UEFA-CONMEBOL Club Challenge (19 July 2023) - Sevilla FC vs Independiente del Valle

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
amenina

Post by amenina »

As_Contas_do_Título wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 16:54 With the revamped quadriennal World Club Cup, I think there is no logic (or time schedule) in mantaining a 6/7 team competition annually (now with a new name). They could, at most, recover the old UEFA/CONMEBOL match, not more. But money always talks.
For the annual tournament, the UEFA club champions are directly in the "final", and so will only play one match. They will play the winner of an inter-continental play-off between the other continental champions (AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, OFC), though at this point we don't know the format of that play-off. So basically it is sort of a revival of the old Inter-continental Cup, just that the European team is not necessarily playing a South American team.
As_Contas_do_Título

Post by As_Contas_do_Título »

amenina wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 17:05
As_Contas_do_Título wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 16:54 With the revamped quadriennal World Club Cup, I think there is no logic (or time schedule) in mantaining a 6/7 team competition annually (now with a new name). They could, at most, recover the old UEFA/CONMEBOL match, not more. But money always talks.
For the annual tournament, the UEFA club champions are directly in the "final", and so will only play one match. They will play the winner of an inter-continental play-off between the other continental champions (AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, OFC), though at this point we don't know the format of that play-off. So basically it is sort of a revival of the old Inter-continental Cup, just that the European team is not necessarily playing a South American team.
I know they'll play only one match (one less than today, when they begin in the semifinals). But that will also mean that other teams will have to play more games to reach the final, since the number of teams will be similar (7 now, 6 or 7 in the future competition), which will make it even less fair.
amenina

Post by amenina »

As_Contas_do_Título wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 17:27
amenina wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 17:05
I know they'll play only one match (one less than today, when they begin in the semifinals). But that will also mean that other teams will have to play more games to reach the final, since the number of teams will be similar (7 now, 6 or 7 in the future competition), which will make it even less fair.
Basically the teams from the other continents are going to play their own separate tournament (you can call it the "Rest of the World" Club Cup), because the other confederations still want an annual inter-continental club competition. And the winner of this tournament will on a much later date, be invited to play the UEFA club champions in a one-off match (you can call it the "UEFA-Rest of the World" Intercontinental Cup), probably somewhere in a neutral venue (almost certainly Saudi Arabia in the beginning because of $). And my understanding is the winner of this match is not recognized as "World Club Champions" like the old 7-team annual competition. This new annual tournament is basically a compromise among all confederations to suit everyone's needs.