War in Ukraine

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
Jarecki59

War in Ukraine

Post by Jarecki59 »

Russia's attack on Ukraine has become a fact.
Should UEFA react to these events?
Is it possible to play the Champions League final in Saint Petersburg in the city of the country that started the war in Europe?
Should Russian clubs be excluded from UEFA competitions?
Will Gazprom's money be more important than human life, decency and humanitarianism?
Many questions, and the most basic, will UEFA react to these events?
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Immediate ban for all Russian clubs and national teams from all UEFA/FIFA competitions. There is no alternative.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

The ban needs to be for all competitions for this cycle and next cycle. If it is just until the situation returns to “normal” it will have no impact.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

In addition, UEFA should terminate the contract with Gazprom, effective immediately.
quelhar

Post by quelhar »

I also do not see any other way but since this is UEFA we are talking about, I do not see them banning russian clubs from european competitions, throwing away their sweet Gazprom deal and maybe, just maybe they will be forced to move CL final elsewhere, partly if all CL clubs will unanimously state that they will not travel to Russia to play the final, if they reach the final. I think we all should have learned to expect the worst from this association.
SK Slavia Praha fan
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

To see Gazprom commercials during Champions League broadcasts and on the sidelines of the pitch would be really bizarre at this point. It would be a PR disaster for UEFA and I don't see how they can justify keeping this contract.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

UEFA should follow the lead from our national governments and the EU, and not the opposite way around. It is those organisations that need to act decisively and collectively.

Then UEFA will act accordingly, I am sure.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Well, I underestimated Putin. I didn't think he was going to go for it all. I hope our Ukrainian members will be safe.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I know they'll just wait for Zenit to be knocked out but all Russian clubs should be banned until this is done, no advertising for Gazprom and move the CL final.

Putin is an absolute lunatic.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Richie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:18 I know they'll just wait for Zenit to be knocked out but all Russian clubs should be banned until this is done, no advertising for Gazprom and move the CL final.

Putin is an absolute lunatic.
Them and Spartak
krdel

Post by krdel »

No sanctions are needed as politics should not interfer in sports. It is a conflict between two countries and should be settled between them.

If anything in some time UEFA should accept Doneck and Lugansk as they did with Serbian province of Kosovo.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

krdel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:58 No sanctions are needed as politics should not interfer in sports. It is a conflict between two countries and should be settled between them.

If anything in some time UEFA should accept Doneck and Lugansk as they did with Serbian province of Kosovo.
Its not a "conflict". its a war that evil Russian dictator is waging on Ukraine.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

UEFA's entire anti-Superleague PR campaign was built on the narrative that they "stand in the way of greed and selfishness in football".
How they handle the situation with Gazprom and Russia is an opportunity for them to practice what they preach.
Richie

Post by Richie »

krdel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:58 No sanctions are needed as politics should not interfer in sports. It is a conflict between two countries and should be settled between them.

No, its a Russian war started by a despot.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Conflict was between Poland and Soviet Russia between 1919-20, where both sides had territorial claims. If a burglar tries to invade my house for robbery and I will try to stop him - does it mean that we have a conflict?