2022 WC Qatar

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
perica

Post by perica »

EURO 2020 has nothing to do with WC 2022. It can be used for qualifying group stage, but why to reuse it for a playoff?

Speaking about old glory, since introducing Elo rating, it will be a lot of "old glory" impact. Starting points teams achieved at July 2018 will not be changed significantly if they keep achieving average results.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

amirbachar wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:27
Seeding for the playoffs would almost surely be based on FIFA Rankings, same as it has always been. The host for the finals would probably be determined by draw, not sure about the semi finals
What moved me to say that is the fact that results-based ranking was always used to determine either which runner-up won direct qualification or got eliminated. But as you all say, seeding for the WCQ playoffs participants, however they were chosen, has always been based on FIFA rankings. And since all runners-up will be in, I guess you're right.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

perica wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 23:58 EURO 2020 has nothing to do with WC 2022. It can be used for qualifying group stage, but why to reuse it for a playoff?
Because basing the seeding on a sample of only 8 games in the most recent qualifying is just too small of a sample, and does not reflect the true strength of a team. When the sample is this small, one fluke result can have major implications on the overall seeding, e.g. whether Portugal ends up in Pot 1 or Pot 3, which is nonsense. Anything can happen in one given game, the sample has to be bigger than that.
Falco

Post by Falco »

This seems like a completely radical idea but..... why bother with playoff seeding at all? Just put the 12 teams into a bowl and draw them out like the FA Cup
Lusankya

Post by Lusankya »

Falco wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:54 This seems like a completely radical idea but..... why bother with playoff seeding at all? Just put the 12 teams into a bowl and draw them out like the FA Cup
UEFA probably wants the best teams at the world cup, in order to not give FIFA any more reason to cut berths for European teams.
Falco

Post by Falco »

amirbachar wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:33 I really like this solution of giving the spots to group winners only. The best 2 group winners in Euro 2020 qualifying were Bosnia from League B and Scotland from League C. It is quite likely to be the case in 2020 that the best performing group C winner will qualify to the playoffs (even though there will be 32 teams in Leagues A+B)
With the possible exception of Greece, I can't see any teams from League C making the top 2 in their World Cup Qualifying Group
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

Falco wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:54 This seems like a completely radical idea but..... why bother with playoff seeding at all? Just put the 12 teams into a bowl and draw them out like the FA Cup
yes in fact, i think like you ... but i also have to be with those who say that FIFA wants the best Europeans for the 2022 world championship (but also in the past and maybe it will always be) :roll:
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Falco wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:27
amirbachar wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:33 I really like this solution of giving the spots to group winners only. The best 2 group winners in Euro 2020 qualifying were Bosnia from League B and Scotland from League C. It is quite likely to be the case in 2020 that the best performing group C winner will qualify to the playoffs (even though there will be 32 teams in Leagues A+B)
With the possible exception of Greece, I can't see any teams from League C making the top 2 in their World Cup Qualifying Group
I meant as a NL group winner, since at least 7 of the 8 group winners in Leagues A+B would qualify.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

angel_87 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:08
yes in fact, i think like you ... but i also have to be with those who say that FIFA wants the best Europeans for the 2022 world championship (but also in the past and maybe it will always be) :roll:
Sadly, I don't think they even think that way.

STILL Oceania owns a second spot at both U World Cups taken from UEFA and UEFA does nothing about it. If I was there, I'd never shut up about it. It's grossly insulting. UEFA made the "demand" of 3 extra places while weaker confederations aimed higher and got more. I would have seen getting anything below 18 places for UEFA as absolute failure, and would have started out looking for 22. Yes, 9/16, because you aim for the stars, not the moon at the start. Oceania understood that, one tiniest glimmer of opportunity they turned into two auto places at both U World Cups. And they still have it! We didn't even aim for the damn moon at the start, so others aimed for the stars and got the stars.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Russia is banned from WADA from 2022 World Cup.

Well it was suspicious from the start how the Russian veterans found impressive stamina and physical power (in comparison with the usual performace of Russia in events)in 2018.

I suppose they will appeal to CAS.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Firnen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 Russia is banned from WADA from 2022 World Cup.

Well it was suspicious from the start how the Russian veterans found impressive stamina and physical power (in comparison with the usual performace of Russia in events)in 2018.

I suppose they will appeal to CAS.
They have 2+ years to Put_in russia back again
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

rpo.castro wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 14:34 They have 2+ years to Put_in russia back again
The draw for the European World Cup qualifiers is in about 1 year. If they are suspended they also can't take part in the qualifiers I guess.
kleber

Post by kleber »

Forza AZ wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 16:13
rpo.castro wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 14:34 They have 2+ years to Put_in russia back again
The draw for the European World Cup qualifiers is in about 1 year. If they are suspended they also can't take part in the qualifiers I guess.
qualifiers are organize by uefa,they can play.

but than if they qualify it will be hilarious situation. :lol: :lol:

they will go as a neutral team.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

kleber wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 18:22

There's some details here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50716196

To us fans, nothing will really change if Russia make it through qualifying. Unless FIFA don't let it happen, but I doubt that will happen.
kleber

Post by kleber »

Lorric wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 18:28
kleber wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 18:22

There's some details here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50716196

To us fans, nothing will really change if Russia make it through qualifying. Unless FIFA don't let it happen, but I doubt that will happen.
even for russia,players and coaches will be a joke to play in qatar as a team of neutrals of fifa....come on they will not go.