1st qualifying round Champions League 2020-21

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Park

Post by Park »

bugylibicska wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 00:23 Group 1: Bad news that Djurgarden - arguably the strongest of all unseeded - are in Fradi's group. The good news is that only 33% chance to get them, the other 2 teams weaker than Fradi. If they couldn't overcome them, better to disband the football association in Hungary.
Bad luck, they play against Djurgarden.

Complete draw:
Ferencváros (HUN) vs Djurgården (SWE)
Celtic (SCO) vs KR Reykjavík (ISL)
Legia Warszawa (POL) vs Drita (KOS)/Linfield (NIR)
Sheriff (MDA) vs Fola Esch (LUX)
Connah's Quay (WAL) vs Sarajevo (BIH)
Crvena zvezda (SRB) vs Europa (GIB)
Budućnost Podgorica (MNE) vs Ludogorets (BUL)
Ararat-Armenia (ARM) vs Omonia (CYP)
Floriana (MLT) vs CFR Cluj (ROU)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) vs Riga (LVA)
Qarabağ (AZE) vs Sileks (MKD)
Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) vs Tirana (ALB)
Dynamo Brest (BLR) vs Astana (KAZ)
Molde (NOR) vs KuPS (FIN)
Flora Tallinn (EST) vs Sūduva (LTU)
Celje (SVN) vs Dundalk (IRL)
KÍ (FRO) vs Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
Last edited by Park on Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Perfect draw for Celtic, but I wanted Linfield to get Ferencvaros, and they're away. Perfect draw for Connay's Quay but I wanted Europa to get Sheriff, and they're away. So two perfects and two worst possibles. Dundalk also got the worst possible draw, Celje away.

Among the rest, Ararat Armenia seem to have been given the best chance from their group, Omonia at home. Baltic battle between Flora and Suduva. Maybe Brest vs Astana is the strongest tie?

Seeds are at home 9/8 times. All seeds from group 1 are at home, all unseeds from group 3 are at home. They're going to need it.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

2nd worst draw but atleast its not Ararat so ill take it. Unfortunately we are away. Lets hope it wont matter that much. From what i remember Ludo had no trouble with their last matches with a team from Montenegro (i could be wrong) so more of the same please!
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Very pleased with Legia draw. Just couldn't be better :banana:

Ferencváros - Djurgården and Dinamo Brest - Astana definitely most interesting in this round.
Slovanista

Post by Slovanista »

Very good draw for Slovan, I hope that our players will not underestimate Klaksvik. 8)
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Anything else than home win will be a huge upset :

Crvena zvezda (SRB) vs Europa (GIB)
Celtic (SCO) vs KR Reykjavík (ISL)
Legia Warszawa (POL) vs Drita (KOS)/Linfield (NIR)
Qarabağ (AZE) vs Sileks (MKD)

Clear favourite, small chance of upset :

Budućnost Podgorica (MNE) vs Ludogorets (BUL)
KÍ (FRO) vs Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
Molde (NOR) vs KuPS (FIN)
Ararat-Armenia (ARM) vs Omonia (CYP)
Floriana (MLT) vs CFR Cluj (ROU)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) vs Riga (LVA)
Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) vs Tirana (ALB)

Bring it on !

Sheriff (MDA) vs Fola Esch (LUX)
Connah's Quay (WAL) vs Sarajevo (BIH)
Dynamo Brest (BLR) vs Astana (KAZ)
Flora Tallinn (EST) vs Sūduva (LTU)
Celje (SVN) vs Dundalk (IRL)
Ferencváros (HUN) vs Djurgården (SWE)
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

I guess the away goals rule won't be applied. Although I think it should. This would balance out the disadvantage of having to play away from home. Extra time and penalties should only be used when the score is 0-0.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

At least Fradi play at home, but this is a tough draw. The tie of the round. Dynamo Brest - Astana the next one and Celje - Dundalk also interesting. I'm glad Ararat-Armenia get a chance, Omonia at home arguably the best option. Qarabag - Sileks, Dinamo Tbilisi - Tirana, Sheriff - Fola Esch all favourable to the home teams, if only for the home advantage. Sarajevo away to Connah's Quay might be tricky, then the Baltic derby Flora - Suduva and Molde - KuPS might be interesting. The rest are pretty much a done deal, too lopsided.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

the worst draw is for Djurgarden, they have to play away, so not that bad for Ferencvaros.
It's very hot in Podgorica at this time so Ludo take enough water and suncream with you.
Celtic will hammer down a weak team for the last time in Q1 but then it's over with the fun for longer time. They'll get what they want
Sarajevo how will you go to Qonnah's Quay? Take a plane to Liverpool have a short look to Ainfield road (do not get too much sensible there) and take a bycicle southwards.
Sheriff for Fola Esch - is this ok for you Malko?
Ovalman

Post by Ovalman »

As I said on another post, don't write Linfield off.

I follow their biggest rivals Glentoran (they were handed the league on a plate BTW but that's another story) and they've made a couple of brilliant signings (one from us) but they have turned more or less professional thanks to a decent run in the CL where they went out on away goals for a place in the CL. They've a very strong squad (so have we) in all departments.

My only thinking is match practice but I suspect Legia are in the same boat. It will be a very tight game.

The NI league has improved massively overy the past 12 months btw.
Juliusz wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:55 Very pleased with Legia draw. Just couldn't be better :banana:

Ferencváros - Djurgården and Dinamo Brest - Astana definitely most interesting in this round.
ffero

Post by ffero »

KÍ Klaksvik - Slovan Bratislava

Looking at weather forecast for Klaksvik - there is about 13-14 Cels. max. temperature in two weeks, compare to Bratislava (32C), maybe this could be a problem for player adaptation..
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

spoonman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 14:11 I guess the away goals rule won't be applied. Although I think it should. This would balance out the disadvantage of having to play away from home. Extra time and penalties should only be used when the score is 0-0.
You can't use away goals rule if not both teams have a chance to score an away goal. You also don't have away goals in national Cups.

UEFA already reduced the home advantage by not allowing any fans at the matches.
krdel

Post by krdel »

Fans are not allowed even where they are allowed? That is for sure?

Because Celje wass selling their season tickets advertising that they are also for Europe. :lol:
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Ovalman wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 16:29 As I said on another post, don't write Linfield off.

I follow their biggest rivals Glentoran (they were handed the league on a plate BTW but that's another story) and they've made a couple of brilliant signings (one from us) but they have turned more or less professional thanks to a decent run in the CL where they went out on away goals for a place in the CL. They've a very strong squad (so have we) in all departments.

My only thinking is match practice but I suspect Legia are in the same boat. It will be a very tight game.

The NI league has improved massively overy the past 12 months btw.
Juliusz wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:55 Very pleased with Legia draw. Just couldn't be better :banana:

I don't write them off, just wanted to avoid Djurgården, I consider KR as a better club too.

Legia is able to be eliminated in any circumstances, as any Polish club, especially in the first rounds. The best thing in this draw is the home game. Actually, we will need to see what happens in the preliminary round final. Drita and Kosovo are rated low because they still have blank seasons in the ranking. Their sporting strength can be quite decent actually. Yesterday it wasn't very easy for both Linfield and Drita, so the Tuesday game can be tight too.
ConorCCFC

Post by ConorCCFC »

Probably the worst draw for Dundalk, toughest opponent and away. They haven't started well since the season restarted.