Euro 2020

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
seso

Post by seso »

Lusankya wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 17:53
seso wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 14:08
Lusankya wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:58

Exactly that is happening right now, isn't it?

Anyways the change is really not that big, instead of the 24 best European teams, we have the 22-23 best teams and one smaller team from league D.
So, it's not what is happening right now, right?
It is, from each league the top teams are fighting each other for the last places.
In other words, it's not what is happening right now, right? :mrgreen:
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

nogomet wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 15:35
Club-Mate wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 14:05 I want Austria to play in group F together with Germany and Hungary!
Don't we all?
yes it would be a very climate-friendly draw :applause:
njp23

Post by njp23 »

Forza AZ wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 14:16
njp23 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:08 Why UEFA paired Path A - Path D?
Wales, Finland and Winner Path D are not hosts
Wales and Finland could go to groups C or F, and Winner Path D to group A
If they had paired path A with Wales or Finland, then they would only know where they have to play their matches in March. Now they know next week.
Path D is not a problem, since the winner is also only known in March, so they can't make travel preparations any way before that.
thanks
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

seso wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 04:17
Lusankya wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 17:53
seso wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 14:08

So, it's not what is happening right now, right?
It is, from each league the top teams are fighting each other for the last places.
In other words, it's not what is happening right now, right? :mrgreen:
Maybe there is just some misunderstanding here.

We have the top teams from league D fighting for a place.
We have the top teams from league C fighting for a place.
We have the top teams from league B fighting for a place.
We have the top teams from league A fighting for a place (which is only one team, so it's joined by the best ranked teams not already qualified or in the play-offs).
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Club-Mate wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 14:05 I want Austria to play in group F together with Germany and Hungary!
Accepted. :wink1:
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

BurningStorm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48
Germany indeed would need this match at home in Munich to try to rehabilitate the 1:2 loss in Klagenfurt from last year. :D
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Club-Mate wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:12
Germany indeed would need this match at home in Munich to try to rehabilitate the 1:2 loss in Klagenfurt from last year. :D
In Germany it's almost forgotten as it was a part of the horrible 'World Cup '18 era'. :wink: Other friendlies at this time like the Saudi-Arabia game (only 2-1 thanks to ter Stegen who saved a penalty) were even worse and the World Cup was the icing on the cake, in a negative way...

I just think that Austria usually disappoint in big tournaments when I remember the EURO's '08 and '16 and home games against you and Hungary should bring us positive results to start the tournament, especially since I expect France from pot 2 in our group...
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

Having this - due to many UEFA special regulations and exceptions:
Vickzq wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 18:19 Group A: #1 Italy (host), #2 TBD, #3 TBD, #4 Finland or Wales
Group B: #1 Belgium (non-host, Ukraine not possible), #2 Russia (host), #3 Denmark (host), #4 Finland or Wales
Group C: #1 Ukraine (can't pair with Russia), #2 Netherlands (host), #3 TBD, #4 Romania (host), Georgia, Northmacedonia, Kosovo or Bielorussia
Group D: #1 England (host), #2 TBD, #3 TBD, #4 Scotland (host), Norway, Serbia or Israel
Group E: #1 Spain (host), #2 TBD, #3 TBD, #4 Ireland (host), Bosnia, Slovakia or Northern Ireland
Group F: #1 Germany (host), #2 TBD, #3 TBD, #4 Hungary (host), Iceland, Bulgaria, Georgia, Northmacedonia, Kosovo or Bielorussia
I was thinking ... : Instead of trying to press as many hosts into all the groups as possible, why not simply let (at least) a computer REALLY set ALL THE GROUPS ahead of EURO 2020 (I mean, they set up pretty much EVERYTHING except where pot #2 teams - unless it's Russia or Netherlands - will go!), in order to at least minimize travel distances of the whole tournament?
And maybe avoid UEFA Nations League 'repetitions' per regulation - so a team like Scotland, that already did beat Israel in division C, can't be paired again vs a team like Israel in path C playoffs (or similar...).

So yes, according to this, a group F with Germany, Hungary, Austria... and Switzerland - I am all for it :wink: .
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Vickzq wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 And maybe avoid UEFA Nations League 'repetitions' per regulation - so a team like Scotland, that already did beat Israel in division C, can't be paired again vs a team like Israel in path C playoffs (or similar...).
I will be happy if Israel won't be paired with a team that beat it :)
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

BurningStorm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 22:09

In Germany it's almost forgotten as it was a part of the horrible 'World Cup '18 era'. :wink: Other friendlies at this time like the Saudi-Arabia game (only 2-1 thanks to ter Stegen who saved a penalty) were even worse and the World Cup was the icing on the cake, in a negative way...

I just think that Austria usually disappoint in big tournaments when I remember the EURO's '08 and '16 and home games against you and Hungary should bring us positive results to start the tournament, especially since I expect France from pot 2 in our group...
in the 2000`s Austria had a football like "recession" in NT and at Uefa club level. So 2008 Euro came too early to Austria. In 2016 they already had a good team but negative circumstances (thin player contingent along with some long time injuries and thus key players did not have sufficient match practice for EM, missed penalty vs Iceland, last minute goal conceded etc) reduced their potential significantly. This time AUT has a much more broader player coningent and even a better quality almost all players now play in good clubs and not few of them are key players there. So there should be a much more better starting position for this Euro EC. The gap to top teams is now closer than before.

I as well would like to see a group F with GER, SUI, AUT and HUN.
kleber

Post by kleber »

It is a nuclear bomb in the russian sport.

Not only the olympics games,likely russia will be banned from all international sport compettions till 2022.

Still likely russia can play with a neutral and hymm flag.

So "uefa team of russian players" lol
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

kleber wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 It is a nuclear bomb in the russian sport.

Not only the olympics games,likely russia will be banned from all international sport compettions till 2022.

WADA decision will be made on 8 December. They suggest banning Russia from organizing all international sports events in the next 4 yours. If that happens, I could see the St Petersburg games being moved to Brussels.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Club-Mate wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:27
BurningStorm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 22:09

in the 2000`s Austria had a football like "recession" in NT and at Uefa club level. So 2008 Euro came too early to Austria. In 2016 they already had a good team but negative circumstances (thin player contingent along with some long time injuries and thus key players did not have sufficient match practice for EM, missed penalty vs Iceland, last minute goal conceded etc) reduced their potential significantly. This time AUT has a much more broader player coningent and even a better quality almost all players now play in good clubs and not few of them are key players there. So there should be a much more better starting position for this Euro EC. The gap to top teams is now closer than before.

I as well would like to see a group F with GER, SUI, AUT and HUN.
I know this team as many of the players are in the German Bundesliga. And I agree, there is some quality and normally you are good enough to beat the likes of Hungary and probably Iceland too. But 4 years ago the team was even in a better shape, at least many people thought it before the tournament has started, some Austrians called their own team "Geheimfavorit" (dark horse pick) which was nonsense, of course. But I was really surprised how bad their performances have been in the end. Maybe there was too much pressure for the inexperienced team.
Witkop1983

Post by Witkop1983 »

nogomet wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:08

WADA decision will be made on 8 December. They suggest banning Russia from organizing all international sports events in the next 4 yours. If that happens, I could see the St Petersburg games being moved to Brussels.

didn't UEFA already accept and after that cancel Brussels? Would make more sense to move the games to Cardiff (if Wales is in the group) or maybe even Helsinki (not sure about their stadium)
YAYgee

Post by YAYgee »

Witkop1983 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 13:53
nogomet wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:08

didn't UEFA already accept and after that cancel Brussels? Would make more sense to move the games to Cardiff (if Wales is in the group) or maybe even Helsinki (not sure about their stadium)
Wales were bidding as well. Like Belgium's bid the Welsh one was denied. With plenty of bids from the British isles already accepted the objection still stands. It goes against the pan-European approach of 2020 to add yet another venue from that corner of Europe.

The Euro for Europe taking place in the capital of Europe makes more sense, especially as Brussels is well-connected to European cities. Belgium would then be one of the hosts that's also a favourite, like Italy, England, Spain and Germany. Yet I doubt Russia will lose the honour to host.