Euro 2020

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Lyonnais wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 15:41 130€ is not nothing!

last time I went to Russia, I had to pay around 100 € per person and I was upset about this.
But if there wasn't EU you would have to pay this for a lot more countries. Its what it is. We pay too many taxes (and in Portugal we have the higher taxes-in % of individual income).
Ed

Post by Ed »

Did I say 'somewhere this month' ? I meant 'somewhere this week' :mrgreen:

Here are complete detailed simulations of the EURO 2020 (plus qualification play-offs): http://www.football-rankings.info/2019/ ... -2019.html
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Ed wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:52 Did I say 'somewhere this month' ? I meant 'somewhere this week' :mrgreen:

Here are complete detailed simulations of the EURO 2020 (plus qualification play-offs): http://www.football-rankings.info/2019/ ... -2019.html
So out of the projected third-placed teams, the simulations suggest:

Switzerland
Germany
Poland
Austria

should qualify for the R16, while

Russia
Czechia

should be the two eliminated third-placed teams.

That means that the projected knockout bracket looks like this:

Denmark - Poland
Italy - Ukraine

France - Switzerland
Croatia - Sweden
--
Spain - Austria
England - Portugal

Netherlands - Germany
Belgium - Turkey

Suddenly, the Dutch route looks incredibly difficult. I like Croatia's bracket, but would prefer that France and Germany switch places. In that case I could see a path for us leading all the way to the final.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Pretty sobering as I thought it would be. The home semis and final do have an effect, but our odds are actually lower than I thought they'd be. Only 8th most likely to get to the semis, which improves to 6th most likely to be in the final and 5th most likely to win the trophy. But it's only a 7.21% chance of victory. It's pretty open in terms of winner though, and I think it's more other teams eating into the 100% than clear cut favourites, with even top dog Spain only at 15.6%.

I'm surprised Denmark can get over Belgium in their group with home advantage but Germany can't get over France or Portugal.

Turkey even without winning their group still have surprisingly high success chances.
Vidibreovo

Post by Vidibreovo »

subway14 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:25
Vidibreovo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39(Serbian citizens need visa for UK 130€, 2 weeks waiting...)
as if that's gonna stop anyone :lol:
Yeah, especialy if you know that average salary in Serbia is around 430€....
Na svoju veru na svoju zemlju ponosan sam ja, za jedan grad na balkanu i klub u njemu zivim ja...
Ed

Post by Ed »

Lorric wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:47 I'm surprised Denmark can get over Belgium in their group with home advantage but Germany can't get over France or Portugal.
Belgium has two away matches in the group and that's elo-ratingwise a bad situation for them. In my opinion that explains Belgium's unexpected low probabilities in the knock-out stages.
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

rpo.castro wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 17:16 But if there wasn't EU you would have to pay this for a lot more countries. Its what it is. We pay too many taxes (and in Portugal we have the higher taxes-in % of individual income).
Nice fantasy.
You must be VERY YOUNG to believe this, because you don't know it otherwise. Even without EU there were hardly any VISA regulations within Europe - except if we go back long enough to find 'the iron curtain', or you mean longer stay (or for work).

If it's for simple travel, in Europe - before EU - it was very similar as it is for most western european country citizens going to e.g. Hong Kong. Nothing special needed, unless you stay longer than 3 months.
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Vickzq wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 16:31
rpo.castro wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 17:16 But if there wasn't EU you would have to pay this for a lot more countries. Its what it is. We pay too many taxes (and in Portugal we have the higher taxes-in % of individual income).
Nice fantasy.
You must be VERY YOUNG to believe this, because you don't know it otherwise. Even without EU there were hardly any VISA regulations within Europe - except if we go back long enough to find 'the iron curtain', or you mean longer stay (or for work).

If it's for simple travel, in Europe - before EU - it was very similar as it is for most western european country citizens going to e.g. Hong Kong. Nothing special needed, unless you stay longer than 3 months.
Not so young and not so easy back then (with people being arrested by crossing the border without VISA, just to get a new life in germany or france, and in West Europe).
Now you can travel across europe with no reservations, even being out of EU due to bi-lateral agreements. There are a few exceptions like UK or Russia with more strick rules
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

nogomet wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:53 So out of the projected third-placed teams, the simulations suggest:

Switzerland
Germany
Poland
Austria

should qualify for the R16, while

Russia
Czechia

should be the two eliminated third-placed teams.
etc

I enjoy simulations just as much as you do :applause: . But the fact they attribute some teams still in UEFA Nations League playoffs higher chances to even reach the final of the tournament at EURO 2020 - compared to teams that are atleast assured qualification, with decent chance to reach a good place in group - clearly illustrates how theoretical that whole construct of this simulation is... enjoy it "cum grano salis" :wink: .
"Help a man when he is in trouble... and he will remember you... the day he is in trouble again."
- old chinese proverb
Vickzq

Post by Vickzq »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 16:45 Now you can travel across europe with no reservations, even being out of EU due to bi-lateral agreements. There are a few exceptions like UK or Russia with more strick rules
What exact country couldn't you easily visit within Europe BEFORE the time of the European Union, except for the ones you pretty much might need just a similar visa as 'back then'?
Has nothing to do with bi-lateral agreements or EU memberships... you wanted to go there, you simply went there (change of currency, identifying documents... and potential longer check at borders included).

Former Yugoslavia? Piece of cake... never needed anything to go there.
- old chinese proverb
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Vickzq wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 16:51
rpo.castro wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 16:45 Now you can travel across europe with no reservations, even being out of EU due to bi-lateral agreements. There are a few exceptions like UK or Russia with more strick rules
What exact country couldn't you easily visit within Europe BEFORE the time of the European Union, except for the ones you pretty much might need just a similar visa as 'back then'?
Has nothing to do with bi-lateral agreements or EU memberships... you wanted to go there, you simply went there (change of currency, identifying documents... and potential longer check at borders included).

Portugal to Spain border: lots of portuguese immigrants had to run illegally in the night or would be arrested. Also smuggling was very common and very important source of income for poor people.
People circulation without VISA was allowed a few years before joinning EU but not circulation of goods until 93 when Portugal and Spain joined Schengen Space agreement
Todor

Post by Todor »

Vickzq wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 16:51

Bulgarians were required visas to enter Western Europe until 2001 and to visit the UK until 2007.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Thanks Ed. Very interesting simulation!

Just a question to make sure I understand it properly. Spain - who is the main favourite to win the Euro as per your simulation - is currently the 3rd European team in the ELO ranking. Does that mean that you recalculate the ELO points for the teams after every game simulated ?
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Witkop1983

Post by Witkop1983 »

I wonder what would happen if Russia gets excluded.

Will it mean Scotland qualifies and Greece takes their spot in the playoffs?
subway14

Post by subway14 »

Witkop1983 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 21:03 I wonder what would happen if Russia gets excluded.

Will it mean Scotland qualifies and Greece takes their spot in the playoffs?
the ban doesn't apply to UEFA competitions afaik