55 football nations in one season!

Domestic league and cup football
55footballnations

Post by 55footballnations »

55 Football Nations - a top division match in all 55 UEFA Nations in one season - successfully concluded on Saturday in Podgorica with Mladost's 1-0 win at Kom. Highlights from a cracking last leg in the Balkans includes the start of NK Maribor's resurgence, the unnecessarily beautiful Pancho Arena and an entertaining 1-1 draw between Čelik and Borac in front of 8,000. It was free to get in!

Thanks to those on this board for their help. The final fixtures are at http://55footballnations.com/schedule/ and watch out for the book next year!
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Congratulations on completing such a worthwhile (yet what I could only imagine to be tiring) journey. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed watching football from all across the 55 UEFA Nations. Hopefully you'll be able to do it again in the future.
55footballnations

dnina10 wrote:Congratulations on completing such a worthwhile (yet what I could only imagine to be tiring) journey. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed watching football from all across the 55 UEFA Nations. Hopefully you'll be able to do it again in the future.
Thanks - it was indeed tiring in bursts, but the football drove me to complete the challenge of watching top division football in all 55 UEFA nations this season.

Next up - who knows? I doubt I would repeat the same challenge, but there are 150 more FIFA members to visit!
55footballnations

Hi there,

I'm sure this will interest some on this site. My story is being published by riverrun in 'Europe United: 1 football fan. 1 crazy season. 55 UEFA nations' in hardcover and ebook on 8 August 2019.

’Europe United’ follows Matt Walker’s unprecedented challenge to experience top-division football in all 55 UEFA countries in a single season. This quest, which began in Georgia in June 2017 and ended in Montenegro eleven months later, saw Walker capture the imagination of Europe’s sporting media: covered over 80 times in 45 different countries, including TV appearances on Football Focus and BT Sport.

This epic journey would pose its challenges. Yet no amount of airport confusion in Iceland, unusual betting activity in Latvia, spectator bans in Albania, disturbances in Kosovo or ropey breakfast buffets in Moldova would make Matt miss a matchday. And then there were the games themselves: showcasing the full spectrum of footballing theatre, from the truly sublime to the utterly ridiculous.

Richard Arcus, who acquired UK and Commonwealth rights for riverrun, says: “This is the story of one fan on a once-in-a-lifetime experience: travelling to Europe’s unseen corners, talking with its unsung supporters, and tracing the beautiful game across the breadth of our brilliant, bizarre continent. It’s a fascinating and fun book for fans of the football travel genre.”

Matt Walker says: “This was an incredible adventure exploring the extremes of the European game. Football fans, from non-league to Champions League, will enjoy reading about my journey in Europe United.”

Available for pre-order at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Europe-United-f ... ted+walker
55footballnations

"A dog, a cat and 22 fans: watching European football’s worst top-flight team”, an edit of the San Marino chapter in Europe United, features my attempts to get a game in the curious microstate.

Excerpt available at http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... alker-book

More details on my mission at http://www.55footballnations.com