2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

France 1-0 up. What to do for Nigeria now? They also have received a red card. 538's live update gives Nigeria a 45% chance to progress right now, so almost a 50/50 situation. With a player less, it will be difficult to do much offensively, so perhaps the best option is to try to defend that 0-1 deficit.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

I hope that the goalkeepers have been briefed about VAR now also checking whether goalkeepers move illegally off the line. It is not directly logically implied from the 4 VAR categories, and I haven't seen it used this way before. It would be totally okay to start actually whistling after this rule, especially as the new version is a bit more leninent for goalkeepers, but it has hopefully been communicated out. Otherwise it's kind of rough to suddenly start using it.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

In 538, Nigeria is at 57% chance to progress after this result, so very much on the line. They are at 3p -2
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Diouf wrote:I hope that the goalkeepers have been briefed about VAR now also checking whether goalkeepers move illegally off the line. It is not directly logically implied from the 4 VAR categories, and I haven't seen it used this way before. It would be totally okay to start actually whistling after this rule, especially as the new version is a bit more leninent for goalkeepers, but it has hopefully been communicated out. Otherwise it's kind of rough to suddenly start using it.
I found it harsh too but apparently there was a similar situation for the Italy-Jamaica game and the penalty was kicked a second time too.

France qualified but need to seriously improve for the KO games, possibly vs. Brazil in the Last 16, then if they advance the US in quarters.
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Witkop1983

Post by Witkop1983 »

Lyonnais wrote:
Diouf wrote:I hope that the goalkeepers have been briefed about VAR now also checking whether goalkeepers move illegally off the line. It is not directly logically implied from the 4 VAR categories, and I haven't seen it used this way before. It would be totally okay to start actually whistling after this rule, especially as the new version is a bit more leninent for goalkeepers, but it has hopefully been communicated out. Otherwise it's kind of rough to suddenly start using it.
I found it harsh too but apparently there was a similar situation for the Italy-Jamaica game and the penalty was kicked a second time too.

France qualified but need to seriously improve for the KO games, possibly vs. Brazil in the Last 16, then if they advance the US in quarters.
Well..... this is a bit harsh for Nigeria...... especially because the penalty kick wasn't taken a third time (in both the first and second time French players were already in the box, so the goal scored shouldn't count....)

(but it happens all the time, i know)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Both replays of the penalty was due to the same VAR: Makkellie from Holland

I hope other VAR will act the same way, please. it was harsh in both situations, as the goalkeeper didn't had an advantage due to it.....

And yes, they should also check if players run too early into the box. That is also done wrong too often...
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Diouf wrote:In 538, Nigeria is at 57% chance to progress after this result, so very much on the line. They are at 3p -2
Futbolmetrix largely agrees with 3p and -2 giving around 50% chance of progress.

3 pts, GD=-1: 99.5% chance of advancing
3 pts, GD=-2: 53.1%
3 pts, GD=-3: 6.9%
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Ricardo wrote:Both replays of the penalty was due to the same VAR: Makkellie from Holland

I hope other VAR will act the same way, please. it was harsh in both situations, as the goalkeeper didn't had an advantage due to it.....

And yes, they should also check if players run too early into the box. That is also done wrong too often...
I just saw Referee blog Law5 referred to this from the updates Laws of the game.

VAR can look at "offence by goalkeeper and/or kicker at the taking of a penalty kick or encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper".

So if I understand correctly, VAR should always look at the keeper and penalty shooter for infringements. So since VAR can look at this very closely, it basically becomes a black/white situation whether the goalkeeper is following the rules regarding one foot on the line. For the other players, it is only looked at by VAR if they influence the game, i.e. if the penalty is missed and a rebound is caught by a players who ran too early into the box.

https://streamable.com/erlji
scapulaire24

Post by scapulaire24 »

Ricardo wrote:Both replays of the penalty was due to the same VAR: Makkellie from Holland
It was also tha same in final of WC 2018 in Russia.
Witkop1983

Post by Witkop1983 »

Jamaica the first country ever to concede a hattrick in all 3 group matches :cry: .... But they also scored a goal themselfes... :applause: :banana: :applause:
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Soft penalty for Brazil, and again one that VAR can't do much against since there is contact and the referee doesn't misview something, just bizarrely judges it enough for a penalty. All three top spots in play now. Brazil 2nd, but only one goal away from both first and third
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Australia 4-1, 4th Sam Kerr goal. Now Aussies in 2nd, Brazil down to third
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Italy and Brazil both playing the last minutes a bit weird. Italy was 1st if the score stayed the same, but continue howling the ball forward instead of retaining possession, while Brazil stayed back with several players despite having nothing to lose if they let in a goal.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Also seen in Brazil celebrating after the win...which saw them end up in 3rd place, which was more or less certain anyway. Now they will likely face France in 1/8-final, otherwise Germany. Italy finish in 1st, so the soft penalty did not hurt them in the end, and will likely face China, otherwise Nigeria. Australia in 2nd, face Norway.
scapulaire24

Post by scapulaire24 »