team has come a long way--they looked quite competitive out there today. The only problem: "el remate"--i.e. "finishing." Lucía García looks like a player--both against South Africa and against Germany. Will Vilda use her from the get-go against China :?:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

11 June 2019: USA - Thailand 13:0
06 July 2018: Thailand - Cambodia 11:0
30 June 2018: Cambodia - East Timor 12:0

How bad must East Timor be if they can lose 12:0 to a team that lost 11:0 to a team that lost 13:0? :shock:
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

AlanK wrote:Germany 1, La Roja Féminas 0 "Our" women's team has come a long way--they looked quite competitive out there today. The only problem: "el remate"--i.e. "finishing." Lucía García looks like a player--both against South Africa and against Germany. Will Vilda use her from the get-go against China :?:
And likely meeting US in the 1/8-finals if I have read the tournament tree correctly. That will be quite a game. As you write, I think Spain looked quite good against Germany, but the finishing wasn't good enough
Chambord

Post by Chambord »

bugylibicska wrote:11 June 2019: USA - Thailand 13:0
06 July 2018: Thailand - Cambodia 11:0
30 June 2018: Cambodia - East Timor 12:0

How bad must East Timor be if they can lose 12:0 to a team that lost 11:0 to a team that lost 13:0? :shock:
Have a hunch East Timor beat someone 10:0 in May 2018 :) Would make sense. These scores look like a virus to me. Totally contagious.
If I was US WNT I'd be worried.

And how's West Timor doing ?
2018 FA Cup winner
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

10.3m viewers for the France - Norway game yesterday (almost 41% market share!).
New record for women football in France
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I have current quarterfinls:
Norway England
France USA
Australia Canada
Germany Netherlands

semi finals
England USA
Canada Germany

final
USA Germany
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Here's something amusing, talking about USA celebrating goals in the 13-0:
Former Canada players Clare Rustad and Kaylyn Kyle could not believe what they were seeing.

"I just think they could have won with some humility and grace, and they just couldn’t manage to do that," Rustad said on TSN's broadcast.

"Celebrating goals later in the game like this is just completely unnecessary. What is this?"

Kyle went even harder, saying: “They’re the No.1 team in the world and for me, I’m disgusted, honestly.

"You’re going up against a team that’s first time in the World Cup, they’re just happy to be there. Celebrate, I get it, like a Mallory Pugh.

"But these people counting their goals, this … I’m embarrassed. I was a female professional athlete; there’s kids watching this and to be celebrating when it’s eight, nine, 10 …
Pay attention to the bolded part. Thailand were in the last World Cup. You know, :rupor: the one you guys hosted. And, far from just being happy to be there, they won a match, beating Ivory Coast 3-2.

So, who is being disrespectful here?
subway14

Post by subway14 »

yeah I don't like it when people say that when you're leading by a big margin you can't play full strength anymore or celebrate goals :roll:
subway14

Post by subway14 »

Ricardo wrote:I have current quarterfinls:
Norway England
France USA
Australia Canada
Germany Netherlands

semi finals
England USA
Canada Germany

final
USA Germany
and winner? :lol:
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

subway14 wrote:yeah I don't like it when people say that when you're leading by a big margin you can't play full strength anymore or celebrate goals :roll:
To stop playing would potentially even influence the tournament (scores?), although unlikely... and some teams are still much better than others when they play "practice style" - not criticizing anybody for playing full time.
The other part is the celebration routine - would have been welcome to cut it a bit down... and not do the "full choreo" from the 1-0 up to the 13-0 EVERY TIME.

Winning high score with style? Watch Germany in the 2020 qualifiers.

Women's football main deficit at the moment is the lack of a representative number of teams for a tournament like the world cup - 10-to-nothing scorelines aren't rare, even among the so-called "best 24 teams of the world" at WC; I remember a recent world cup when they had similar results atleast 3-4 times during the very same group stage overall.
If they could "fix" that, the higher competition would help to improve overall quality by simple "competition" almost magically "by itself".
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

mspm89 wrote:
Women's football looks a bit like baseball: about 20-25 countries can form a decent team, the rest are barely amateurs.
You are a bit too optimistic I guess... unless you didn't mean "amateurs" when you wrote amateurs. There are BY NO MEANS AND NEVER 25 fully professional national teams available world wide in women's football :roll:
Even the much better ones have atleast some semi-professionals - only VERY FEW teams have a fully professional squad available... literally "a handful".
That's one of the reasons why a team like the USA can overpower opponents over 90+ min. They put a lot of effort in building up muscles, too... they probably spend more time in a gym than most other teams can even afford to spend for football practice overall.
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

The Australia fun train is riding again. 0-2 down, now equalizing to 2-2. Plenty of chances in both ends.
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Diouf wrote:The Australia fun train is riding again. 0-2 down, now equalizing to 2-2. Plenty of chances in both ends.
And 3-2 to Australia :shock: is the final score--Sam Kerr was NOT one of the Australian scorers :!:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."